U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,796 times

Advertisements

We live in Fort Mill, SC. We relocated 5 years ago because of work. We specifically picked Fort Mill because of the lower taxes compared to North Carolina but yet we are a 5 minute drive into Charlotte and 15-20 minute drive to Charlotte's "Uptown" nightlife. We also picked our location because the Elementary and High School are a 5-10 minute walk and the Middle School is a 5 minute drive from our home. They are the best in the state and you should look into the Fort Mill School District. Our neighbor hood is full of children and is soooo safe. Great people! We are so sad we have to leave. My husband is relocating because of his work and we are in the process of selling our home because my husband is relocating again.
[mod] tos violation [/mod]

Good Luck!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 12-15-2010 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: changed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 06:45 PM

11 posts, read 19,269 times
Default Recent Transplant

Where in Southern CA are you moving from?

My husband and I moved from Northern CA to South Carolina to be closer to my parents, and I would move back to CA in a HEART BEAT! I am speaking strictly from my own experience and personal preferences. My advice is if you have always lived in CA, and never even visited the South, do ALOT of research, and visit for extended periods of time and at different times of the year. Even then, it will be a major culture shock.

It will be colder in the winter (Unless you currently live in the Sierras) and the humidity will be unbearable. A dry heat really does make a difference. 80 degrees here is way more uncomfortable than 100 degrees in CA, and believe me, it gets hotter than 80 degrees for much of the summer. Fall was nice, but not really long enough before going from drippy hot to finger achy cold. Yes, the grass is greener - and mowing the lawn is a major pastime here. Yes, the people here are very friendly, but it doesn't compensate for the climate, if that is important to you. if you spend your whole life indoors, it might not matter so much.

The cost of living (again, unless you live in LA) will not really be much less. Our auto insurance, for the same coverage, and one less vehicle is actually MORE than it was in CA. No surprise as South Carolina was ranked as the third worst drivers in the nation. Not sure what states rank first and second. Car registration was not cheap either. You get taxed on your vehicles (and any other property you own) every year. If you own a business, you get taxed on the furniture, computers, and other items not once, but EVERY year. There are taxes on things we didn't have taxes on in CA, and it adds up. Food, not really any cheaper than in CA. Gas is a little cheaper. Property, depending on where you're coming from and where you go, may or may not be more affordable, especially if you move to one of the metro areas.

I am a college professor, and I have found the level of education here to be less than you will find in CA. That is all I'll say here.

Again, the people are nice, the scenery is beautiful, the history is very rich, the culture is laid back, but it is WAY different from CA in ways only people who have lived on the west coast can understand.

Hope that helps, and feel free to PM me.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:00 PM

10 posts, read 14,112 times
My wife and I relocated to Charlotte about 8 years ago from the North East and have never looked back...It all depends upon your life style. People are people and you get what you give. We were accepted here with open arms and that's what I love about the South....
We're glad our family is now here along with our grand children...
I love the town of Mint Hill,NC. It's where Mayberry meets the 21st century. Small town atmosphere...yet close to everything...

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM

13 posts, read 19,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmohr View Post
Where in Southern CA are you moving from?

My husband and I moved from Northern CA to South Carolina to be closer to my parents, and I would move back to CA in a HEART BEAT! .
WOW! I guess you really are ready to move back I was born in Europe and am more than familiar with the seasons ups and downs and honestly I miss all of the downs too. We live in San Diego and this one and half season is my biggest enemy. I'm also a teacher, in the public school system, which is getting harder and harder to work for. That is also one of my reasons to move away from here along with being closer to Europe and my husband's family. We are pretty familiar with NC, VA area since we go back there regularly to visit.
All of the things you mentioned might be a turn off but overall I think there is more positives than negatives to it. I checked out of SD a few years back so I guess unless we try it we wont know, right?

Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,733 times
Hey there... casting my vote for Baxter. If you haven't already, check CMS school district carefully b4 moving to Charlotte. They're working on cutting 100 million $$ from the budget. Not a great thing for either teachers or students!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 AM

10 posts, read 14,112 times
It's always about your life style. Some people like to live where all the action is while some people would rather go rural and drive to the action....
Personally, I like the quiet subburbs and drive uptown to see a play etc.
Make sure you check it out before making a commitment and purchase.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 32,876 times
Thank you everyone! I personally like living somewhere family oriented and safe like the suburbs. While we LOVE doing fun things...I don't mind driving 15-20 min to get there.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,376 times
Dear Relocatingtoooo -
My wife and I are from basically the Los Angeles area (Burbank and Torrance) and we are fed up with exactly the things as you've described here in California. (And we are big fans of the Amazing Race as well!).
We are planning a long anticpated trip in the fall to visit Greenville/Spartanburg/Anderson/Columbia/Charlotte to see what are the housing, employment, weather conditions are like to see if this will be a place we want to live.
It would be nice know the opinions of other people who have relocated there from SoCal as well as from native SoCarolinians as to the standard of living. Trust me, living in So Cal we get transplants from all over the country and I'm sure there is an influx of transplants to So Carolina as well, so I don't have an ax to grind.
My wife are just a quiet, law abiding, normal couple with a dog and a cat who do not live off the govt. and every place we've lived we left it better than when we got there.
I come from a southern family and have lived in Texas (metro as well as rural areas) before so I do know something about humidity and regional attitudes (and this goes for California as well).

Old 07-21-2011, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 21,401 times
Default considering the move from So Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatingtoooooo View Post
Thank you everyone! I personally like living somewhere family oriented and safe like the suburbs. While we LOVE doing fun things...I don't mind driving 15-20 min to get there.
Did you end up moving? Where? I am also looking to move from San Diego to somewhere in the Carolinas. Seems that the weather is not as bad, as other places in the US, granted, I don't like the humidity, but, I guess it's a give and take. Someone mentioned that the cost of living differential is not as big and that could be a big disadvantage and disappointment, after all, I am the one pushing for the move and using cost of living as a selling point to my wife and kids, while my wife is very hesitant, we have both lived in the area for over 30 years and realize it will be a culture shock but also consider the way things are being handled by governments and organizations out here and honestly, I don't want to be part of it. So, I guess I am running away, but I want to find a place with good values, small town feel, close to metro area (kids will to college in a couple of years). Currently interviewing for a job in Greenville NC, but if that does not come thru, I will keep searching in that part of the country. Any other California transplants to share their experiences out there?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:49 PM

983 posts, read 2,170,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hben37 View Post
Any other California transplants to share their experiences out there?
Nor CA transplanted here by birds 2.5 years ago and so far I am enjoying everything around me except the weather . I was visiting CA last week and I sooo enjoyed being outdoors in San Francisco. Charlotte is a great place to live and work and maybe save some money on housing. I find the cost of living is very similar, even gas is as expensive in Charlotte as some parts of CA. I don't think I can help much with the job market here since I moved my job with me, so didn't need to fight anyone for a position. I live in the Ballantyne area "outside the borders" and I like it here. It's newer than other parts of Charlotte, houses tend to be a bit more expensive than avg homes. Lots of nice areas to live around Charlotte and near by towns, including Fort Mill, SC. If you are sure about your move, rent here first for at least a year, the housing market won't change for a long while. Start looking for a job of course since this will affect where you will end up living. Believe it or not, traffic here has it's problems, so long commute, even for someone from So CA will still be something to consider. People are just, the ones I ended up meeting were all of them transplants from all over the US. Everyone comes with their own culture and baggage, so I won't consider Charlotte to be a good representation of the south although there are still some people who want to believe otherwise. Good luck with your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or