U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:26 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,499,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I understand exactly what you are saying. My parents moved us from Michigan to Cherry Hill, NJ when I was 13, in 1964. In 1964 it had a few housing developments, a couple of shopping centers, a mall, no downtown, & the rest of the township was farms & orchards. Over the years the farms were sold & sprouted into more housing develpments, apartments, condos & shopping centers. Now there's about 80K people, & the roads are packed. I can only imagine the shock & horror of natives here who see these changes in 10 or 20 years.

I currently live in Kings Mountain, 30 miles west of Charlotte. It's like Cherry Hill was in 1964. I don't want Kings Mountain to turn into present-day Cherry Hill, but because of the collapse of the mills, I know that there will be some change as businesses are brought in.
That's a scary though but its true, I'm only 24 and seen even this happend in suburban jersey, I remember when u could buy a nice house for 100,000. Now in jersey we have all these big boarded up homes with weeds growing and homeless people in every city. NC is doomed, the natives there better surrender and flee to a better land while they can, like Tennessee. And just think soon the bloodlines are gonna have northern values in them and all the bad traits will be passed down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:35 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,499,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayoutNJ View Post
I hope they are paying. I see so many license plates from New Jersey. Either they are driving and clogging the roads without paying their fair share, or so many are moving down I keep seeing new ones. You know, like cockroaches, if you see one, their are millions more
U don't think its good that people are investing in NC? Its very beautiful especially around mount mitchell, I'm saving for a few acres, I'm hoping to get all my close relatives to join me once they finish college. We can start a spring water bottling company. nah i'm kidding.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 AM

656 posts, read 977,802 times
I wonder what the native people would have thought when they saw their land invaded centuries ago!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,308,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
I wonder what the native people would have thought when they saw their land invaded centuries ago!!!

Finally someone speaks the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:38 AM

145 posts, read 291,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrebel View Post
I really am afraid of that happening, With North Carolina becoming one of the most fastest growing states in the US, this would be terrible for North Carolina to become Florida or jersey/new york.

As a native, This is shocking to me.. North Carolina is a beautiful state and i don't want it to be ruined by all the these northerners moving down here and building big suburbs and huge cities.

These yankees don't understand what they are doing to our state by moving down here, they are transforming us into what they were trying to get away from.

I know i will get negative feedback because most the people on this forum and people moving here, but i think i speak for most natives on this issue.

It's not just NC. It's the "pure" southern states as well. When my parents divorced and my mom, Sister & I moved to Atlanta (From New York), The three Bedroom apartment we were living in was only $485 a month. 15 years later the same apartment is now going for $800. I was living in GA before the Olympics. I can honestly say the "summer Games" coming to GA literally put the state on the map. I miss the old quiet, cheap Georgia.

Sad that it'll never be like that again.

I share your concerns, but what you forgot as a native southerner is that when you come from a hell hole state like NY, you can't get "the city" out of your system. That's why so many Northern's complain about the south yet they have a massive home (down south) that's 75% cheaper than a small house up north. I baffles my mind. I don't complain because I'm trying desperately to move back down South (yes I'm back in NY).

I heard Kansas & Colorado has been booming for the past 3 years. Every state/region has it's chance. It's just a part of life, the new comers come in and don't appreciate things vs. the ones who have been there for years.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
Goodness gracious. This thread made Yankees' sound like a plague. Swarms of rude, loud mouthed, know-it-all Yankees, jumping from one unwitting town to the next devouring brains and infecting the locals. No one wont's y'all, git!!

Seriously though, you can't blame people for not liking it when tons of people who are very different move in and change everything about their hometown. No one blames the native of Hawaii for feeling that way. But the South Carolinians are just told to "move if you don't like it" or to "just surrender". That's part of the reason Southerners don't like Yankees. Just adapt more to the region you are entering. It's not about the civil war, dear God.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:55 PM

34,561 posts, read 28,945,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa_minor View Post
Goodness gracious. This thread made Yankees' sound like a plague. Swarms of rude, loud mouthed, know-it-all Yankees, jumping from one unwitting town to the next devouring brains and infecting the locals. No one wont's y'all, git!!

Seriously though, you can't blame people for not liking it when tons of people who are very different move in and change everything about their hometown. No one blames the native of Hawaii for feeling that way. But the South Carolinians are just told to "move if you don't like it" or to "just surrender". That's part of the reason Southerners don't like Yankees. Just adapt more to the region you are entering. It's not about the civil war, dear God.
Yup. That about covers it.

It's not like anyone from here is gonna move to the middle of NYC and demand that they close all the delis and replace them with southern-style diners.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM

30 posts, read 74,643 times
Quote:
Probably "Holy ****!"

Doesn't make a difference. Just because a culture in another situation got hoodwinked doesn't make me apathetic to what's going on. If every time somebody took issue with a sucky situation, heard an analogy to it, and decided that since it happened somewhere before then it's A-ok to happen again, it'd be a more screwy world than it is.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM

5 posts, read 5,434 times
Default Northerners moving South

I wonder how the Lumbee, Croatan, Creeks and Tuskuara ( sp ? ) of North Carolina felt almost 400 years / 5 centurys ago when those friendly Brits moved in and took over..... FOR THE RECORD, I dont have any Native AM blood but I can just imagine their pain......

Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM

12,304 posts, read 10,756,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, if I misread her, I do agree with the sentiment. If you move here from someplace else, and this place doesn't suit you, I95 is pretty easy to find.
Why does it seem like everyone who complains about the transplants say this about I-95? even people in Charlotte say it! I-95 is not close to Charlotte. And many people who have relocated to the South did NOT take I-95 to get here! I know I didn't. I didn't live anywhere near it. My family refers to it as the road to hell because of the ridiculous amounts of traffic around DC and that it felt like we were driving for days when we went to Disney in the 80's. A Stucky's every 15 feet and a crazy billboard for South of the Border every 8 inches. You go to both and shake your head wondering WTF? I wonder if there's still a rock hard Stucky's pecan log roll hanging out in a closet in my parent's house.

Change is inevitable. Sorry, but not every single transplant complains about every thing back home and how horrible things are where they've relocated. To read this forum, you'd swear every single person who moved here since 1865 is nothing but a rotten human and how dare they invade our turf.

Yet many of the reasons people have relocated was because of things Southerners themselves created. That MASSIVE research park in Raleigh/Durham certainly doesn't keep folks away! Making Charlotte the #2 for the banking industry didn't keep people away especially since BoA buys up everything that stands still for 10 seconds. If NC wanted to keep folks out the mountains and coastal areas, they shouldn't have built tons of roads. Of course that would draw tourism which draws in the almighty $. Tourism also brings people who are nearing retiring age or have retired and want a something different in life now. If you couldn't golf most of the year, you'd send lots of folks packing as well.

The various governments in NC have to approve all of these new housing developments. Be mad at them if you're so upset over the influx of people! It probably won't do you much good. All they see is $$$$$$.

Population in the US in general is increasing. Only one state - Michigan - had a decrease in population in the 2010 Census. New York would have had a decrease, but because of immigrants from foreign countries it had an increase. You think having legal US residents relocate to your state is bad? What about the thousands of legal residents who move to the US who don't speak English? What about the thousands and thousands of illegal immigrants? I live in SC and I swear the only legal folks who built my house were the guys who did the siding and the trim work. No one else spoke a word of English and had NO interest in learning any. Why do people seem so much less upset with these people than the transplants?

Change happens. It's part of life. You don't have to like it, but chances are you'd be happier in life if you found a way to deal with it. Lots of people live in areas that have been invaded and taken over by people not from the area. I grew up in the middle of nowhere surrounded by farms. Not a single farm is left near my parents house. It's all overpriced housing developments now. There's even traffic lights now!

I spent my summers in the Adirondacks in a specific area with my grandparents. When I was a teenager, that area was all over the media across the country because of a girl who was kidnapped and supposedly buried there. I don't remember them ever finding that poor girl, but by next summer people from downstate and out of the state were buying and building like you wouldn't believe. The prices were driven up literally overnight. And today - 20 years later - it's not the same place. Due to state regulations, construction is VERY restricted so Walmart and Walgreens can't pop up on every corner.

It is different, but I still love to go up there. I have AMAZING family memories and try very hard to hold onto them. My grandfather is gone and I followed him around and wanted to do everything to be his little helper. From helping stack wood to rounding up the little cousins when it was time to go to the beach and make they had their toys, it was all a great time. Life has certainly gotten much more complicated since I was 12, but I wouldn't trade those memories for anything!

Quote:
Surely they're thoughts were something like this @#&% who these folks? what the $%@# are they doing here? Go the &*%$ back home. Funny thing is they didn't leave! So just as much as Southerners hate the Yankees for moving in, Southerners have ancestors who did the same thing except it was a lot bloodier and lots of folks died. At least, we're all a little more civilized...well except for that guy on another post who gets insulted when people smile at him....talk about having issues! Wowzers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina