U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-06-2006, 08:03 PM

1 posts, read 18,801 times
Default Ellerbe - Andre the Giant

I know Andre Roussimoff (aka Andre the Giant) once owned a ranch in Ellerbe, NC where his ashes were scattered. Some friends and I will be driving through that area and would like to pay our respects. Is there a plaque or anything in Ellerbe that we can visit? Thanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2006, 08:28 AM

58 posts, read 238,519 times
This doesn't tell exactly where, but is gives a pretty good description. Just copy and paste into your address bar.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p.../51021002/1051

Old 08-24-2008, 02:23 AM

1 posts, read 17,897 times
Default The round about location of Andre's house

Realizing that this post Im making is way after the fact, I thought I would post the information anyways for those seeking to know some answers about the location of Andre the Giants old homestead.

I went to high school in Montgomery County and frequented the roads between Pekin and Ellerbee going to Rockingham.

If you come down Hwy 220 from Candor, you'll see signs for a rest stop in Ellerbee. (this is the state maintained rest stop). You will also see signs for Hwy 74. Turn right. If you arent looking for it, you can pass it right up. Its hard to see. The last time I was through the area was several years ago, so it could look a bit different.

You'll go through an area where there is nothing but trees on either side of the road and out of no where, there is a small driveway on the right with a gate up in the driveway. I cannot remember if there is a mailbox or not (either by the driveway or across the road). If you pass by it, the road will keep going through a rolling tree scape, go down a hill and there is lots of pasture on the right hand side of the road. I believe the road will curve around to the left slightly.

In the fall, if you drive by it, you can see the massive house through the trees up on the hill (looking from the driveway up). Ive never been there personally, but Ive seen it from the road and what little bit I could see, I could only imagine how beautiful it is.

For those of you who are Andre fans, I hope this helps...

Blessings,
~B~

Old 07-14-2009, 10:19 PM

1 posts, read 16,293 times
This is exactly what I have been searching for. Thank you so ever much. Brenda Cornett...my email addy is [email]Givemeataxbreak@hotmail.com[/email]

Old 04-30-2010, 11:23 PM

1 posts, read 14,749 times
I rode by that house many times when I lived in NC. Great motorcycle ride. Never saw the house, only the entrance. I have been puzzled how Andre came to live there, when he was from France. Also, who lives there now? Another famous person from Ellerbee was NASCAR driver Benny Parsons, who lived in Ellerbee when he drove for trucking company owner L.G. DeWitt there, and who also was founder and owner of the N.C. Motor Speedway, Rockingham nearby (and a drag racing strip across the highway). That track is no longer on the NASCAR schedule, but the Buck Baker driving school uses it, as do some movies and TV shows on racing. Parsons won the NASCAR championship points champ in 1973, Daytona 500 in 1975, and won over 20 races and over 20 poles, not accomplished by a whole lot of drivers. He later drove for several other car owners and moved to Charlotte. He retired after the 1988 season and became a popular TV broadcaster of races. Another driver was John Sears of Ellerbee. Low-budget, he never won a race but won two pole positions, and drove from the mid-60's thru the early 70's. Had a car repair shop in Ellerbee. I met him at a peach stand in the early 1990's. I love peaches and would ride there for them. That was peach country. I would not have recognized him, but had been reading a racing magazine that featured the retired drivers and there were photos of him. A really nice guy to talk to. He died in 1999. There is a short article on him on Wikipedia.org. My e-mail is [email]wmitch9@yahoo.com[/email].
Walt

Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 11,597 times
i have lived in Pekin, and i know of the AFJ ranch, and Andre's house i seen it in the fall no leaves to block it, it has a tree growing in the middle of it and its like a castle. when we would ride by there when i was little i would ask my father who lived in such a big home he said your favorite wwe wrestler, my face lit up like a Christmas tree... ANDRE THE GIANT. i lived on Valley View Church road and did not know i wasn't that far from this mans house. now i am married and living in Durham i want to take my husband by there and show him a "Castle" he was a nice man who helped people out and all. for me being a girl i loved ATG and would cheer for him. when i heard he passed away i cried a legend had been lost. he is still with us and i know he is watching over us and his AFJ Ranch. and yes his longhorns are still there to this day!!!

~C.S.M~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina