Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 144,165 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have searched this forum prior to posting but couldn't seem to find an answer and I was in hopes someone may be able to give me some direction. I changed auto insurance last year, due to progessive continueally raising my rates, however, had a 11 day lapse in coverage, I thought I was covered until the end of the month and changed companies thinking I had overlapped by 15 days. Guess I was Wrong.

While trying to renew my registration, I was told I had to turn in my plates for 30 days due to the lapse. I am clueless on what to do whereas I have never heard of this before. I never received any notice and just thought that everything was fine. I have a perfect driving record for the past 30 years, never had any insurance issues and/or accidents (knock on wood). I am in total amazment that I could really loose my plates for 30 days. I have spoken to the NC DMV today and they said they would set up a hearing, however, I only have until the end of the month to reregister and I can only assume this hearing will take longer than that time frame.

Does anyone have any insight on this or has had this happened? Turning in my plates and not being able to drive to work would result in me no doubt losing my job. Sorry for the lengthy post and thank you for listening. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:33 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Arrggg!!! This also happened to me! The situation was a bit different, though. It's kind of a long story, but basically, I thought I was paid up for three months before we moved, then about a month after we moved called the insurance company to change address and such and found that my insurance had been cancelled for non-payment! Same deal as you, we would have to turn in our plates on both the cars since the policy was for both. We were also given the option of scheduling an insurance hearing.

We had the insurance hearing last week. It was a complete joke. Basically, it's a court hearing with an uneducated DMV employee...no judge, no jury. Ridiculous. The lady my husband spoke with was so nasty and kept telling him that he was contradicting himself and being illogical ...he has a phd in philosophy from UVA. I'm sure he was not contradicting himself. His life's work has been to find contradictions in other people's writing.... All this to show the type of person you will be dealing with at the hearing. This woman was incapable of following a basic conversation. However, instead of losing our tags we were fined $300 ($150 for each car)...even though she thought he was lying!

Once you schedule the hearing they will put a hold on the tag revocation. I can't remember all the jargon they used for this so I hope it translates. Anyway, then in a month or two they will send you a letter in the mail with a date scheduled for your hearing. The hearing is conducted over the phone. If you don't answer the call at the scheduled time, they automatically revoke your plates.

For what it's worth, even though neither one of us intentionally let our insurance expire, it comforted me to realize that had I gotten in an accident and caused damage to myself or anyone else, it would have been financially devistating to me and/or the other person involved. What if there had been a huge medical bill and the other person didn't have health insurance or the cash to pay for it. Even though I didn't have insurance at the time and that lapse was unintentional, I still would have been financially and morally responsible for the damage. So, to me, I was perfectly willing to take the slap on the wrist.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:58 PM

Thank you Pegotty for your reply, my biggest fear is that I have to reregister the car by the end of this month. Which leads me to another question. I am assuming in your case that you found out about this prior to registering? I just found this out and it gives me only a week to 'get my ducks in a row'. I have asked for the hearing but they have to send the 'paper work', would you happen to know if this will continue to block the registration or will they let me register it while the hearing is waiting to happen?

Thanks again, for your thoughts. I am still shaking my head in amazement that I have never had Any traffic violations in the past 30 years of my life but now it is like I am under arrest with my car. I guess at this point, although I can't afford them, I would gladly pay the fines but I am afraid that I still can't register the car with this 'pending', do you know anything about that?

Old 08-24-2010, 12:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Happened to me too! I turned in the plates and borrowed a car for a month from a friend who had two.
It sucks! BTW, if you are not changing insurance companies, they usually give you a grace period up to a month before they report. At least mine does. The problem for me was that I was out of the country on business and completely forgot about the insurance renewal.
Good luck!!!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,091 times
It happened to me once and I'm trying to remember what happened.

I can't recall if we were fined or not, but we definately did not have to go to court. I would call your insurance company and/or the DMV and ask them what your options are. I remember when I called I said that "If I have no car, I have no job". As I recall I had to go to a DMV office and maybe pay a fine.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, but I do recall that making phone calls helped my situation.

Old 08-24-2010, 01:34 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
I don't know what will happen with the registration. Mine wasn't due at the time. I'm sorry it's such a pain. And, really, a good insurance company with good customer service would have called you because you have such a clean record. I also have a clean driving record and have not had a problem with this before. Ever. I think a decent agent should have called me and said, "Did you know you're insurance is going to cancel in 3 days if you don't pay it?" I'm switching to an agent that takes better care of their people. Unless you personally go to the office and hand them cash and get a receipt there is no guarantee that things like this don't happen on occasion. It should not be this difficult.

Old 08-24-2010, 05:34 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Your new insurer should make sure that you don't have a lapse. Your new company really dropped the ball there. It's up to them to verify that there's no lapse in coverage.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:10 PM

I wondered about that too twingles...but I guess it is what it is at this point and I guess I should have paid closer attention and will in the future. I think it is a bit harse to pull someone's plates for 30 days though. Someone elsewhere mentioned that they had the hearing and were able to get temp plates whereas once it is being reviewed, the revoking plates rule doesn't apply. We shall see.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
happened to me although i didnt know all these things could happen and didn't lose my plates but was fined $100 per car.
i couldnt pay and lapsed one month. the insurance sent me a letter saying we lapsed in coverage and the county promptly sent me a letter stating we needed to pay the fine.
i couldnt afford it in the first place and ended up having to pay the balance to the insurance plus an extra $200...so fun

Old 09-19-2010, 04:25 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,436 times
My daughter just registered her car again last week and found out there was a lapse. All she had to do was pay those days to the state and she was able to register the car without a problem. They said they always send a bill that you can pay online with. You can't pay without it as it gives you a number you need to input on the site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina