U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 08:38 AM

30 posts, read 77,482 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I cannot really find posts for what I'm looking for, so I thought that maybe you guys can help me.

We are going to NC to spend 3 days and we would like to know what places you guys recommend us where we can find beautiful scenery, nature... we would also like to see some old towns that seem to have been frozen in time and haven't changed for so many many years... I mean, something different to what we are used to see here in Washington, DC.

In case it helps, we are driving directly from there.

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlit View Post
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked before, but I cannot really find posts for what I'm looking for, so I thought that maybe you guys can help me.

We are going to NC to spend 3 days and we would like to know what places you guys recommend us where we can find beautiful scenery, nature... we would also like to see some old towns that seem to have been frozen in time and haven't changed for so many many years... I mean, something different to what we are used to see here in Washington, DC.

In case it helps, we are driving directly from there.

Thanks a lot!

Three days is not a lot of time, so you need to pick a region first.

Do you want mountains or beach, or one of the cities in the piedmont?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Three days is not a lot of time, so you need to pick a region first.

Do you want mountains or beach, or one of the cities in the piedmont?
We have always heard about Outer banks...but if we cannot do beach and mountains, we would pick mountains then.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:53 AM

656 posts, read 1,020,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlit View Post
We have always heard about Outer banks...but if we cannot do beach and mountains, we would pick mountains then.
hi! I'd say in 3 days,

I'd drive the Blueridge pkwy westbound and see all the sights along the way. , it's a goregous drive for nature lovers!
There's nature museums, and various free things to see and do along the way.
It's a slow, beautiful drive., you may want to possibly end in Ashville NC., it's in the heart of the Smoky Mountains and has many things to see and do while visiting.
ie: Biltmore estates and a older downtown area with unique and arsty shops ect.... there are many more little older towns along the Blueridge Pkway also.
My Airy has exhibits form the "Mayberry show" days and has alot of "Andy" memorabilia and shops., it's adjacent to the parkway

I'd look on Google and type in Blueridge pkwy actvities ect....
Many ,many things will pop up!

Goodluck and enjoy

Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
hi! I'd say in 3 days,

I'd drive the Blueridge pkwy westbound and see all the sights along the way. , it's a goregous drive for nature lovers!
There's nature museums, and various free things to see and do along the way.
It's a slow, beautiful drive., you may want to possibly end in Ashville NC., it's in the heart of the Smoky Mountains and has many things to see and do while visiting.
ie: Biltmore estates and a older downtown area with unique and arsty shops ect.... there are many more little older towns along the Blueridge Pkway also.
My Airy has exhibits form the "Mayberry show" days and has alot of "Andy" memorabilia and shops., it's adjacent to the parkway

I'd look on Google and type in Blueridge pkwy actvities ect....
Many ,many things will pop up!

Goodluck and enjoy

Actually, you drive the Parkway NORTH or SOUTH

Getting on it near Roanoke is a great idea too! You just head south to Asheville and you'd see some wonderful views and find some great places to get out and hike.

Mt. Airy is not adjacent to the Parkway, but it's not a far drive off of it (15 minutes or so).

Personally, I'd recommend they get off in Floyd (about 8 miles north of the Parkway just south of Roanoke). There are some really neat places to stay in Floyd and live music at the Country Store on weekends.

http://www.floydcountrystore.com/

http://www.ambrosiafarm.net/high/index.htm

After leaving Floyd they'd want to stop in Fancy Gap for lunch at the Fancy Gap Deli, just under the Parkway at Fancy Gap for a really nice meal and some homemade desserts. At that point if they wanted to see Mt. Airy they could just head south on hwy 52 (right in front of the deli) and follow the signs to old Main Street. There are some great shops there, including a 3 story Emporium of all kinds of neat things to see.

Once back on the Parkway the next stop should be the Blue Ridge Music Center (around mm 213). There are almost always local musicians jamming there every day (until Nov. 1) from noon to 4 pm.

Next they could exit the Parkway onto hwy 21 south, go about 4 miles and find their way to Stone Mt. State Park for a really nice hike with waterfalls and incredible views.

Back on the Parkway you start really climbing in elevation and start getting some great views near Doughton Park

Around mm 280 I'd consider stopping overnight in the neat little town of West Jefferson. There is a really cool B&B there called the Buffalo Tavern.

http://www.buffalotavern.com/ashecounty.html

From there they could continue the trip onto Asheville the next day

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-23-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: added links

Old 09-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Thanks a lot for those wonderful guides!! I really appreciate it.
I cannot wait to go!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:39 PM

69 posts, read 159,593 times
If by a town frozen in time you mean no shopping centers or strip malls then I would say Hot Springs in the mountains or Ocracoke on the outerbanks. They are both small,remote, surrounded by pristine scenery, and really feel away from it all.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:24 PM

983 posts, read 3,512,512 times
Bryson City in Swain County is a nice place to go....near Cherokee, driveable to Maggie's Valley, about an hour from Asheville. Very quaint little town....they have several nice bed & breakfasts too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina