U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:48 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,074,244 times

Advertisements

Anyone keeping up with the predictions? I am hoping for winter weather of some sort! I moved here 15+ years ago and we had 4 definite seasons. The past 5+ years it seems we have Spring , Prolonged summer, Fall and winter is fleeting. Farmer's Almanac has been off more than on the past few years IMO!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 10:54 AM

22,063 posts, read 40,023,402 times
Its going to be mild this winter according to the wooly worms.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:56 AM
NCN

14,087 posts, read 12,457,266 times
Well, then it is going to be mild. The wooly worm is always right.

BTW has the wooly worm festival happened yet?

Our weather goes in cycles and I guess we are in a warm cycle. My mother told me about walking to school on an ice frozen creek in the mountains. It has been a while since we have had that. So when I look at our weather history, the facts of what she told me are there.

We used to have a friend that would predict the weather by how high up hornets built their nests and how thick the coats of the animals were, etc. He was a folk scientist in my opinion and he was right most of the time, probably all of the time.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:28 PM

308 posts, read 358,549 times
The winter for NC should be mild and dry due to a strong La Nina in the Pacific. A La Nina is a cooling of Pacific ocean temps which typically means warmer/dryer conditions for the south during the winter months. However, other factors have to also be considered such as the North Atlantic Oscillation. If the NAO remains negative then this may neutralize or at least lessen the effects of the La Nina and this would thereby increase NC's chances of colder temps and frozen precip. There's still hope for you goodgal. Personally, I love the winter and I am a big snow lover. Its one of the reasons I am hesitant about leaving the northeast to live in NC. Silly, but true.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:34 PM

296 posts, read 1,639,067 times
Here's the official outlook from NOAA's Climate Prediction Center:

NOAA: Another Winter of Extremes in Store for U.S. as La Niña Strengthens

My prediction:

We'll have an early, very cold blast of winter weather in late-November or early-December, with an early snow as well. People will lose their minds and think it'll be another epic winter. Then, it'll warm up and remain mild and dry for the rest of winter, with a few cool-downs here and there.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,728,217 times
Last winter, there were frozen lakes in the mnts NCN. Some opened up ice skating for the first time in a long time! Where I live, we had several big snow drops, a foot plus!

I think this winter is going to be really warm though. This time last year we were already in heavy jackets. I was wearing a skirt and short sleeves today because it was so warm. I hate heat. bah!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:54 AM

12 posts, read 11,152 times
I hope not. I hate the snow, ice storms, and freezing rain.

My predictions is the mountains in the western part of the state will see some snow and for the rest of the state will be mild, rainy, and less winter weather.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:42 AM

16,310 posts, read 14,774,445 times
My 100% accurate forecast; there will be weather, some people will whine continuously about it, others will say they enjoy it.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:24 AM

775 posts, read 1,086,883 times
I too think it'll be a warm winter. Expect either Thanksgiving or Christmas to be unseasonably warm across NC. It might even hit 75 on Thanksgiving!

But don't be fooled, we'll still see our share of snow, but I don't think east of 95 will see much of anything, unlike last year. Charlotte will see a little more than Raleigh, but expect at least 4 storms...2 that will amount to just 1-3 inches across most of the area...but the other two could be more significant...I'm talking 4-8 inches, nothing major. Our planet does seem to operate in cycles, and we're still in that warm cycle, but from everything I've heard, we're nearing the end of it and then head back into an "Ice Age" of sorts...where the northeast and midwest experience brutally cold winters, while some parts in NC, we'll struggle to get above freezing for periods during Dec thru Feb and see an increase in snowfall.

My dad would tell me stories of him skating out on the bay in New Jersey back in the 50's and people would take their cars out on the ice. Throughout the 80's, 90's, and today...that bay would barely support a small rock in the dead of winter. But yeah, I really think we're headed for colder days in future winters to come.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:47 AM

1,745 posts, read 2,749,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
Anyone keeping up with the predictions? I am hoping for winter weather of some sort! I moved here 15+ years ago and we had 4 definite seasons. The past 5+ years it seems we have Spring , Prolonged summer, Fall and winter is fleeting. Farmer's Almanac has been off more than on the past few years IMO!
I'm not sure where you were but the last 2 winters here near Greenville have seen temps below normal. Too cold for me but I'm sticking it out. If I had wanted temps that cold I would have stayed in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina