U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:52 PM

304 posts, read 580,536 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from PA. I'm trying to find information online about how long I have to apply for the new driver's license and get my vehicle registered. I can't find it anywhere. People have told me 90 days but I"d rather see it for myself. I don't want to end up with a fine.

Does anyone know? I do know that I Have to pass the drivers license test before I can get my vehicle registered.

It kind of sucks that I Have to pay for the registration all over again because I just had it done in PA in Aug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM

2,082 posts, read 5,134,040 times
NCDOT Division of Motor Vehicles

Old 10-28-2010, 03:02 PM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
Here is what the DMV website says:
Quote:
In the case of new residents, you must register your motor vehicle at the expiration of the time granted by reciprocity agreement between North Carolina and your prior state of residence (usually 30 days) or when gainful employment is accepted, whichever occurs first.

As a new resident of North Carolina, you will not be able to register your vehicle here until you apply for and receive your new North Carolina driver license or North Carolina ID card. North Carolina now issues driver licenses from a central location and mails them to applicants. After you apply for a driver license, you will receive a 20-day Temporary Driving Certificate to be used for driving purposes only until you receive your driver license. Your new license will be mailed within five to 10 days. You will be able to use your new license to register your vehicle in North Carolina.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM

304 posts, read 580,536 times
So whats the fine if you don't have it done exactly within 30 days. Anyone know?
I moved here the beg of Oct. Won't be able to make it to the DMV until next Thurs or Fri. So I have to wait to pass the drivers test before registering my vehicle?

Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM

8,509 posts, read 12,655,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
So whats the fine if you don't have it done exactly within 30 days. Anyone know? I moved here the beg of Oct. Won't be able to make it to the DMV until next Thurs or Fri. So I have to wait to pass the drivers test before registering my vehicle?
There is no automatic fine, and the risk of getting cited for an invalid registration are probably small. Good to get it done within a reasonable time to avoid the possibility of problems, but I wouldn't sweat being late a few days.

You'll have to get local (NC) insurance also. I had a friend who moved here from NY, who waited many, many months to register her car. In the process, she found out she could have saved about $500 on insurance costs had she registered her car when she first moved to NC and changed her insurance then.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM

518 posts, read 617,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
There is no automatic fine, and the risk of getting cited for an invalid registration are probably small. Good to get it done within a reasonable time to avoid the possibility of problems, but I wouldn't sweat being late a few days.
Yeah, it isn't like they stamped your PA passport when you crossed the state line. If you go there and tell them you moved in yesterday, they aren't going to know the difference, unless you show them a too old utility bill as proof of address.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:19 PM

9,122 posts, read 10,669,064 times
I just moved here -
here's the order:

get your car insured - you have to have NC proof of insurance to get a license.
get your license - you have to have your license to register your car.
register your car. Pay for transfer of title, tags, and highway use tax. They'll send your bill for property tax in 3months.

WE just barely made it to get our licenses within a month. I just didn't want to take any chances with that, because you never know who you're gonna get at the DMV. BUt everything was a relatively painless procedure. Get to the DMV offices 30 minutes before opening to avoid long lines.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:34 PM

313 posts, read 474,355 times
This is from the DMV's drivers manual that you can download from their website. This is from page 21

New Residents
A new resident has 60 days after establishing
residence to obtain a North Carolina license
or learner permit. If you hold a commercial drivers
license from another jurisdiction and wish to
maintain a commercial license, you must apply
for and receive a North Carolina commercial
license within 30 days after becoming a resident.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:20 AM

247 posts, read 229,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
So whats the fine if you don't have it done exactly within 30 days. Anyone know?
I moved here the beg of Oct. Won't be able to make it to the DMV until next Thurs or Fri. So I have to wait to pass the drivers test before registering my vehicle?
It's 60 days, but seemingly not enforced. My husband and I moved to NC in August of 2009 and didn't get our licenses and cars registered until March and April of this year (when our registrations expired in AZ) and we had no issue, the DMV employees just asked if we had been here for a year (this happened in both Clayton and Wilson locations). Our cars were insured in NC though since the time we moved.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:11 AM

121 posts, read 211,952 times
Actually Twingles, you don't need NC insurance proof as long as it transfers is what the DMV told me. Your license takes 7-10 days in the mail and then the registration is immediate when you go to the DMV. I ran into problems with my homestate about suspending my NY plates when I had it insured here in that space of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina