Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 06:27 AM

310 posts, read 1,715,339 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am building a new home. I want to hire an inspector to inspect and oversee the building process.

At what stages the inspector should inspect the new home?

I am thinking a pre-drywall inspection, and a final inspection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,124 times
You should do it once a week because if you don't have an inspector the builder is going to cut corners. They will not put in as much insulation and any other way they can save money.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
You should do it once a week because if you don't have an inspector the builder is going to cut corners. They will not put in as much insulation and any other way they can save money.
You mean the inspector should come once a week?
Do you know how much that adds up to be?!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:17 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,427,768 times
Integrity Inspection Service (http://www.integrityinspectionsvc.com/ - broken link)

This guy will be able to help.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Integrity Inspection Service (http://www.integrityinspectionsvc.com/ - broken link)

This guy will be able to help.
Thanks, but on the web site it says that serving the greater metropolitan area of Charlotte, NC. I am in Raleigh.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:38 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE1000 View Post
You mean the inspector should come once a week?
Do you know how much that adds up to be?!
It can be done for 1500$ but its worth it. They go out once a week and make sure the builder is doing everything thing correctly. Also if the builder knows someone is checking weekly they will do things correctly. Then they will cut corners on someone elses house and not yours

Old 07-12-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLTZ View Post
It can be done for 1500$ but its worth it. They go out once a week and make sure the builder is doing everything thing correctly. Also if the builder knows someone is checking weekly they will do things correctly. Then they will cut corners on someone elses house and not yours
Thank you very much

Old 07-12-2007, 09:20 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
More and more people are getting their new homes inspected. I think its a great idea. One of my Home Inspectors said that he thinks its a good idea to WAIT UNTIL THE HOUSE IS TEN MONTHS OLD and then have it inspected. That way, the house has had time to settle and its right before the one year anniversary of the home so the builder will be coming back to do any necessary repairs.

On the other hand...just had one of my listings inspected by the new buyers. This is a very expensive custom built home. The Home Inspector found that the floor joist under the downstairs l/2 bathroom had been cut incorrectly.

I had my seller call the builder even though the house is 3 years old. The builder was astonished at what he saw! Seems someone cut the floor joist to fit some piping in and never went back to add another floor joist. Even after 3 years, the builder did the repairs!

Vicki

Old 07-13-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
More and more people are getting their new homes inspected. I think its a great idea. One of my Home Inspectors said that he thinks its a good idea to WAIT UNTIL THE HOUSE IS TEN MONTHS OLD and then have it inspected. That way, the house has had time to settle and its right before the one year anniversary of the home so the builder will be coming back to do any necessary repairs.

On the other hand...just had one of my listings inspected by the new buyers. This is a very expensive custom built home. The Home Inspector found that the floor joist under the downstairs l/2 bathroom had been cut incorrectly.

I had my seller call the builder even though the house is 3 years old. The builder was astonished at what he saw! Seems someone cut the floor joist to fit some piping in and never went back to add another floor joist. Even after 3 years, the builder did the repairs!

Vicki
Thanks Vicki.
Do you know an inspector who is well knowledgeable with all building process, construction, plumbing, HVAC..etc I want to hire someone to basically oversee all aspects of the building process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina