Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,007 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am seriously considering relocating to North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham) in 2011. I am aware from the other posts that I have read that securing a job is the first thing to do before moving there. Here are some questions that I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback for:

1. What industries are hiring?
2. Where can I find affordable housing (i.e. apartment, condo)?
3. How does personal property tax work?
4. What are the annual cultural events that go on in North Carolina?

Looking forward to hearing from you all!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 07:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krpwright View Post
No offense, but what kind of question is that? A better question is: what industry are YOU in? It doesn't much matter what industries are hiring because most people aren't qualified for the vast majority of them.

Where does your own training/experience lie? That's what matters. Then look for companies in that/those field(s). If someone said the field of say, proctology was hiring, it wouldn't do much good for you unless you had a background in that field.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
No offense, but what kind of question is that? A better question is: what industry are YOU in? It doesn't much matter what industries are hiring because most people aren't qualified for the vast majority of them.

Where does your own training/experience lie? That's what matters. Then look for companies in that/those field(s). If someone said the field of say, proctology was hiring, it wouldn't do much good for you unless you had a background in that field.

ROFLMAO -- oh, bad pun.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 08-19-2010 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Hello All,

I am seriously considering relocating to North Carolina (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham) in 2011. I am aware from the other posts that I have read that securing a job is the first thing to do before moving there. Here are some questions that I would appreciate any suggestions or feedback for:

Any industry that has a need?
What industries are you able to provide appropriate skills for?

Quote:
2. Where can I find affordable housing (i.e. apartment, condo)?
ANYWHERE...depends on what type of neighbors you are willing to live near? Generally outside city limits are cheaper rent. costs, taxes. Apartments can be affordable in city limits. Do you want a apt / condo with no lanscape?

Quote:
3. How does personal property tax work?
You pay tax on your car..percentage of value.
Quote:
4. What are the annual cultural events that go on in North Carolina?
WOW...there are so many. My wife and I are looking forward to the Seafood Festival Oct 1-3 in Morehead City.

The hot air balloons in Statesville. Just missed Raleigh Wide open..

Quote:

Looking forward to hearing from you all!! Thanks

Being from the north country ourselves, we understand the excitment LEAVING can create. It affects one focus and we tend to see only the abstract. We need to focus on applying the skills we have and then find an area where we can offer our skills to particular industries / fields.

Living is better here than in Granmole's World. Secure a place in business and then find a residence...Focus is job one...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 08-20-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 PM

What in the world is "Granmole's World"?

Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
What in the world is "Granmole's World"?

Granmole--as in Governor Jennifer Granholm of Michigan is affectionedly known as by the 100 of THOUSANDS ex-patriates...

Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Oh. Yeah, she seems like a waste. I sure hope relocating Michiganers (if that's a term) see the light about electing union-loving, high taxing Democrats. We really don't want them making the South like the messed-up north.

Of course, all the relocators changed Virginia and NC to blue for Obama last time . . . . And got the Oh-so-wonderful Hagan, Perdue etc. Gotta love that straight ballot garbage.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:50 AM

31 posts, read 83,885 times
ex-michiganders are HARD working, including me and my husband. In fact, people love to hire us because we are used to working for little to nothing. Just thought I would say it. Oh, and the South? I love it. Would not want to change it. So sick of the YANKEE bull**** though. I hated Michigan, always. Never wanted to live there. Can't we stop acting like children in middle school when a new student steps in. I am truely a southerner at heart. And ONE more mention of Jennifer Grandholm, I am gonna start a war. New beginnings are what they are. NC is better. I won't choose to remember Michigan. It truely is way better here. Please, be ready to leave Michigan mentality behind.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashfeather View Post
ex-michiganders are HARD working, including me and my husband. In fact, people love to hire us because we are used to working for little to nothing. Just thought I would say it. Oh, and the South? I love it. Would not want to change it. So sick of the YANKEE bull**** though. I hated Michigan, always. Never wanted to live there. Can't we stop acting like children in middle school when a new student steps in. I am truely a southerner at heart. And ONE more mention of Jennifer Grandholm, I am gonna start a war. New beginnings are what they are. NC is better. I won't choose to remember Michigan. It truely is way better here. Please, be ready to leave Michigan mentality behind.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Of course, all the relocators changed Virginia and NC to blue for Obama last time . . . . And got the Oh-so-wonderful Hagan, Perdue etc. Gotta love that straight ballot garbage.
You said this in another thread, but NC has always been Blue at the state level and Purple (for a few decades) at the National level--we typically have close to 50/50 Rep.Dem in the US Senate and House. A large get-out-the-vote effort among racial minorities and young people had more to do with Obama winning NC than with relocators (many of whom are Republicans trying to escape the high-tax Northern Blue states).

Interesting that you're complaining about "out of staters" voting for Hagan (who has lived here her whole life) over Liddy Dole (who left NC in the 1950s and moved back only to run for Senate in 2002. Actually she didn't even move back; she moved her registration).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina