U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:18 AM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
5,821 posts, read 5,694,457 times
Reputation: 6427
Default Question for NC locals.

Does anybody really say Y'all as much as Paula Deen?
Y'all know who I'm talking about right Y'all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 AM
 
292 posts, read 224,816 times
Reputation: 146
No. It's annoying. I was born in Georgia and spent the rest of my life in NC and I can't take her accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM
 
930 posts, read 1,727,066 times
Reputation: 759
Paula Deen and the Neely's kill me with y'all. I say it, always have and always will but not as often as they do. I'm sure it's for TV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM
 
Location: North Raleigh
1,393 posts, read 1,670,508 times
Reputation: 1449
I try to use my mouth when I say it - not my nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Western NC
5,577 posts, read 5,126,907 times
Reputation: 3782
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Does anybody really say Y'all as much as Paula Deen?
Y'all know who I'm talking about right Y'all?
LOL! we were just talking about her and that phoney y'all business last night. Every other word out of her mouth is y'all and now I'm hearing all y'all.

She totally overdoes it. And her restaurant, y'all ... is a lot of hype too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C.
24,903 posts, read 16,114,554 times
Reputation: 30022
I think she comes by it naturally. Yes she is a bit overly bubbly but I doubt her accent is phoney. I would rather hear a million" ya'll's" then 1 "you guys".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
7,886 posts, read 10,187,546 times
Reputation: 7387
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnheel View Post
No. It's annoying. I was born in Georgia and spent the rest of my life in NC and I can't take her accent.
The question was not about her accent, but about the usage of "Y'all".

Yes, I use it, as it is helpful to have a word for the second-person plural. When I'm around a bunch of Northerners, sometimes I will "catch" myself, but there is no real easy way to distinguish between "You" singular and "you" plural without clarifying (I don't like "you guys"...makes me feel like a Yankee ).

Having grown up in the Triangle around folks of all geographic origins (but with very Southern parents), I don't have much of a Southern accent (unless I'm speaking strictly to other Southerners) but I do use "y'all" because, again, it's useful to have a second-person plural. Not using it would be as awkward as not using "we" or "they".

PS--I agree that she likely "slathers it on thick" on TV as that is her "schtick". The more 'Southern' she sounds, the more 'authority' she will appear to have, especially to non-Southerners (many who already consider us something of an alien species). I'm sure she has a strong Southern accent and uses that pronoun in her daily life when you catch her off camera, but anyone with a "stage persona" is going to subconsciously (or consciously) "turn it on" with the cameras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,337 posts, read 17,278,716 times
Reputation: 6002
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Does anybody really say Y'all as much as Paula Deen?
Y'all know who I'm talking about right Y'all?
NO. Paula Deen overdoes it. And she overdoes it, annoyingly!

I turn off the sound when her commercial comes on but I do wonder where she gets her teeth whitened!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM
PDD PDD started this thread
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
5,821 posts, read 5,694,457 times
Reputation: 6427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
The question was not about her accent, but about the usage of "Y'all".

Yes, I use it, as it is helpful to have a word for the second-person plural. When I'm around a bunch of Northerners, sometimes I will "catch" myself, but there is no real easy way to distinguish between "You" singular and "you" plural without clarifying (I don't like "you guys"...makes me feel like a Yankee ).

Having grown up in the Triangle around folks of all geographic origins (but with very Southern parents), I don't have much of a Southern accent (unless I'm speaking strictly to other Southerners) but I do use "y'all" because, again, it's useful to have a second-person plural. Not using it would be as awkward as not using "we" or "they".

PS--I agree that she likely "slathers it on thick" on TV as that is her "schtick". The more 'Southern' she sounds, the more 'authority' she will appear to have, especially to non-Southerners (many who already consider us something of an alien species). I'm sure she has a strong Southern accent and uses that pronoun in her daily life when you catch her off camera, but anyone with a "stage persona" is going to subconsciously (or consciously) "turn it on" with the cameras.
Just a little correction here, It's yous guys not you guys.
By the way how you doin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-01-2011, 02:44 PM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
3,537 posts, read 4,170,377 times
Reputation: 3826
That fat pig and here annoying use of "y'all" makes me sick.

I use y'all when appropriate, it is simply not appropriate every other sentence!

lln
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:29 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top