Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 12:32 PM

7 posts, read 25,792 times

Advertisements

I Am A White Male. Will I Be Looked Down At If I Or My Family Make Black Friends. Only Asking Because I Have A Boss Who Happens To Be From Louisiana And Is Black And He Still Thinks That Blacks & Whites In The South Still Don't Mix. Anybody Still See Segrigation Going On In Nc????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2006, 12:38 PM

32 posts, read 45,730 times
geez this is a tired subject...Do you have black friends where you live now? Why do people think the south is another planet? In all actuality the major cities in the south: Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Miami, the list keeps going..Are packed with people who are not from there originally. Yes there are racist people in the south, as there are everywhere but I swear the midwest and northeast are more racially divided and segregated than anywhere in the south except possibly Forsythe County, GA and large parts of Mississippi...

Old 08-14-2006, 12:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I actually have to say; that's one of the few things that I actually like about living in NC; that the people are more integrated. It's not uncommon for there to be blacks and whites living in the same subdvision without giving race a thought.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:44 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,743,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tspatron
I Am A White Male. Will I Be Looked Down At If I Or My Family Make Black Friends. Only Asking Because I Have A Boss Who Happens To Be From Louisiana And Is Black And He Still Thinks That Blacks & Whites In The South Still Don't Mix. Anybody Still See Segrigation Going On In Nc????
Would you more inclined to make friends based on race if someone looked down on you?
Last time I looked Louisiana was in the south. Are you having issues now? If you were to meet someone that had similar interests would you first find out what other people think of them before you became friends?

Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM

18 posts, read 62,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Would you more inclined to make friends based on race if someone looked down on you?
Last time I looked Louisiana was in the south. Are you having issues now? If you were to meet someone that had similar interests would you first find out what other people think of them before you became friends?
you make a very good point. right now i am just asking questions based on things that others have told me about southern living .no ,normaly what people think does not affect me at all .however if it were as bad as my boss is telling me it is then i would be more concerned with how my family would be treated. just trying to see if what my boss says is true .

Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmro
geez this is a tired subject...Do you have black friends where you live now? Why do people think the south is another planet? In all actuality the major cities in the south: Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh, Orlando, Miami, the list keeps going..Are packed with people who are not from there originally. Yes there are racist people in the south, as there are everywhere but I swear the midwest and northeast are more racially divided and segregated than anywhere in the south except possibly Forsythe County, GA and large parts of Mississippi...
I'll admit, I too had a "roll my eyes moment." But in fairness to the original question, the real problems you'll have are if you go down with an attitude that somehow that white/black won't get along and bring the issue to the forefront. The dividing lines really are income/class and not so much racial.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:29 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
Quote:

I do not know where you are coming from, but remember you are going to the south. No matter where you go there will be some racial divide, as mike note, areas appear to be more divided by income and class then race but with all the people coming to NC from everywhere, there will be more diverse areas and others will be more racially dominated.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:01 PM

799 posts, read 3,226,783 times
Quote:
How come you're capitalizting all the words in your sentences? I'm curious.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:44 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,574 times
I found Long Island to be much more segregated than the Triangle area. Is Long Island enlightened liberal , happening & edgy? Maybe. But not when it comes to race. Certainly I heard how backward & segregated the South was while I was in NY, often from people who had never been to the south! Here you see a true integration in stores, fast food places, schools, & neighborhoods. Are there areas where one group predominates? Yes. But all in all I never saw this level of integration in NY, except on the Upper West Side, but who can afford to live there?

Old 08-14-2006, 05:09 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
Quote:
It would depend on where you lived. In the bigger towns (as someone already mentioned) it isn't a problem. My best friend is black (we go to the same church) and I live in a pre-dominantly black neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina