U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 03:35 PM

29 posts, read 3,018 times
Default Moving Co cost from CA to NC

Hello everyone, does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to move a furnished 1400 sq ft home from CA to NC.

thanks ever so much and God bless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 05:08 PM

182 posts, read 533,353 times
Hi Tomm-
We are moving from So Cal to Charlotte, and we have been quoted any where from $7,500 to over $10,000.
Somebody told me to check out ABF freight for a rate; I guess you hire them to move your stuff, but you still have to hire "movers" to unload unless you want to do it yourself.
We are hoping my husband gets transfer within his company and we can make the moving costs part of the negotations.
Good luck

Old 07-05-2007, 06:21 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,898,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm112233 View Post
Hello everyone, does anyone have a rough idea what it costs to move a furnished 1400 sq ft home from CA to NC.

thanks ever so much and God bless!
What part of California are you coming from?

The folks we used...we were very pleased with (since that time my parents have used them, and also a friend...and in both cases they were very pleased too). All three families made moves from So CAL to the Charlotte, NC area.

If you would like their info...feel free to send me a PM.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:11 PM

889 posts, read 2,094,418 times
I used Untied Express from the Central Coast last year and paid less than $7,000.They were ok.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post

The folks we used...we were very pleased with (since that time my parents have used them, and also a friend...and in both cases they were very pleased too). All three families made moves from So CAL to the Charlotte, NC area.

Well, I had another "soon to be" So CAL transplant () send me a PM in regard to who the contact, and moving company was...so for anyone else who may be interested:

United Van Lines (OC/LA Cnty)
(714) 522-3540
contact name: Rick (hopefully he is still there...and if he is...tell him the lady in Tega Cay, SC sent ya!)

Best to all who are making the move!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 AM

99 posts, read 313,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post

I think I am the friend lovethecarolinas is referring to (I hope so!!). And yes -- we were very, very pleased with our moving experience with United Van Lines!!

As for the cost the original poster asked about, when we moved from Downey, California (near the L.A/Orange County line) to Tega Cay we paid about $10,500 to move a 2,400 sq. ft. house that ended up being 20,000 lbs., including 500 boxes (which I'm told is a HUGE amount of boxes for that size house!!). We packed everything but the computer ourselves. We received 2 quotes from 2 different companies, & they were both within $100 of each other. Your move will be ALOT less $$, cause you're already moving 1000 square feet less than me!!

Moving companies charge you by the distance, by the amount of pounds you're moving, & whether they are doing the packing or you are packing yourselves. (One company told us that if they did the packing it would be an additional $4,000.) We had additional charges (not included in the above price) for a piano and an organ, for our oversized grandfather clock to be crated for them to move, and uncrated & set up once we got here, and there was also an additional charge to retrieve stuff out of our storage unit. Just be aware that the moving companies will charge you additional charges on "out-of-the-ordinary" stuff to move, if you have any.

BTW, check out movingscam.com. There is great info on there, & make sure you check out the "black list" on their website to make sure your moving company is NOT listed there.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki3455 View Post
I think I am the friend lovethecarolinas is referring to (I hope so!!). And yes -- we were very, very pleased with our moving experience with United Van Lines!!
Yep!..you are exactly who I was/am speaking of!

Old 07-06-2007, 12:44 PM

29 posts, read 3,018 times
We live in Cypress over by Los Alimitos.
Ok, so I'll assume around $6000 as we're doing the packing ourselves in prep for showing the house.

thanks all!

Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 PM

182 posts, read 533,353 times
To both Tomm and Vicki-
Small world - I'm from Lakewood Ca!!! Too funny to find someone from Cypress and Downey on the board!
So Vicki, tell me my family is going to love North Carolina and I'll be a very happy women!
I really don't have a single doubt that we are making an amazing choice, but it's always nice to hear from somebody else!
See y'all soon

Old 07-06-2007, 06:44 PM

38 posts, read 86,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomm112233 View Post
We live in Cypress over by Los Alimitos.
Ok, so I'll assume around $6000 as we're doing the packing ourselves in prep for showing the house.

thanks all!
Thanks y'all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina