U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2010, 11:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,478 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone..
I recently got a speeding ticket for doing 77 in a 55. I am looking for a lawyer who can help me with my case and trying to see if anyone has had any similar incedents to share and get me a little familiar on how this speeding ticket works. I never had one before and I don't know WHAT to expect! Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,310,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRUNNZ View Post
Hi everyone..
I recently got a speeding ticket for doing 77 in a 55. I am looking for a lawyer who can help me with my case and trying to see if anyone has had any similar incedents to share and get me a little familiar on how this speeding ticket works. I never had one before and I don't know WHAT to expect! Thanks everyone.
Call a lawyer, that's a bad ticket and if you have any hope of getting out of it you'll have to pay whatever a lawyer costs. If you haven't started getting solicitations from lawyers by now, you will shortly. Technically you could lose your license, but since it's a first offense I'm betting that won't happen. But hey, slow down!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-20-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM

983 posts, read 3,512,947 times
All you can do is hope the DA will plead it down to a 64 in a 55. A 77 in a 55 CAN get you a revoked license.

Old 09-20-2010, 12:18 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,353,192 times
Just FYI, you'll probably get more responses if your thread title contains a hint of what it's about instead of "advice anybody?", which could be about anything. Something like "Speeding ticket advice, anybody?" would attract more people who have knowledge in that area, whereas one might be inclined to skip over a "generic" thread title (I usually do).

Old 09-20-2010, 08:00 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,287,709 times
How it works:

Option 1 - Take responsiblity for your actions, pay the ticket . . . and stop speeding.
Option 2 - Fail to take responsibility for your actions, request traffic court, and attempt a plea to lower the fine or try to get traffic school . . . and stop speeding.
Option 3 - Fail to take responsibility for your actions, take it to traffic court, plead not guilty, take your chances on a sympathetic judge during the little traffic trial . . . and stop speeding. Using an attorney is optional.

That should be about it.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:11 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,769,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRUNNZ View Post
I don't know WHAT to expect!
I'll tell you one thing you can expect.....4,624 letters from lawyers wanting to handle your case and anything else you might have. Make sure you get a lawyer, you might be able to get it dismissed. I've had a LOT of tickets over the years and through experience found out what it comes down to is money. As in how bad do you want to get out of it? I got a 98 in a 55 dismissed one time so there is hope. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,122,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
I'll tell you one thing you can expect.....4,624 letters from lawyers wanting to handle your case and anything else you might have. Make sure you get a lawyer, you might be able to get it dismissed. I've had a LOT of tickets over the years and through experience found out what it comes down to is money. As in how bad do you want to get out of it? I got a 98 in a 55 dismissed one time so there is hope. Good luck!
This disgusts me. Are you really that far above the law?

OP - I don't have any experience with the NC courts for speeding, and don't intend to have to be in your position, but I suggest speaking with an attorney to see if you can get the violation changed to a non-moving if that is possible in NC. Pay the fine, take responsibility for your actions, and maybe you'll be lucky enough that your insurance isn't jacked up in cost for the next 5 yrs.

And, really .. slow down. I know life is hectic and we all have places to be - but speeding causes accidents, and the rest of us have to share the same road you're on.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:23 AM

11,817 posts, read 21,381,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post

And, really .. slow down. I know life is hectic and we all have places to be - but speeding causes accidents, and the rest of us have to share the same road you're on.
A lot of research actually points to the opposite - increased speed causes drivers to pay more attention thereby reducing accidents. Same goes with highways and roads - winding roads cause less accidents because drivers are paying more attention vs. long straight stretches.

Not that I disagree about speeding, hey it's the limit, you can fudge it maybe a bit, but don't go overboard.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,769,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2jump View Post
This disgusts me. Are you really that far above the law?

Apparently I was at least once! Don't let it disgust you. It's the way the judicial system works. If you have money you can get out of about anything, if you don't you pay the price. The best thing is not to get into trouble to start with. I learned my lesson and haven't had a ticket in 16 years.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,478 times
Thank you very much everyone for the positive feedback. I grabbed a lawyer. Yep, I learned my lesson w/ the whole speeding thing.. It's all good as long as everyone else is speeding too, and the best thing to do is just stay within the posted limit. I appreciate all the advice.
HOLLA!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina