Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 18,709 times

Advertisements

Stefanmro hit the nail on the head(partially). We are from Jersey and I have always said the north (ironically) is more segragated then the south. Why do you think the price of homes are astronomically high? Because the white's do not want to live with the blacks, or so it is perceived. In the north east, the black communities have an extremely high crime rate and very poor scoring schools (although they get the most state and government aid and have the highest spending per pupil and the highest paid teachers). What it comes down to is wealth. People associate wealth with color. And as I stated in the beginning, white's do not want to live with black's (or so it is perceived). What it comes down to is wealthy White's and blacks (in the north east) do not want to live close to the high crime areas and poor towns and cities. Unfortunatly in the north you are affluent or poor, the middle class is all but gone. Jersey does not have much land to build on anymore, so to get away from the "bad areas", and give your family the best, you will pay and pay dearly!!! No, blacks and white's are not anymore segregated in the north then the south, the color we are all referring to is GREEN, the color of money. That is what segregates us now, not skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 01:20 PM

21 posts, read 45,033 times
Along with birth right I think the colour of money is a world wide segregator NJ.
Property prices tend to be ruled by the supply and demand formulae and having read a few of your other posts and the examples you cite, US house prices are cheap to reasonable as compared to the UK.
Also like NJ, here available building land is in short supply.
Most problem areas are confined to large cities with a high ethnic mix. In the UK culture diversity laws entitle you to worship which God you chose and to speak your native tongue. However, this has led to areas where English isn’t the first language. This reluctance to speak English lends itself to poor school results.
PhilX

Old 07-01-2007, 07:16 PM

67 posts, read 228,696 times
Does your boss manage your home and social life too? God made skin color, not your boss. Quietly inform your boss that if he has the problem with the color of a person's skin, then he has a problem with God.

While your boss or others are LOOKING DOWN on you because of the choices you make in your friendships, you continue to LOOK UP at God who blessed you with the free will to choose.

Read Psalm 37 and any obstacles in your way will be removed. Your boss and those who think like him will become your stepping stools.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:12 PM

55 posts, read 159,215 times
I can only talk from limited personal experience. There are unfortunately issues in both the north and south on both sides of the aisle. However, in my personal experience, it was worse in the north than in the south, by FAR. Add to that people who just meet you assuming you are intolerant because of where you were born, which has happened to me more than once. Those same people spewed more intolerant speech than anything I ever heard growing up. It was so weird - it was like the assumed they were "safe" to tell me, a Southerner, their feelings. Honestly, it was repulsive.

People need to do what I believe God does - look at souls, not faces. Make your friendships based on the inside, not the outside. Besides, to the visually impaired, what is skin color? It's nothing.

Just my .02

Old 07-01-2007, 10:50 PM

36 posts, read 143,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I actually have to say; that's one of the few things that I actually like about living in NC; that the people are more integrated. It's not uncommon for there to be blacks and whites living in the same subdvision without giving race a thought.
I would have to agree. I have found (being a transplant from MD) that people are so much nicer down here, that they dont care about race, or interracial relationships. I am sure there are racist people here, as there are anywhere, but I havn't witnessed anything yet

Old 07-02-2007, 03:43 PM

219 posts, read 852,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspatron View Post
I Am A White Male. Will I Be Looked Down At If I Or My Family Make Black Friends. Only Asking Because I Have A Boss Who Happens To Be From Louisiana And Is Black And He Still Thinks That Blacks & Whites In The South Still Don't Mix. Anybody Still See Segrigation Going On In Nc????
TSPATRON,
One thing I found about southern folks is that they are very up front with their feelings. If they don't like YOU they don't play games. They are honest about their feelings towards a person.
In general, no matter where you live...........if a person or their friends are "low lifes" and have no respect for anyone else.........who wants to live with, near or around that person?
I know race will always be a problem in this society and people will segregate.
I just think the folks in the south handle racial relations a lot better than other so called "civilized" areas.
People don't know that for DECADES Pennsylvania had the largest number of KKK members in the United States. So much for the Quaker State.
Dennis

Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 AM

19 posts, read 54,422 times
Default Black and Whites

Sadly to say, I have noticed what you are talking about since moving down here two years ago. I have also been told that the blacks do not want the whites down here. I have made black friends and work in a black school, and it has all been very successful. Where I notice the discrimination is with strangers, on the roads, driving and shopping.
I have offset it by smiling and being very friendly. It usually gets a positive response, but I can sense the reserve and stand offishness. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,359 times
I love my integrated neighborhood in Oxford, NC. there are always going to be some crazies no matter where one goes.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 5,824 times
Yes, there are black and white issues in North Carolina. Unfortunately, you will not experience that problem. Now you may get some looks but nothing to worry about. This state is twisted.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:31 PM

72 posts, read 313,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspatron View Post
I Am A White Male. Will I Be Looked Down At If I Or My Family Make Black Friends. Only Asking Because I Have A Boss Who Happens To Be From Louisiana And Is Black And He Still Thinks That Blacks & Whites In The South Still Don't Mix. Anybody Still See Segrigation Going On In Nc????
I have seen more interacial relationships here in NC than I did in NYC or in NJ by far...So I guess your bosses theory just got thrown out the window...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina