Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 03:15 PM

957 posts, read 2,610,719 times

Advertisements

I agree on the Charter problems. I had them for my cable and internet in Asheville when I moved here four years ago. They couldn't keep my internet running, it would go down constantly. Must have come out to my place 10 times. I dumped both and went with DirecTV and BellSouth DSL. Am very satisfied with both. And on top of all that, just a month ago, Charter disconnected my DirecTV, believe it or not. When they were hooking up my neighbor's cable (I live in a townhouse), they disconnected my DirecTV by running my DirecTV cables into a cable box on the side of the building. It took me two hours to get everything sorted out and figure out which cables were which and what they had done. A call to them was absolutely worthless...they called me back a week later wondering if they should come out to fix it. I would probably switch back to Dialup before I'd go with them on broadband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2006, 03:25 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,517,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Right now my DISHNETWORK is out. Will be for a few hours, everytime it storms, which it does often here, it goes out for a few hours. Also, I have to pay extra for our local channels....Not worth it, wish I would have gotten Direct TV.

I'm about to sign up with DirectTV (only way to get the NFL Sunday Ticket- gotta have it (well not gotta, but I want it...). Do you think DirectTV would be any better during the storm?

Old 08-30-2006, 03:32 PM

957 posts, read 2,610,719 times
I've probably lost my DirecTV reception 5 times in 3 years. It just doesn't happen very often. And it's not out for long. Heavy rainstorms will cause it, as will snow on the dish, which happens occasionally in Asheville.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:38 PM

336 posts, read 509,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I'm about to sign up with DirectTV (only way to get the NFL Sunday Ticket- gotta have it (well not gotta, but I want it...). Do you think DirectTV would be any better during the storm?
DirecTV and DISH Network should be the same during heavy rain. I have noticed my DirecTV out 3 times in my past 2 months here. Once for about 10 minutes the first week, once for about 5 minutes yesterday, and today for about 25 minutes. I have still been happy with DirecTV for 10 years.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:03 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,656,791 times
I never have lost my DirectV here in NC, at least not to date. The most I have had to contend with is heavy thundershowers and rain, no problem. In PA I never lost me DirectV either except in one very heavy snow when the snow was sticking to everything and managed to coat my dish. Even in blizzards I still had my DirectV as long as the snow was of the dry variety.
Don

Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
DirecTV and DISH Network should be the same during heavy rain. I have noticed my DirecTV out 3 times in my past 2 months here. Once for about 10 minutes the first week, once for about 5 minutes yesterday, and today for about 25 minutes. I have still been happy with DirecTV for 10 years.
Well I look forward to the NFL Sunday Ticket!

Old 10-19-2006, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,183 times
Default here's my opinions ...

For all those wondering, I have had Dishnet, Directtv, Charter cable, Adelphia, and now Time Warner. Being a pastor, I have moved to many areas and because of that tried many services. My only complaints against satellite is the lack of "on demand" and broadband is not as easily available. For that reason and a billing error by one of the sate. companies, my wife and I switched to cable for tv and internet. My wife and I loved Charter out of Morganton, NC, but it is not an option at our current church. Where we are now, we had to go with Adelphia (now Time Warner). The only issues we have had is with e-mail since Time Warner took over (it is an open ticket issue which appears to be a large problem since the mergers). However, I use gmail so it has not really been a big issue for me.

As for our services, we use Time Warner now for cable with broadband (around $105/month for us to have all the channels and the net (which may change on Jan. 1st, when we move from the Adelphia line up to Time Warner's). As for phone services, I use and recommend Vonage. We have had them for over three years now and have never had any problems (except for 2 short outages in these three years due to the cable being down). All said and done, we spend about $130/month for cable, net, and phone (which gives us free calling to US, Puerto Rico, Canada, and most of Europe). For us this is great because my wife is a foreign national.

Like others have said, just go with what is best in your price range. And FYI -- our download speeds average at 6.3

Old 10-19-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Well I look forward to the NFL Sunday Ticket!
Well I couldn't get it because of lack of a southern exposure. Plus the directv guy freaked out about violating the HOA, and possibly ripping off the side of my house . Either case, bummer, no NFL Sunday Ticket...oh well I've been forced to watch more Panther's games as result

Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,806,242 times
Mike I am confused? The NFL Sunday ticket you can watch any game right? And what kind of dish was he putting up? And good for you supporting the BEST team in the NFL. Since I now have helped you change teams on to the next one....

Old 10-19-2006, 12:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,817,991 times
Quote:
Well I couldn't get it because of lack of a southern exposure. Plus the directv guy freaked out about violating the HOA, and possibly ripping off the side of my house . Either case, bummer, no NFL Sunday Ticket...oh well I've been forced to watch more Panther's games as result
I just had DirectTv installed last week. I had adelphia which is in process of being taken over by Time Warner. My Adelphia bill with all the channels, 1 dvr and internet was up to about $190 per month and the picture quality and channel selection is bad. Waited over 90 minutes on hold when they accidentally shut me off a couple of weeks ago. PPV's are pretty much non-existant unless you want to watch Nascar every weekend.

So far we like DirectTv, much better value than cable and more channels. There's still nothing on though With DirectTV we got 2 dvrs and 4 additional boxes in the bedrooms for about $100 a month.

I still use cable for internet access though but thinking of switching to dsl.

But anyway, I believe there is an FCC ruling that states that no HOA can refuse a satellite installation based on what the current communication laws are. I could be wrong though, I only read a small blurb about it. I called our HOA and we only needed a letter from directtv if the dish couldn't be put on the back of the house somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina