U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM

11 posts, read 22,979 times

Advertisements

I am hoping to find a bit of assistance here. My husband and I relocated to PA from CA about year ago, however, it is just not working out for us. We work at home and can work anywhere so that is not a consideration. We are looking for an area to live where the people are friendly and welcoming! We have no kids and are in our late 50's. We have horses and other pets and need about 12 or more acres and a large house. We must be about an hour +/- from a large airport and also need good doctors within an easy drive. Having places to shop, coffee shops, nice restaurants, etc. is really important also. We do want a safe area and little snow, LOL.

I don't mean to ask for so much <g> but that is what we really are trying to find. Any advice is most welcome. We are planning a visit to the South in early August and while we are looking in NC would consider other locales in the South also. Many thanks for your help.

ruth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 11:58 AM

3,662 posts, read 8,465,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_98 View Post
I am hoping to find a bit of assistance here. My husband and I relocated to PA from CA about year ago, however, it is just not working out for us. We work at home and can work anywhere so that is not a consideration. We are looking for an area to live where the people are friendly and welcoming! We have no kids and are in our late 50's. We have horses and other pets and need about 12 or more acres and a large house. We must be about an hour +/- from a large airport and also need good doctors within an easy drive. Having places to shop, coffee shops, nice restaurants, etc. is really important also. We do want a safe area and little snow, LOL.

I don't mean to ask for so much <g> but that is what we really are trying to find. Any advice is most welcome. We are planning a visit to the South in early August and while we are looking in NC would consider other locales in the South also. Many thanks for your help.

ruth
Plenty of rural places around Charlotte that are very close to everything you need. In fact, you can have a horse farm in one spot with a shopping center a mile away. LOTS of horses down here!! Try Union, Iredell, Cabarrus, Lincoln, Rowan, and Gaston counties. My favorite of these would be Union, which is more posh than the other counties and very horse friendly, imo.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:36 PM

399 posts, read 1,275,824 times
Depending on your budget, you might also look at the greater Raleigh area (including Southern Pines in Moore County). SP/Pinehurst is horse heaven and is a very pleasant area. Charlotte and RDU (Raleigh-Durham) are the only decently sized airports in the state.

For more specific horse friendly areas, browse the message boards of nchorsenews.com

Old 07-12-2007, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,892 times
Default Try the Chapel Hill Area and Pittsboro.NC

My sister lives in Pittsboro which is mostly rural although very close to a 5 star restaurant called Farrington Village. You are about 1/2 hour from Raleigh Durham airport. There is Duke Medical and another famous hospital there. Chappel Hill has all the dining a quaintness of a college town and you would be close to Raleigh with great restaurants and the people from Research Triangle Park. You won't see much snow but can see some and defintely ice at times but only for a few months. 2 and 1/2 hours away you can go to Wrightsville Beach, Kure Beach or Carolina Beach which are beautiful places where the Cape Fear River meets the Atlantic Ocean. Wilmingon has great river side restaurants.

Charleston is another location but you won't see any snow!

Good Luck.
Write if you have more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth_98 View Post

ruth

Old 07-12-2007, 04:12 PM

11 posts, read 22,979 times
Thank you so much, folks, for your excellent suggestions! These are areas that I had not looked at as yet so I am really excited to start my research. I am glad for realtor.com so we can check out prices and of course, we love city-data.com for a wealth of info that is not easy to find in one place.

I will let everyone know how our hunt goes and again, many thanks!!

ruth

Old 07-13-2007, 10:34 PM

4 posts, read 9,359 times
If your still don't want to be far from the city I'd consider bonterra in Union County it's about 30 minutes from charlotte and they take extremely good care of your horses. It is however a little expensive though.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:52 AM

150 posts, read 539,424 times
You may also want to check out some areas in Franklin County in and around Youngsville and Franklington - there are some great horse friendly communities there!

Old 07-14-2007, 03:51 PM

23 posts, read 96,136 times
Check into Randolph or Rockingham Counties. Both are rural counties, beautiful counties, with a lot of horse properties and within an hour or less from PTI airport in Greensboro

Old 01-15-2008, 03:06 PM

21 posts, read 64,036 times
Do you have a horse at Bonterra? My horse was at the Bonterra barn. I would not say extremely good care was taken of our horse. Considering he got ringworm and was bitten by a snake. You also have to work at the barn on the weekends. My horse is now 30 mins away and is getting extremely good care.

Old 01-15-2008, 09:04 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,573,366 times
Well, two cents worth here, just a little north of Greensboro is Oak Ridge, a rural community with a lot of "horse" activity, they also have an old mill, water powered that grinds really good flour, grits, et al. The post from AnnieP may have been alluding to Oak Ridge, among other places, close to airport....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina