U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM

4 posts, read 13,318 times

Advertisements

In our HOA there is nothing about landscaping,how tall your grass can be or what you can plant.The board is trying to tell my husband,and I that we have to submit to them what we want to plant.Is this legal. benniesway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 PM

16,301 posts, read 24,893,102 times
Sounds like a clear cut example of harassment by a committee of busy body neighbors.

If it is poorly written, (to protect the property owners) then very possibly they can just make stuff up as they go.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn byington View Post
In our HOA there is nothing about landscaping,how tall your grass can be or what you can plant.The board is trying to tell my husband,and I that we have to submit to them what we want to plant.Is this legal. benniesway
Whatever rules they enforce is covered in your covenants.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM

64 posts, read 176,775 times
Default This is my first HOA

I did a lot of research on HOA's when we decided to move to NC, because every house we looked at seemed to have them. The NC Planned Community Act was a little to "technical" for me - I couldn't figure out what the practical applications would be - negatively or positively. Yes, I read our development's covenants, and agree with what's written - but how will they be managed? Do we really want to pay for a management company to litigate for minor problems or force the sale of a home to pay back dues?

It seems that most people are happy with their HOA's. Zogby's survey showed for every dissatisfied person, their were 7 who rated them positively. And it seemed like the real horror stories - HOA's litigating against homeowners and losing, and homeowners having assessments (up to $1000) added to cover the HOA's cost - seem to be in California.

So far, I've been pleasantly surprised with the HOA processes and the developer in regard to managing the HOA. And yet, I can't seem to lose the "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 7,702 times
NC kannapolis,1) Can a Hoa be formed if the developer still owns common area? 2)Does the developer Start the HOA seen his name is still on land there?3) 300.00 a year is alot of money, and we have nothing at all!4) And they hired ( the 2 member board) a property management for big buck, and also a Lawyer?

Old 01-27-2009, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 7,702 times
Please help with the above questions?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 11,524 times
Last year I spent several thousand dollars trying to sue the person that has majority ownership in an 11 house association set up in the 60's. This person is NOT providing where dues are going and if they are paying their dues. I paid for an audit that showed nothing but misc. receipts made up. My attorney at the time said I was out of luck because they have majority rule and can do what they want. There is 3 people including me that are willing to put our dues in a separate bank account until they become more accountable, I am advised that we can be sued for dues owed it would take a year or more for the amount to become substantial. My question is should I hire another lawyer to take the obvious co-mingling of funds to the State of NC? Is there any teeth in the State Laws? I did a quick over view but alas that wasn't any help. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 6,011 times
There was a bill passed in Oct of 2009. It is bill 806 in the General Assemby also North Carolina Cummunity Act. All states are changing the laws for HOA's accross the country. They are not schooled in taking the positions that they do and if they don't like someone they will pick on that person and make their lives miserable. There should be a federal law passed that requires all Board members of an HOA to take a seminar in taking over their postion. Good luck to you.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,011 times
NC has many State laws that protect homeowners that are involved with HOA's General Assemby just passed a bill in Oct 2009 that helps homeowners and takes away all the power from the HOA House Bill 806. All states are doing this as it is a huge waste of Tax paer money to go to to court over 300 or less in some cases.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:26 PM

4 posts, read 11,524 times
terilee, thank you I will look for the bill and read it. She still takes my money and doesn't send me anything on what or where it is getting spent. Amazing!! Because I sued her she sends minutes to other HOA members, but in the minutes she does not provide receipts or any accounting.

And she admits she doesn't pay her dues ontime. I NEED to make her accountable, and so therefore I am very appreciative of your response. Thanks again, Sharon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or