U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 AM

9 posts, read 25,985 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

So right now I live in Rhode Island, and I've been thinking about moving to North Carolina for some time.

I work in the IT industry (Network Admin, Network Engineer, Computer Repair, you name it I'll do it and get the cert and have a BS)

Here are the three big criteria:

1) No cities, cant stand cities, I hate going to the small city of Providence.

2) I Don't mind slowing down, that's the culture I'm looking for, but I don't want to move where there are........ rednecks basically. I don't know how to put it nicely, I'm really sorry. I don't care if your a crazy bastard that has a bon fire and a pig roast (sounds like fun!) I'm more so worried about the drunk with a shotgun type I suppose. (Sorry if I offended, really, I could just be an ignorant d!ck) I know every state has their bad spots, like don't move to an area called arctic village in West Warwick, RI. Dreadful area.

3) I like the type of place where you are like a 10 minute drive into woods yet 15-20 minutes from walmart and a few restaurants. Not completely in the middle of nowhere so you have to drive an hour to pick up something from the store.

Are there general areas you suggest? As far as living requirements it wouldn't be too bad as it is just me and my wife.

Last edited by McDizzle; 12-01-2010 at 04:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:07 AM

21,094 posts, read 23,822,000 times
1. IT may, and I say that with emphasis, MAY only be found in larger urban areas. Though you can communte to an IT position IF you find one.

2. It is North Carolina, it will not be avoided.

3. See number 2 above. It's generally less than 5 minutes and you find yourself in the midst of rural living at its best.

4. Does your wife know about this "desire" to commune with nature?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:12 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,122,814 times
Honestly, to find the "slow" lifestyle, you will really need to be quite a distance outside a major city, or look into another state altogether. Speaking from experience in Charlotte, the transplant ratio is high enough that the city is hustlin' and bustlin' most of the time. This would mean a really long commute for most available IT positions - and there are not enough IT positions to go around in NC right now.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
1. IT may, and I say that with emphasis, MAY only be found in larger urban areas. Though you can communte to an IT position IF you find one.

2. It is North Carolina, it will not be avoided.

3. See number 2 above. It's generally less than 5 minutes and you find yourself in the midst of rural living at its best.

4. Does your wife know about this "desire" to commune with nature?
1) Meh, that's okay. I'll start looking now I suppose... see what happens down the line.

2) Doh!

3) :/

4) Yes, she wants to live an hour in the woods, this is the half way point

Old 12-01-2010, 10:55 AM

10,389 posts, read 19,355,629 times
I'm most curious as to how you think you can move to a Southern state, away from the cities, yet not encounter what you call "Rednecks"? That's generally part and parcel of being "rural", no matter what state you're in. The "cosmopolitan" people tend to be in or near cities. NC is a mix of modern, fast-growth, semi-urban/urban areas surrounded by LOTS of sprawling suburbs, and other counties that are still "rural Southern" culture (around 80 of 100 counties are classified as "rural" be the Census bureau, I believe). You're either going to be in a city or its "shadow", with the ensuant traffic etc., or be in a rural/small town area where many of the citizens are what you so nicely refer to as the "drunk with the shotgun" (stereo)type.

How much do you actually know about NC, since you've "been thinking about moving here for some time"? What about NC attracted you if not the cities NOR the rural folk?

Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 AM

3,796 posts, read 9,704,161 times
Native Rhode Islander here...born and raised in Warwick, husband is from Newport. We moved here just over 2.5 years ago from the Garden City area of Cranston. We live in Cary...very suburban, sort of like Barrington on steroids without the water nearby. I think there are many areas that would suit you in the triangle, more specifically, check out Wake Forest, Apex, or Hillsborough. We love it here and would never even consider returning to RI. We were just there over Thanksgiving and were so glad to get home to Cary. Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:56 AM

42 posts, read 61,763 times
I am a North Carolinian that lived in Boston for awhile and really glad to be living back in NC. There are many areas around Greensboro that fit your needs, the redneck thing however, I found that they live all over the place, not necessarily in the south.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm most curious as to how you think you can move to a Southern state, away from the cities, yet not encounter what you call "Rednecks"? That's generally part and parcel of being "rural", no matter what state you're in. The "cosmopolitan" people tend to be in or near cities. NC is a mix of modern, fast-growth, semi-urban/urban areas surrounded by LOTS of sprawling suburbs, and other counties that are still "rural Southern" culture (around 80 of 100 counties are classified as "rural" be the Census bureau, I believe). You're either going to be in a city or its "shadow", with the ensuant traffic etc., or be in a rural/small town area where many of the citizens are what you so nicely refer to as the "drunk with the shotgun" (stereo)type.

How much do you actually know about NC, since you've "been thinking about moving here for some time"? What about NC attracted you if not the cities NOR the rural folk?
Okay, maybe I wasn't clear on the redneck thing. We have the northern version of rednecks called "hicks" lol. Basically the same thing. I'm probably just stereotyping that which exists everywhere in slightly different flavors so that is probably really not a big deal.

I suppose I'm looking for a crowd between cosmopolitan and "redneck" or "hick". I'm tired of the hustle and bustle and better, faster, stronger, more money, more stuff, step on each others throat culture that is New England. I'm a very easy going and laid back type of person myself.

Plus, when I get out of work at 5:00 and it's pitch black outside and cold I just want to curl into a blanket and sleep through the winter. I like the winter just not so much of it.

I'm here at this forum because I've been thinking about moving and NC seems like a nice place and I really don't know much about it. I'm looking for a lifestyle overhaul, I get depressed in the winter, and people around here are mostly cold and devoid of life, it's also very expensive to live in this little crooked state. Those are the main reasons for the move I suppose, it's just generally depressing here.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:46 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,800,274 times
If you want some sort of winter, I'd imagine there are areas in western NC that fit your criteria. I'm not well versed on tht area of the state to recommend any specific areas. There can be a very thin line in NC between a community that is welcoming to "outsiders" and one that is quite the opposite.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:37 AM

2,954 posts, read 6,122,814 times
The thing that strikes me is your desire to leave behind the mentality of keeping up with the Jones' you find in the NE... But, so many of your NE counterparts have already moved down here and are continuing to keep up with the Jones'. Big house, luxury cars, lots of money being spent. I've seen more BMW, Lexus, Bentz, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln, etc cars in the Charlotte metro in the past 18 months than I have seen in my entire life living in several different cities across 2 different states before moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina