Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2010, 06:06 AM

306 posts, read 436,514 times

Advertisements

I want to get a comparison between the two cities with respect to outdoors activities. Specifically the opportunites to hike, ski, fish, mountain bike, camp, boat, etc.

It appears Charlotte has a distinct advantage over Raleigh.

Thank you in advance for any insight that you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:39 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,009 times
No skiing here but the mountains are closer.
  • You can fish, boat and jet ski on Lake Norman. Mountain Island Lake and Lake Wyile
  • Charlotte has a good park system with several greenways (http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/Pages/Home.aspx - broken link)
  • You can hike on Crowders Mountain (http://www.crowdersmountain.com/v1/default.asp - broken link)

Last edited by NCgirl; 09-19-2010 at 07:07 AM..

Old 09-19-2010, 09:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Also, the Kings Mountain Gateway Trail is being developed. Part is opened & the next phase is being worked on. Kings Mountain Gateway Trails > Home

Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I'm impressed if people are skiing in Charlotte or Raleigh!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hey now, plenty of people in Charlotte WATER ski on Lake Norman and Lake Wylie!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:25 AM

306 posts, read 436,514 times
Default Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
People don't ski in Denver either.

I was making a general statement about the difference in the "opportunities" and accessibility to various outdoor activities between the two cities.

So, I am pretty certain there is a ski resort closer to Charlotte than Raleigh, correct?

So, do you have any insight for me that is in line with my post?

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
People don't ski in Denver either.

I was making a general statement about the difference in the "opportunities" and accessibility to various outdoor activities between the two cities.

So, I am pretty certain there is a ski resort closer to Charlotte than Raleigh, correct?

So, do you have any insight for me that is in line with my post?

Thanks.

Not much to add. I think both places have lots of outdoor opportunties. They have lakes to water ski, boat, parks to hike & Camp, rivers to kayak, and canoe ect.

I'm curious what distinct advantage you see Charlotte having. I'm not knocking them, I just don't see much of a difference beside charlotte being closer to the mountains. I think they have nicer lakes too, but aside from that I wouldn't choose one over the other based on outdoor opportunities. I like living in Raleigh because not only are their some nice parks and trails in Wake County, but there is also a lot of opporturnity to take advantage of more rural counties like Orange and Durham and puts you closer to the outdoor activities associated with the Beach.

Ultimately, I think a person could be equally happy in either spot with regards to outdoor activities.

Good Luck!

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 09-20-2010 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina