U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:42 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,168,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
Being from Ny what is considered a stupid reaction in a Tornado? Running? Screaming? Cursing my husband for dragging me South?
Grab your video camera. The footage could end up on the Weather Channel's "Full Force Nature". If you are really lucky, you may end up getting to recreate the event on "Storm Stories" (where the acting is so bad, you almost wish the people had gotten sucked into the twister ).

Btw, I'm a native Midwesterner; lived there most of my life. I rode to Kansas City on my motorcycle in May 2003, when they had one of the worst outbreaks in decades. I even had to take shelter under a stranger's carport when one rotation threatened to come down out of the clouds. Thankfully it didn't and I merely waited for the storm to pass before heading back out. That is tornado action. What takes place here in the Piedmont barely raises a blip on my weather nerves.

There's really no place to escape sudden popups. Even Japan gets twisters, though I'd really call this a dustnado

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2rK-ctpFBz8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 07:11 AM

338 posts, read 1,321,065 times
Default dustnado huh?

Well, dust is a part of the whole picture- torn down houses too...whatever it is called- a motorcycle would not be the thing I would want to be on! I ride motorcycle and I HATE the rain! Even just wet roads suck!

Old 08-19-2006, 08:01 AM

110 posts, read 365,029 times
Only recently have reports of tornadoes statewide become more accurate, thanks to technology. And with the increase of of population, more people living here means more people to report tornadoes or tornado type damage during storms.

Tropical systems in general, from a tropical depression to a hurricane, have pretty much the same ability to produce tornadoes.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:40 AM

787 posts, read 3,317,238 times
I don't know what level those tornadoes were that hit Greene, Pitt, and Lenoir County on March 28, 1984 but it was horrible. We had seven deaths at the Lenoir-Greene County line alone, 4 of them children from ages 3-7. There was a grandmother, mother, and granddaughter killed from the same family and the destruction was unlike anything I had ever seen in my life. It destroyed my aunt and my uncle's house altogether. It wiped out the house that my great grandfather built in 1885 and this house had been complete remodeled to the 1885 look but with the modern appliances and two bathrooms. My grandmother's house that was built in the 1920's was damaged but was able to be repaired and is still standing today. But it wiped out an entire pecan orchard that ran between her house and my uncle's house. The trees were huge and it took down every one of them but two. The landscape has never been the same since. Tornadoes we usually get come from the hurricanes that make landfall between June 1st and November 30th each year.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:54 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,168,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathersmom View Post
I ride motorcycle and I HATE the rain! Even just wet roads suck!
One of the reasons I went to a sidecar configuration: no falling off, though I have tipped the thing going 'round sharp curves That's still no guarantee of safety. Last year I was riding across the bootheel of Missouri, returning from a trip to western Arkansas. I was on one of those roads used only by farmers, I expect, and watched to my right as a squall passed over a field. I thought it was kinda neat - black clouds, lightning stabbing to the ground - and it was only about 1/2 mile from where me and the ScratHack were toodling along. I took a right turn, looked at it, and realized to my horror that it was HEADING RIGHT TOWARDS ME! I tried to speed up to get past when it smacked me like a special effect from a disaster movie. My 700 lb rig was blown across the road. I struggled back into my lane, spied an equipment barn and made my way in to wait out the storm. It wasn't a tornado, but a strong enough downburst that I watched equipment out in the fields tip over. I just chalked it up to another riding adventure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina