U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2006, 12:37 PM

6 posts, read 14,983 times

Advertisements

We would like to know the best areas on the coast of NC to live. We would like to know were the flood areas are. So far we are looking to move to the New Bern area and we are wondering if that is a flood free area and if the school district is good enough. Thankfully we have had some answers already and we really thank you for it. But I really think that you can read all the data on a school that you would need but I also would like someone to tell me kind of a hands on way. Someone who lives in the area of New Bern that could tell me what the schools are[u]really[u]about. My wife and I are thinking about relocating to the New Bern,NC area and are trying to figure out where to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2006, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 27,956 times
Default CAn't help ya

just moved here myself and we are 4 hours from the coast Sorry

Old 03-06-2006, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,298 times
hey-just a quick word to you. when it comes to the coast, you are going to do best by speaking to a realtor. all parts of the coast are going to get wet during the hurricane season, but a realtor can tell you a lot more about the outer banks or coastal areas. check out wilmington and see how that helps ya.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:44 PM

16 posts, read 77,739 times
Wilminton is a great place to live. The film industry calls it Hollywood East. One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, Surface are all shot there because of good weather conditions (my whole family has been extras on several occasions) Lots of good schools and the housing market is growing. check out their City web site. I can recommend a great realtor there too.
Jay

Old 03-12-2006, 09:30 PM

4 posts, read 13,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C21Jay
Wilminton is a great place to live. The film industry calls it Hollywood East. One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, Surface are all shot there because of good weather conditions (my whole family has been extras on several occasions) Lots of good schools and the housing market is growing. check out their City web site. I can recommend a great realtor there too.
Jay
Not to mention one of my fave's... Dawson's Creek.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:42 AM

787 posts, read 3,322,948 times
I live in Greene County, North Carolina, Snow Hill to be precise. And the highest elevation is only 138 feet above sea level. When Hurricane Floyd hit here in 1999, it wasn't the wind that got us, it was the flooding. And most of it came from a levy breach from Raleigh. 2/3 of Greene County flooded. Luck for us it came within a mile of our house but we didn't flood. But let me tell you, driving the mile to the stoplight and putting my husband out and him getting into a row boat to get to the Town Hall is not an experience I am soon to forget. And it flooded several other counties as well and killed I believe about 42 people. Some of the counties that flooded were Lenoir, Greene, Edgecombe, Pitt, Wayne, Wilson, and I know there are probably more. But these particular counties are more inland than say New Hanover, Craven, Hyde, etc. And amen to what icequeen said. Take my word for it, unless you like the thrill of a hurricane, get further west than Raleigh. Hurricane Fran in 1996 caused damage as far inland as Raleigh. And the hurricanes like Jeanne, Ivan, and Charley that hit Florida so hard, took an amazing course into the western part of the state. I would suggest that you look up North Carolina Hurricane history or hurricane history in general and then decide what you can and can't live with. Good luck. And I have been here since I was born in 1951 and believe it or not, I have only lost a fence, a few trees and a roof from these storms although they are the most unnerving things to live throught. Any category higher than a 3 and I would leave.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 PM

36 posts, read 121,718 times
Looking at the positive side of coastal NC, it is a simply fantastic place to
live. Weather challenges happen everywhere as we see in the news constantly.
Decide what you want in an area, then decide. Hurricanes are a constant
threat, but so are all of the other wierd weather happenings in other states.
With hurricanes, there are always warnings. Going inland is a good idea.
I lived in Johnston County and the weather there was more unpredictable
than here on the coast. If you need a realtor, my hubby J.T. at Ward in
Surf City is honest!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,042,551 times
I agree with Peppermintpatti.

You will have some sort of weather disasters where ever you go. From Maine to Florida to California to Washington. You will never be totally free from something. Get in your car, go for a visit, do as much research as possible, go for 10 more visits and then decide. My wife and I visited for 7 years before we decided to move to the Greenville area. Is it perfect? No. But it's pretty good and getting better by the day. We used to keep a travel trailer at Twin Lakes Camping resort in Chocowinity. We would come down for a week at a time and just drive our car all over eastern NC looking for the right place.

If you take your time and do your research you'll be fine. Don't let a community's outward appearence fool you. Spend some time there and get to know the place before you move there. You'll be better off in the end.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:26 PM

219 posts, read 789,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron&chris View Post
We would like to know the best areas on the coast of NC to live. We would like to know were the flood areas are. So far we are looking to move to the New Bern area and we are wondering if that is a flood free area and if the school district is good enough. Thankfully we have had some answers already and we really thank you for it. But I really think that you can read all the data on a school that you would need but I also would like someone to tell me kind of a hands on way. Someone who lives in the area of New Bern that could tell me what the schools are[u]really[u]about. My wife and I are thinking about relocating to the New Bern,NC area and are trying to figure out where to live.
The wife and are HOPING to move in about three months to the Calabash/Shallotte area. My brother has lived there for the past three years and we do have a few more friends who have moved to the area.
My Bro lives West of Rt 17 and hasn't had any trouble with floods or Hurricanes etc. We will probably do the same thing but will still be VERY close to the ocean.
Don't know much about the school situation but I'm sure if you google the town/s you will find some information. This forum has a lot of people who will help you. Add another thread asking for only info about schools in the area you think you will consider.
Denny
Woodlynne NJ

Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM

13 posts, read 55,021 times
NEW BERN is a wonderful area. we have visited there several times and will be moving there in the next couple of months. we visited the bridgeton school and were very impressed. the principle gave us a wonderful tour. we have heard that brinson is rated higher. the schools are getting better and most schools are new. there are also some very good private schools. we visited the wilmington area and like the small town feel to NEW BERN, as well as it seems to be much better for boating. The real estate prices are much better in New Bern as well. Area seems to fair better then most coastal areas with hurricanes and flooding.......... hope this helps....by the way we are purchasing a business in the area..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina