Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:24 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,915,433 times

Advertisements

North Carolina Department of Justice
State Bureau of Investigation
June 2007

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...%20Summary.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 PM

573 posts, read 2,433,913 times
Thanks for posting this, it's very interesting!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:49 AM

4 posts, read 30,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
North Carolina Department of Justice
State Bureau of Investigation
June 2007

http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...%20Summary.pdf
I was quite surprised to find the crime rate for North Carolina, specifically Greensboro (which is where I'm interested in moving) to be ranked a great deal higher than the national average. I suppose I was picturing "Mayberry". I can't find anything that EXPLAINS why the crime rate is so high, nor gives any suggestions on where to live in or around Greensboro to avoid it. Any suggestions

Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
I as well have always tried to understand the crime numbers because generally the crimes happen in a specific location more often than the whole city itself.
For instance I just bought this house that has a High Pont address but it in the rural country side and looks like a relative safe area. Yet high point has a reputation for crime as well.

I grew up near there and always hung out in GSO and High Point and I knew ehere the safe areas was and the rough areas was located. IMO Greensboro & High Point are good safe locations to raise a family very laid back and friendly.
Same thing for Durham it gets a bad rap for its crime numbers but there is some nice safe locations that you dont even think about watching your back.

I think people get to wrap in numbers without understanding a area first or looking into website of the police departments or contacting police departments to get the real deal where they are going to relocate.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 30,103 times
Thank you, Sunny, for your input. Do you know of a specific area in northwest Greensboro that would be a safe place to live for a family with older children? Some information that I've been able to gleen so far is the zip code 27409 is a "nice" area. I've never been to NC, so it's all new to me.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:10 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,202,578 times
Just my opinion....the population is growing and along with population growth crime rises.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
Genreally you cant go by zip code due to they can often incorporate good and bad areas but I just look on the map and I didnt see any streets I usually avoid in Greensboro in that zip code. Areas I usually try to avoid are near hwy 70 or to the right of it not all just in general there more higher crime areas that I always knew that has happen there near 40 and 70

I have been very impress with what Greensboro did to it downtown by turning it into a fun place to go during the day and night.

Find a area contact the greensboro PD and get the real deal of that spot.

I grew up in Lexington down the road from Greensboro it too has high crime numbers and I had to chuckle because only crime I ever saw was someone breaking the no cruising law. I would still investigate Gso if I was you that area you are looking at is kinda quiet area looks like it near the airport that can be good or bad thing. But it also very close to various highways to make getting around very easy.

Old 07-21-2007, 11:51 AM

27 posts, read 133,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaceleste View Post
I was quite surprised to find the crime rate for North Carolina, specifically Greensboro (which is where I'm interested in moving) to be ranked a great deal higher than the national average...
angelaceleste,

The vast majority of crime in Greensboro takes place in relatively "small pockets" within the city. There are many nice, safe areas of GSO to live. The crime stats may be higher than the "national" average, but it's NOT higher than the typical city with GSO's size and population.

As far as zip codes go, SunnyKayak is right about neighborhoods varying within a single zip code. Having said that, 27410, 27409 & 27407 are nice places to look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina