Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvhiker View Post
Took my wife's car to a snappy lube place in Knightdale for it's annual inspection and passed everything except a front tire with minor wear on the inside. The guy was very clear about why he failed it. I paid something like $23.00 and was told that I would only have to pay the remaining $7.00 when I had the problem corrected. Now, I've been around cars my who life, have enough common sense to get by, and for the life of me couldn't really see why it failed. So my question is, can I take the car to another station and have them 'complete' the inspection for the remaining $7.00? Or would I either have to 1) pay full price or, 2) return to the original inspection station? I rotated the front tires to the back and vice versa to try to alleviate this problem. Bought these tires in December so they are in great shape otherwise.
you can go back to the station after changeing your tire and they will reinspect your car within 60 days for the remaining 6.25, you may go to another station and do it but you will have to pay the 23.75 again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 10,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Well, this isn't Oregon and the cops are not all that strict unless you hit a license check. As for the nuisance NC inspections, just install your spare to have the car inspected. However, unless the laws have changed, as long as no cord is showing, having 1/16" of tread in the center of the tire spaced 4 equal distances around the tire is sufficient to pass. I have had stations try to reject my car because a backuplight was not working. That is not even on the check list.

you cant have any bluges, cuts, or wires showing and the tire has to be atleast 2/32nds of an inch in the center at 2 places

Old 08-13-2011, 10:12 AM

90 posts, read 752,701 times
Default Window tint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Remove the tint from the front windows. It's probably not the answer you were looking for but the car will pass inspection.
Not quite the right answer. Passenger cars cannot have illegal tint on *any* window. Exceptions are Vans, trucks and SUV's. They can have tint as dark as you want on any window, as long as it is behind the drivers and passengers front windows. The front windows must be at or above the legal requirement of 32%. Yes, I know it makes no sense, but that is the rule.
I've been an inspector for 20 years and seen lots of changes in the rules.
Inspectors that break the rules and get caught can be fined heavily and also lose their license, as can the inspection station itself.
If your car fails at one station, and you take it to a *friend* who slides it through for you, it now red flags your registration in the system, a DMV officer can visit your house and check it for himself, if you refuse then they will suspend your registration. If you allow them, and the vehicle should not have passed, then the officer will visit the station, cite the inspector and station and fine them. Your *friend* will not be happy, as these fines can run to 3-4 hundred dollars. If the inspector decides to not pay the fine, his inspectors license *and* his *drivers* license will be suspended. Yes, I said DRIVERS LICENSE. These officers are Law enforcement officers, they carry guns and have the right to arrest. I've seen it happen.
Good inspectors put a lot on the line when they inspect your vehicle. Unfortunately, there are a lot of inspectors out there who treat it as a joke, these are the ones that give the good shops a bad name. As an inspector, I've been threatened, assaulted and sued.....I have to deal with ignorant people who believe that yelling and screaming is going to persuade me to pass a vehicle that should fail, or will convince me to ignore things that should also fail. The rules are the rules, I admit some of them are stupid, but they are the rules I play by. In these instances, I have a legal right to call an officer and have a customer arrested, I also have a legal right to defend myself, physically, if I am in fear of my life.
There is a lot going on behind the scenes that the average citizen never sees.
If you want to play the game, you pay your money and take your chances.

Last edited by V65Ozzie; 08-13-2011 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-22-2012, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,684 times
They won't pass my car ......i don't have the money to fix it my bills are stack up...i make 400 a week go to school and i have 4 kids i get 200 in ebt ......i just don't have the money to fix my car .....but god is with me when you see me on the road with a bad tag keep in mind im trying to fix it......

Old 07-22-2012, 10:33 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,526,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycandy View Post
There's a substantial amount of drivers on the road here in WNC with expired tags on their vehicles. Like 6-12 months expired.

Where I moved from (Oregon): You drive on expired tags, you get pulled over by The Man, your car gets towed.
I don't really care if their tag is current, but what really ticks me off are the substantial number that don't have insurance. I have been hit twice by other drivers in the past 15 years, both with current tags and drivers license but no insurance.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:17 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmcclard View Post
I recently purchased a car with tinted windows and was told by the dealer that the windows did pass inspection about two months ago. Now I just took the car to my dealer who said it will not pass inspection because of the tinted windows. What is my course of action now?
The inspection stations have a meter they use to test the tint. If it is too dark the car fails. The dealer most likely inspected the car and was not concerned with failing a car it was trying to sell.Remove the tint or park the car.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
The inspection stations have a meter they use to test the tint. If it is too dark the car fails. The dealer most likely inspected the car and was not concerned with failing a car it was trying to sell.Remove the tint or park the car.
My truck's windows are "supposed" to be checked (back glass is factory tint) and it has been inspected at probably 8 different inspection stations over they years (It's a 97). And the window tint has never been checked. Fortunately inspection is due in the summer, and I just roll the windows before pulling in.

It would probably pass (30% tint was installed) but it has save me over $100 over the years just rolling the windows down.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
My truck's windows are "supposed" to be checked (back glass is factory tint) and it has been inspected at probably 8 different inspection stations over they years (It's a 97). And the window tint has never been checked. Fortunately inspection is due in the summer, and I just roll the windows before pulling in.

It would probably pass (30% tint was installed) but it has save me over $100 over the years just rolling the windows down.
Do what you want but dont forget that if you have an accident and you have dark tint that is not 100% legal you could be charged as contributing to the cause of the accident. That means even if someone else causes the accident you could end up not getting paid....If you have an accident and someone gets hurt you can be sued for operation an unsafe vehicle.....Take your chances

Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Do what you want but dont forget that if you have an accident and you have dark tint that is not 100% legal you could be charged as contributing to the cause of the accident. That means even if someone else causes the accident you could end up not getting paid....If you have an accident and someone gets hurt you can be sued for operation an unsafe vehicle.....Take your chances
This really annoys you don't it. Did you read where I suspect it would pass without a problem because I had a legal tint installed? The shop that installed ran the test in my presence to show me that the original tint plus the film did not exceed the standard. It's the stupid $10 charge, year after year after year when nothing has changed. While tires wear, bulbs burn out, exhaust systems rust and corrode, and tint does what?

And you could also be found guilty of operating a vehicle in an unsafe manner for not scraping frost off of all windows in the winter, tuning your radio, adjusting your mirror, talking to a passenger, drinking your latte, or scratching an itch. Pulling onto a public highway is a "take your chances" situation.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,337 times
If your car fails inspection for tires do you still have to pay ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina