Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 AM

33 posts, read 173,287 times

Advertisements

Okay...I am down to the wire here about putting in my offer. I am moving (If I do the move) to the Carthage area in Moore county. I need to know just how bad the snake issue is down there. From alot of the posts on this forum and others I am envisioning my dogs being infested with fleas and ticks and my driveway and yard over run with poisonous snakes. I am really not wanting to endanger my dogs lives by moving. I do have horses also and not really wanting them infested with ticks either. This place I am looking at has almost no woods on it (some around it) but overall is very open and rolling. The neighbor does have a pond but it is pretty far away though I can see it from the deck. So anyone who has been there a while or who is just moving in...tell me about your snake sighting and if you have pets how much worse are they scratching them where you left. My guys have no fleas or ticks here yet this year. I am in Delaware. Thanks in advance for any info....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 02:02 PM

420 posts, read 1,535,051 times
Carthage is a beautiful area.

We do a lot of bird hunting and some riding down in Moore and Hoke County. Ticks are there---and you will need to "pick your poison" to help your animals deal with them (I use Frontline on the dogs; unless the horses spend time in the woods, it is fairly rare to find many ticks on them). I actually think the ticks are not as bad in this area as further north, towards Chapel Hill/Durham. Sand burs can be a problems for dogs (in ears, feet), but can also be managed on your land.

Summer is pretty intense in the Sandhills. The humidity is slightly less than further north, but the sand reflects a lot of heat. Fall through spring is just wonderful there.

As far as snakes go, you are still far enough west to avoid the eastern diamond rattlesnake (which is pretty subdued, as rattlesnakes go). There are a few pygmy rattlers supposedly in the area (I've never seen them).

Eastern Coral Snakes are quite rare in the Sandhills. According to http://www.naturalsciences.org/research/herpetology/Venomous_Snakes_of_NC.pdf (broken link), there are no recent sightings of this species in the Sandhills.

Copperheads are more plentiful and are most common in woods (and wood piles and such). After 15+ years of living in the country with dogs, this was the first year I had a dog bitten by a copperhead (the dog went after the snake). The dog recovered well (bite was to the face). Generally, copperheads get out of your way in a hurry, if you give them the chance to do so.

Cottonmouths do make occasional appearances in ponds, quarries and such. I run/swim from them!

Hope this is helpful!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:06 PM

23 posts, read 114,510 times
Everything "Piedmont" said is correct. I live a little north of there. When you live here, you just have to deal w/it. I'm mortified of snakes, and know they're there. Keep a hoe or a pistol handy. I know that sounds crazy, but you just get used to it. Last year, had a copperhead on the deck. Almost had a heart attack! Had a collie bit by one, too. He made it just fine though.
I guess the hoe & pistol thing make me sound like a nutty southerner, but it's just fact. We have a barn & pasture, so I guess we learned to live w/it.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:44 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Default Fleas and ticks

Are fleas and ticks here all year long or does the cold of winter keep them at bay?? Do I need to treat my cats all year long?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,644,872 times
I just recently moved here but there was a thread a few months back about this I think on the Raleigh forum. The most advice given out was to treat all year long. I also checked with my vet before leaving Florida and he said to do it all year also. My dog is only out for his walks and my cat is always indoors but he said it is better to be safe than sorry.

My neighbor in Florida used to live in northern Alabama and didn't treat all year and her dog came down with heartworm. The dog is fine now but the treatments were very expensive.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:12 AM

143 posts, read 485,548 times
I have two indoor cats and we have had no flea problems whatsoever. If your cats go outside, YMMV.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:51 PM

25 posts, read 153,263 times
My dog usually doesn't have them during Winter time, but it is recommended to treat your pets all year round.

If your kitties never go outside though, that might not be necessary.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:20 PM

33 posts, read 173,287 times
Umm..... yes I have heard of pills the vet gives you, and the collars and the frontline .....unfortunately my one dog is epileptic and also immune deficient so he can not have pills, frontline, or any other chemical on him or in him as he will go into violent seizures...but thank you for your kind and helpful smartmouth remarks I really appreciate it.
Also to answer your question no we do not have snakes here (not poisonous ones, and my dogs have never had a flea or a tick here and I do nothing as far as prevention and I have had dogs here for over 30 years now. They live on a 65 acre horse farm and are not in the woods. Down there they would be much closer to woods and only on 10 acres.
For everyone else....thank you for the replies I really appreciate it. This is a big move for me.

Moderator cut: quote remove

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-25-2007 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: quote in reference is removed for being a trolling statement

Old 07-26-2007, 12:33 AM

25 posts, read 153,263 times
It is impossible to avoid ticks and fleas in North Carolina, unless you treat your pets with Frontline all year round. The climate is hot and humid, and most areas are still very green ... so naturally, that's the perfect environment for ticks and fleas to multiply.

Even I had a tick crawling on my leg just a few weeks ago. That is really the one thing I hate the most about NC.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:53 PM

43 posts, read 218,380 times
this is the 2nd..I'm sure there are more..post on ticks/fleas..if you live in the city area..is there still a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina