U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 09:47 PM

477 posts, read 1,440,643 times

Advertisements

I see some have suggested renting before deciding to buy when relocating. I am considering this becasue I don't want to make a mistake in the area we choose to live. I would hope though, that using a realtor would alleviate some of the "unknown". Are there rentals in and around the areas that new homes are being built or are most apts. and townhomes in their own area? I hate the thought of living in an apartment and don't even know if it would be possible because of our dog. But, I looked around at some home rentals, they are NOT cheap. It would cost more to rent a house than to buy from what I have seen online. Any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 PM

295 posts, read 1,195,021 times
I don't have an answer, but sympathize with your decision. I'm selling my house here in Upstate NY but am wondering if it wouldn't be better if I rented for at least a few months to become more familiar with the area, myself.

I'm trying to avoid it, but don't want to be in my next house for a year or so and wish I was in a different area. Good luck.

For what its worth, my brother lives in a nice apartment community in Concord and has a dog. I think he may have had to have another $100 security deposit, but other than that no added expense (of course he gets his extra security deposit back when he moves out if the place is in good shape.)

Old 08-19-2006, 05:19 AM

741 posts, read 3,264,266 times
For what it's worth, we will rent for 3-6 months if we ever sell our house that is. Dogs are welcome in almost every apartment I checked on-line. The rents on the apartments compared to where I am from are half of what they go for here. I do know that realtors have to abide by certain laws and can't answer specific questions on hows the neighborhood. On my street here there's a house that was a scene of a husband killing his wife and the people who live in the house now had no idea.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:25 AM

1,536 posts, read 5,111,294 times
I have rented to many people from the North that choose to learn the area first. I myself did that, and think its a great idea. I have rented from townhomes, to larger homes in several areas, from a range of prices. There really is alot out there as far as rentals go. It just depends on what your looking for as far as location, and price. If I can help just let me know.

Have a great weekend,

Debbie

Old 08-19-2006, 06:41 AM

4 posts, read 6,939 times
Default Cosult A Realtor

I would strongly suggest using a Realtor, many have relo packages available, they can assist with rentals also. If interested I can refer you to knowledgeable local Realtors.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 6,939 times
Default oops! not a typist..."Consult"

I meant "Consult" a Realtor.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:16 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,296,347 times
I'd love to rent first but I have 4 kids, 1 cat and an outside dog who needs a large fenced in yard.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:49 AM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,776,313 times
Default rental

We rented a 3-bedroom house for over a year when we moved to NC. I think you can find rental houses as opposed to only apartments or townhouses.

Sure, the monthly rent was about the same as a mortgage payment, but think of it as insurance - if you move somewhere and hate it, you're only locked in for the rental term (or less if you can break it). Buying and selling a house involves transaction costs, not to mention that there is no guarantee that your house will quickly or easily sell. Even if you like your new city, but would rather live somehwhere else in that area, your hands may be tied if you immediately buy when you move there.

This isn't always the case - some poeple may have scoped out an area or done enough research to know exactly where they want to live, or they may be smart or lucky enough to find the "best" place for them after a short visit. But if you're unfamiliar with an area or if there's a chance that the move may only be temporary, you should consider renting before buying.

Old 08-21-2006, 11:20 PM

259 posts, read 1,094,238 times
I would definitely reccomend renting first. I am doing it right now and am so glad I did. When we were planning our move to Charlotte from Florida we wanted to buy a house and move right in. We put in an offer on a good house very close to my job but it fell through. We went ahead with the move and decided to rent instead...... after all we had no choice, with no time left to find and close on a house.
I HATED the fact I would have to move another time. I have 2 kids, lots of books, and no one here to help me move in, or even move out when I buy a house. But I'm still glad I did it, because we ended up liking a whole different area which we are now viewing houses in, and realized the area that was "so close to my job" was not such a great place to be and the iudea of not being close to work doesnt even bother me now. Its funny, the things you think are SO important end up not mattering much.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 AM

956 posts, read 4,074,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I'd love to rent first but I have 4 kids, 1 cat and an outside dog who needs a large fenced in yard.
Just rent you a trailor-house. The woods is full of em.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina