U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 09:08 AM

102 posts, read 184,003 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a buddy and he told me that if you live in NC you can go to state college for free. How can this be true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,339,083 times
It isn't.

Certainly some scholarship winners will go to college for "free" but the majority will either pay or get financial aid.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,169,532 times
Never heard of that.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,507,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith420 View Post
I was talking with a buddy and he told me that if you live in NC you can go to state college for free. How can this be true?
We don't have that in NC - but Louisiana does, though students have to qualify by meeting certain requirements (like being a graduate of a La. high school and maintaining full time status, among others).

Affording College: Louisiana TOPS Program

Old 08-18-2010, 12:10 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,734,808 times
To get a free ride at Chapel Hill, you need to win the Morehead Scholarship:
The Morehead-Cain Scholars Program UNC Chapel Hill

Old 08-18-2010, 02:30 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith420 View Post
It's not. In-state tuition at state universities is much cheaper for qualified residents (who've lived here at least a year) but it's not "free" unless you win a special scholarship (just like in most other states). You might ask your friend the source of his "information".

Old 08-19-2010, 07:36 PM

1,490 posts, read 5,230,759 times
There is this program. https://www.cfnc.org/paying/schol/ncltg.jsp

It covered almost all the costs for my son who attended Mount Olive College while waiting to join the USAF.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:45 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Not happening in NC. Our "education lottery" money has been siphoned off, big time.

I think GA has this program, and possibly SC, too. You need to have the grades.

In regard to state schools, it is pretty hard to get into the better state universities if you are in state. Lots of competition, and the out of state students, to which there is a limit, are much more lucrative.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,411,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
In regard to state schools, it is pretty hard to get into the better state universities if you are in state. Lots of competition, and the out of state students, to which there is a limit, are much more lucrative.
Hmm, being in-state is far, FAR easier to get into UNC-CH, NCSU, etc than from out-of-state. Precisely because of what you say: there is a cap on out-of-staters (18%, I believe). So you have 82% from NC and 18% from the other 49 states and afar; it's much easier to get into a UNC System school from NC (which, of course, is the point). Yes, it's much more competitive than it used to be, because NC's population has grown so much and thus the bar has been raised. But your statement "In regard to state schools, it is pretty hard to get into the better state universities if you are in state." makes it sound as if being instate is actually a hindrance, when in fact, people pull every trick they can think of to be considered "in state" because it is so much easier to get into the state schools if so (as it should be).

Also of note is that children of alumni get put in the "in-state pool" even if out-of-state, when it comes to acceptance (though not tuition).

Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Hmm, being in-state is far, FAR easier to get into UNC-CH, NCSU, etc than from out-of-state. Precisely because of what you say: there is a cap on out-of-staters (18%, I believe). So you have 82% from NC and 18% from the other 49 states and afar; it's much easier to get into a UNC System school from NC (which, of course, is the point). Yes, it's much more competitive than it used to be, because NC's population has grown so much and thus the bar has been raised. But your statement "In regard to state schools, it is pretty hard to get into the better state universities if you are in state." makes it sound as if being instate is actually a hindrance, when in fact, people pull every trick they can think of to be considered "in state" because it is so much easier to get into the state schools if so (as it should be).

Also of note is that children of alumni get put in the "in-state pool" even if out-of-state, when it comes to acceptance (though not tuition).
Uhmmm..you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina