Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 01:02 PM

336 posts, read 513,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Anyone there try to get FIOS TV by Verizon, it is fiber optic and superior resolution compared to cable and sat...
Verizon hasn't ran fiber optic cables in Charlotte as far as I know. I don't think Charlotte has much for Verizion serviced areas. I would have FIOS internet service if it was available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verizon
Fios is currently not available for the state of North Carolina. Please check back for updates. The current states where FiOS is available are - California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Virginia and Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2006, 01:06 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Verizon hasn't ran fiber optic cables in Charlotte as far as I know. I don't think Charlotte has much for Verizion serviced areas. I would have FIOS internet service if it was available.
They ran the lines here, cut my power line too. No power for 8hrs. Had a generator though. Anyway, I haven't heard if service is ready yet though. I see them every where running lines.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:05 PM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times
just got my first time warner bill here is the breakdown:

Digipic 1000 combo (cable + internet) $71.35
Digital Variety (what the heck is this, i have to call them) $2.50
HD Suite $6.95 (free first month)
HD DVR service $6.95
Digital Cable box $5.00
North Carolina sales tax $4.15
Franchise fees, FCC and blah blah blah $6.88

Old 08-21-2006, 09:57 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
In various locations I have had Time Warner, Comcast, Directv and now Dish Network. Out of the four, Dish Network by far has the worst customer service. They didn't hook us up correctly until the 3rd try. Each time I had to wait for the 4 hour block they give you for the appt. time. When we moved into our house they moved the dish for free, but when we had yet another problem they wanted to charge us $30 to come back out. Every time I had an issue and called, I would spend at least 30 minutes on the phone being transferred from one person to another. As soon as our 1 year contract is up we're switching to Time Warner. We loved Comcast, but I don't believe it's available here. As far as phone service, we went with Embarq. We have unlimited local and long distance for about $55/ month total. And to have service started it only cost $20, compared to AT & T who wanted $60.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:46 AM

Although I am quite content with Time Warner cable customer service, the picture quality is much much better than comcast, price is somewhat reasonable.... I think I'll need to switch to satellite. I am having an intermittent problem with the cable picture and sound and today i'm having a third technician coming by to try to fix it. If they can't fix it today I'll cancel, it's too much hassle to have these appointments every time.

Problem is that according to feedback here the Dish is horrible and the DirecTV HD programming is poor and the charge for the DVR is outageous (have to confirm if they actually switch to lease model but the web site says you have to buy).

Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
Is there any services where they discount - cable, internet and VOIP, until verizon now getting into the cable market, we only had a choice if dish or cable, i pay 150.12 for high speed internet, cable and phone - I thought Time Warner had something similar

Old 08-23-2006, 11:58 AM

time warner have bundles, cable, internet, phone. I found their phone to be quite expensive. I pay $15 a month for Vonage, it's hard to beat that.If I switch the TV to satellite they'll charge me a lot more for the internet piece alone.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM

63 posts, read 211,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Time Warner cable has on demand. DirecTV has about 100 PPV movie channels, but no on demand type stuff.
Thanks for the info

Old 08-25-2006, 10:36 AM

5 posts, read 11,708 times
go with the dish. I'm leaving NJ in three weeks and i'm bringing the dish with me. Much better than cable. Compared to the service I had with Comcast, I was saving $30 a month with much more programming and offers like MLB xtra innings and the NFL Ticket. You won't regret it.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:05 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Is Greener View Post
Although I am quite content with Time Warner cable customer service, the picture quality is much much better than comcast, price is somewhat reasonable.... I think I'll need to switch to satellite. I am having an intermittent problem with the cable picture and sound and today i'm having a third technician coming by to try to fix it. If they can't fix it today I'll cancel, it's too much hassle to have these appointments every time.

Problem is that according to feedback here the Dish is horrible and the DirecTV HD programming is poor and the charge for the DVR is outageous (have to confirm if they actually switch to lease model but the web site says you have to buy).
Becareful wit the DirectTV HD. My dad uses this and the majority of the time he has to switch over to the non-HD channels to be able to enjoy a show without it freezing. The tech guys says its a tree limb in the way. He had them trimmed back. Still the same song and dance. He asked if he had the tree in questions cut down and it still was doing it would they give him his money back in free moths for the amount it cost to cut down the tree.

I think thye are going to just let him out of his contract. Even though he just bought the DVR HD receiver. ~300 bucks.

I guess there will always be pros and cons. I think timewarner has the best bundle for me. I still have a few moths on my Dish acoount that I have to abide by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina