Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 20,518 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about movine to NC and noticed noone has a swimming pool-either above ground or inground. Why is that? Possibly it is the land-or just the houses we are looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 03:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
The reason you are having little luck is pretty well discussed in this thread

Pools in backyards???

Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,278 times
For some reason they just aren't as popular here as in other parts of the country. It really hasn't to do with the land, or the climate or the homes themselves. Some subdivisions have their restrictive covenants, but, that does not account for all of the homes out of these that don't have them to begin with.
If you'd like a pool there is nothing in NC deterring one from putting one in. Just check your hoa rules if you have one beforehand.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 AM

I also think it might have to do with history of the area with lot of homes use to be on well water or have septic systems in back yard. It is alot of work in up keep in this area with tree leaves winterizing etc. Im sure they are costly as price of cement isnt that cheap.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:51 PM

62 posts, read 322,019 times
I am thinking that maybe it is just the houses you are looking at. No, there are not as many pools in NC as there are in Florida, but they are here. Both above ground as well as inground pools. However, most inground pools here I have noticed have liners and are not concrete ones.
Keep looking as I am sure you will find one.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:59 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,098,958 times
We were looking on the internet at homes along the coast in NC. And most of them had pools. Oceanfront ones had pools, sound front ones had pools. So that's interesting that more inland there are less pools. We also looked at homes in the Mt Isle area on the lake and they did not have pools. But most of those homes were brand new homes and you could probably put your own pool in yourself. Not sure though.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:10 PM

23 posts, read 114,442 times
Good question! I've been here 50 yrs, and have no pool. How dumb is that!? Great, now you've put a very expensive idea in my head! Why sit around and just sweat like this?

Old 07-15-2007, 06:21 AM

11 posts, read 71,136 times
From the Hickory Daily Record of 7/14:

CLAREMONT -- Charles Sigmon found an unexpected swimmer in his pool Friday afternoon - a baby deer who managed to get over his fence and into the water.
“I came home and I heard my dog barking in the backyard. I came back here and I saw the deer swimming in the pool,” Sigmon said. “She looked like she was getting pretty tired.”
Sigmon grabbed a rope from his house and, after a few attempts, managed to throw it over the deer’s head and bring her to the edge of the pool.
“It was hard. She kept swimming away from the rope. She was probably in the pool 30 minutes,” he said. “But once I finally got her, she took off running. She thought she was free. She didn’t realize that I had a rope around her.”
Sigmon picked up the deer and put her inside a dog carrier for her protection.
To get into Sigmon’s backyard, the fawn had to have jumped over a 4-foot high chain link fence or squeezed between a 3-inch gap between the gate and fence. Sigmon said he frequently sees deer in the grassy field and woods behind his house, but he usually sees them at dusk.
The fawn will be released back into the wild.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPines View Post
From the Hickory Daily Record of 7/14:

CLAREMONT -- Charles Sigmon found an unexpected swimmer in his pool Friday afternoon - a baby deer who managed to get over his fence and into the water.
“I came home and I heard my dog barking in the backyard. I came back here and I saw the deer swimming in the pool,” Sigmon said. “She looked like she was getting pretty tired.”
Sigmon grabbed a rope from his house and, after a few attempts, managed to throw it over the deer’s head and bring her to the edge of the pool.
“It was hard. She kept swimming away from the rope. She was probably in the pool 30 minutes,” he said. “But once I finally got her, she took off running. She thought she was free. She didn’t realize that I had a rope around her.”
Sigmon picked up the deer and put her inside a dog carrier for her protection.
To get into Sigmon’s backyard, the fawn had to have jumped over a 4-foot high chain link fence or squeezed between a 3-inch gap between the gate and fence. Sigmon said he frequently sees deer in the grassy field and woods behind his house, but he usually sees them at dusk.
The fawn will be released back into the wild.
OH DEER!

I hope it was wearing sun screen

Old 07-15-2007, 07:18 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,331,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniep View Post
Good question! I've been here 50 yrs, and have no pool. How dumb is that!? Great, now you've put a very expensive idea in my head! Why sit around and just sweat like this?
OH NO!

Now, that's funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina