U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,144 times

Advertisements

If you are in the military do you still have to be 21 to purchase a handgun? I want to purchase one so my fiancée can use it in case of emergency while I am deployed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,053,907 times
yes, you have to be 21. You can buy a rifle or shotgun though. If you are truly worried, get a small gauge shot gun. At least she doesn't have to be accurate.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:11 PM

3,305 posts, read 5,143,397 times
A shotgun would be a lot better when it comes to home defense. Pump and pray. Make sure she is comfy with it before you leave.

Also thank you for your service

Old 08-17-2010, 07:34 PM

448 posts, read 740,017 times
Same thing as MrBojangles, thanks for your service. Have no idea about NC gun laws but wanted to thank you anyway

Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 PM

22 posts, read 20,306 times
Good advice on the pump shotgun. Like they say..learn how to use it.

Some low brass # 8's(dove loads) are fine for home protection and don't kick much.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM

3,305 posts, read 5,143,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROBERT1 View Post
Good advice on the pump shotgun. Like they say..learn how to use it.

Some low brass # 8's(dove loads) are fine for home protection and don't kick much.
A shotgun pump is A LOT more intimidating then cocking a pistol.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,533 times
Don't purchase a pistol and leave it with a girlfriend, fiancée or anyone else for that matter. You might run into the problem transferring of a firearm to someone NOT authorized to have it. That oversight could be very costly indeed.

I agree with those who advocate shotguns for home defense. My first choice Remington 870 pump chambered in 12gauge 2.5 or 3 inch magnum. Although the magnum is not really necessary, it does offer flexibility in ammo and power for home defense and hunting use. The first round loaded would be a No.6 dove shot followed by No.4 Buckshot. Federal makes a wonderful PDX1 round, composed of copper disks and shot. It makes a real mess of things and it is a real attention gainer. I use the PDX1 in my Judge!

The first round fired should be fired center mass, (Between the belly and chest area) of the target intruder. NEVER let the intruder get any closer than 10 feet. Rule of thumb in your home, you set the location, where you choose to join fight. If you see him, SHOOT HIM! You DO NOT want to give the intruder the opportunity to take the shotgun away from you and kill you with it. And, that requires training! No, that DEMANDS competent training! We are talking life and death here. Quite possibly YOURS! Keep in mind that an average man in average shape can cover a distance of 7 yards or 21 feet in 1.8 seconds. That does not leave one with a helluva lot of time to think about what you are going to do. That is where the training comes in.

Training helps to develop a seasoned comfort with the firearm and by shooting staged scenario events the shooter develops not only confidence in his or her ability to handle the firearm safely under very stressful circumstances; it also helps the shooter develop a presence of mind under stress. And your presences of mind, under stress, will determine a righteous shooting in defense of your life as opposed to an unlawful shooting that ruins the remainder of your life. Train for the worst case scenario and pray you never have to use it, yet remain supremely confident that you can lawfully use deadly force to protect your God given right to live your life as you choose to live it.

If you are not willing to invest the time and money, and expend the ammunition necessary, to train to a level of expertise to competently handle a firearm safely and use it lawfully, then you need to leave guns alone. You'll live longer!

Semper Fidelis,
Major Leatherneck!

Last edited by Major Leatherneck; 03-02-2011 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Word smithing

Old 03-02-2011, 09:43 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,047,832 times
^ Holy smokes! I bet you could kill a guy using only a paper clip!

But you are completely correct. It's not smart just to hand over a gun to someone and say "Here, protect yourself while I'm gone". OP, if you're serious about this, you should have your fiancee spend some time at the shooting range and invest in a gun safety course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina