U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 06:10 PM

693 posts, read 2,545,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Not true! D** Now leases everything....You can get a HD DVR Model # hr10-250 for free now at best buy.
the Hughes DVR HR10-250 uses old technology and when Directv finally switches to MPEG-4 it will no longer work. I don't know if Directv has finally switched to MPEG-4 but when I was a subscriber many years ago they were planning and planning I finally got tired and switched to cable. As far as the lease i'm not sure if that's correct.. when i went to their web site this afternoon i was told it would cost $299 after rebate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2006, 06:44 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,872 times
Well here is my .02

I used to be on DTV and was very disappointed when I wanted to upgrade for the DVR. Dish at the time were letting new users get the dvr rec. for free. Costs an extra 5.99 per month. With Dish i get way more channels in the same package as I did for DTV. I have little ones hterefore some of the channels there are good for me.

On the otherside of this. I have been looking into timewarner. I can drop my DSL/telephone $100 month and then my Dish for 79.99 I have unlimited cell anyways so I can use this for my home number as well (friends/family)

Cable internet and the same channels i have now is around $80. So I should save somewhere around $200 a month if my calculations are correct.

Not sure where I am going with this, but I wa interested in the thread as I really have the same question.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:48 PM

787 posts, read 3,317,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Not in NC, but I have used Dish and Direct and Direct is better. I wouldn't go back. Dish to me had poor picture quality to poor customer service.
Again as for DSL VS Cable. I wouldn't go back to cable for internet service. The quality of DSL is much better.
I have had both Cable, Dishnetwork and I now have Direct TV. You couldn't pay me to go back to the cable or Dish but between cable and Dish, Dish would win out.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:36 PM

63 posts, read 192,860 times
does either offer on demand? Comcast has movies on demand and you can watch all the movies for free (some with subscription to cable stations) or you can pay for the movie and watch it right then and there (so much better then block buster) does either time warner or direct tv offer this service?
Thanks
Dawn

Old 08-20-2006, 07:48 PM

336 posts, read 401,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddcatwoman View Post
does either offer on demand? Comcast has movies on demand and you can watch all the movies for free (some with subscription to cable stations) or you can pay for the movie and watch it right then and there (so much better then block buster) does either time warner or direct tv offer this service?
Thanks
Dawn
Time Warner cable has on demand. DirecTV has about 100 PPV movie channels, but no on demand type stuff.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:13 PM

136 posts, read 703,695 times
I moved from Jersey to NC. I had comcast for everything. While many people didnt like Comcast. I absolutely Loved it.

First, as for the Internet. Im not sure where you are moving. But I am from the Raleigh Durham area. I have Time Warner's Road Runner Internet. I think it is quicker then Comcast was in New Jersey and I knock on wood saying this I have had absolutely no problems as a constant internet user. It has run GREAT. The email service is great, their service is great. At first I had gotten a faulty modem but they were out the next day to replace it. (I actually had a similar problem when I started wtih Comcast in Jersey so I cannot complain). Great service, and connections. No complaints and I've had it for almost 2 months now. Although a short time, I am pleased.

Where we are Bellsouth wasn't an option. The options were for Time Warner's digital phone service or Embarq (Sprint). We chose Sprint because for what we wanted nationwide calling, ect. it came out to be cheaper. After pricing all cable options, we found out that getting the Dish through Embarq was cheapest. I have the closest comparable channel lineup to what I had in NJ, and it costs I believe $80-$90 for both the phone and internet (I will have to check that to be exact, i am really drawing a blank). But that is with 4 TVS, 2 DVR recievers. Top 120 package. Only thing I miss is On demand as you mentioned. They have the Football package, it is pricer and definitely not the same as Sunday Ticket from DriectTV but it will suffice. Its the same package that comcast offered. Just on Dish.

I have had service problems with the dish. Turned out the phone line that the reciever was hooked up to was faulty. But they kept coming out and were very helpful as we tried to reach a solution the problem. I have no complaints since they helped me resolve the problem and even adjusted the bill (it was thebuilders fault the line wasnt working). They DO NOT charge to have a DVR reciever. You only Rent the boxes on a month to month basis. I belive its $4 a reciever? Good thing is i have 2 DVR TV's.. and they run off a dual reciever. And I have 2 Reg. TV's which run off a regular reciever. Keep in mind on Digital Cable you are only getting those packages on the TV that has teh box. A BIG advantage.

Price it around, and a lot of it depends on the area you are moving to, But I for one am a happy Dish Subscriber actually. Besides the 18 month locked in fee. Their repairman was awesome. I personally after watching TV at other homes think the picture is clearest with Dish, but that is just my personal viewing preference.

So far Im happy. Hope I could help. Price things around! Like Do not forget Time Warner offers Phone Service (as most cable companies now do). And pick what best fits your needs.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:17 AM

180 posts, read 678,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
the Hughes DVR HR10-250 uses old technology and when Directv finally switches to MPEG-4 it will no longer work. I don't know if Directv has finally switched to MPEG-4 but when I was a subscriber many years ago they were planning and planning I finally got tired and switched to cable. As far as the lease i'm not sure if that's correct.. when i went to their web site this afternoon i was told it would cost $299 after rebate.
Right you are! It is free to existing customers that have Sunday Ticket.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:24 AM

180 posts, read 678,945 times
Anyone there try to get FIOS TV by Verizon, it is fiber optic and superior resolution compared to cable and sat...

Old 08-21-2006, 12:06 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
[quote=Catrick;65781]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Hello All,

I'm for the first time considering DSL as an option from BellSouth.

We live in Ft. Lauderdale, but we have what they call a BellSouth bundle. We get cheaper DSL, (cheaper because we have the bundle) a discount on Direct TV, unlimited long distance (landline) and when we got it, a free modum. There are more things you could get.
Go to BellSouth.com and they show you their packages. Also, go to Direct tv's website. They always have deals and specials. I remember seeing an advertisement not too long ago about some deal.

We pay $108.00 per month for the bundle. (Direct TV is a separate charge) Comcast cable down here has gone up to almost 70 just for cable.

Also, after hurricane Wilma last year, we lost electric for 10 days. BellSouth did not charge us for the DSL for that time, and for the few days we lost phone service. Direct TV also credited us even though the problem was not with their dish. The people I know that had cable has to pay unless the actual cable went out. So they are good companies to work with.
Hope that helps
Thanks for the tip on bellsouth- it's worth investigating their direct-tv discount. I don't have a land phone line here in MA (I use Vonage and cell phone almost exclusively). HOwever because of some some of the outages of heard about I'll pick up a cheap bellsouth landline...

Old 08-21-2006, 12:10 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,769 posts, read 6,752,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Well here is my .02

I used to be on DTV and was very disappointed when I wanted to upgrade for the DVR. Dish at the time were letting new users get the dvr rec. for free. Costs an extra 5.99 per month. With Dish i get way more channels in the same package as I did for DTV. I have little ones hterefore some of the channels there are good for me.

On the otherside of this. I have been looking into timewarner. I can drop my DSL/telephone $100 month and then my Dish for 79.99 I have unlimited cell anyways so I can use this for my home number as well (friends/family)

Cable internet and the same channels i have now is around $80. So I should save somewhere around $200 a month if my calculations are correct.

Not sure where I am going with this, but I wa interested in the thread as I really have the same question.
I was sorta thinking like you, but the channels you get from DTV/Dish are more than what you get from TW...At this point, I'm leaning towards some Direct TV/BellSouth combo. I'm not really a fan of DSL (cable for me has been excellent) but I'm willing to give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina