Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM

101 posts, read 227,106 times

Advertisements

If you were an empty nest couple with a business that you can do from anywhere in North Carolina where would you be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Person View Post
If you were an empty nest couple with a business that you can do from anywhere in North Carolina where would you be?
Somewhere along the Crystal Coast, if I preferred the beach

A year's worth of Crystal Coast Memories

BUT, as I personally love the mountains, I'd go first to Lake James near Morganton and live with a beautiful view of the lake with a mountain backdrop. Another fave would be north of Asheville near Mars Hill

Last edited by lovesMountains; 12-12-2010 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-12-2010, 05:05 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
TRiangle area. Close to mountains, ocean, north to DC and VA and south to GA and FL.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:39 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Asheville area if you like the mountains, or the Boone/Blowing Rock area if you want a considerably cooler mountain climate.

Lake James or Lake Gaston if you like the thought of living on a lake.

New Bern if you want to be near the coast.

Wilmington if you want a city near the beach and the warmest weather in the state.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Western Piedmont: Morganton/Hickory area

-not much snow, less likely to have tornadoes, rarely affected greatly by hurricanes
-close to mountains, lakes
-choices of rural, small-town, small-city
-needs people who bring their own jobs
-inexpensive land and houses

OP, what do you like? You don't need a job, but what do you do when you aren't working? What do you want to see when you look out the window or step outside the door? What do you want to be near?

Old 12-13-2010, 10:49 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
OP, what do you like? You don't need a job, but what do you do when you aren't working? What do you want to see when you look out the window or step outside the door? What do you want to be near?
Yes, the question doesn't make a lot of sense. You seem to have decided on NC for some reason, but aren't saying why? That reason will be important as to what part of NC you will like--the state is far from homogenous! How much do you even know about the state? Generally people find a city/town they like and then ask about neighborhoods, not a whole state they like and ask about towns, since the state has a little bit of everything (mountains/coast; urban/suburban/rural; liberal/conservative, etc). What kinds of things are you looking for in a place to live? Why have you narrowed it to NC but no further?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I'd have a place at the beach (near Wilmington) and a place in the mountains (near Boone), and I'd travel to either one whenever I felt like it.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:32 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
If you could pick-where would you live?

I was a Dupont Brat growing up, moved all over the country, both coasts, Texas to Upper NY, in my late 20's and early 30's I was all over C and S America, and W. Africa. I finally found a place I could call home, it's in Mebane, yeah, I know, really small town easy access to Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, either the Raleigh or Greensboro airport is accessable, really friendly people and the best Mexican Restaurante I've found outside of Veracruz, and the Buckhorn Road Flea Market, it's huge and mostly Hispanic, I like Hispanics, they treated me very well when I was in their countries. I like Nigerians too, I was actually in small village Nigeria, not one of the cities and absolultely loved it, nice folks, somewhat peculiar eating habits but, in most of the world, diet is a function of what you have - rather than what you would prefer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina