U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 PM

8,101 posts, read 4,968,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Huh?

I just don't wanna live in a remake of Jersey Shore.
Being that 95% of that cast isn't even from NJ they are mostly from Long Island...I wouldn't worry about that happening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post

Even in NJ, that is frowned upon.
Exactly, this is the problem with people who simply have not experienced the world outside of their television/computer..

NJ is nothing like Jersey Shore portrays and the consensus truly despises the show because of how it shapes people's perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 03:48 AM

164 posts, read 311,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Exactly, this is the problem with people who simply have not experienced the world outside of their television/computer..
Oh so true. I have relocated and lived so many different places. This is the strangest state as far as being open to new experiences. Many are afraid of learning new things and ways of life. Again, I have found a great group of forward thinking folks here, but many are like people on this board.

What a sad, short life to only want to live the way you have lived for decades. To only see new things on the television and curl up into a ball and say "We will stay the same. Always! No changes in NC for us! No outsiders with new ideas should move here!"

Old 05-19-2011, 10:15 AM

34,493 posts, read 28,697,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Being that 95% of that cast isn't even from NJ they are mostly from Long Island...I wouldn't worry about that happening...

NJ is nothing like Jersey Shore portrays and the consensus truly despises the show because of how it shapes people's perception.

I was being extreme. I've been to New Jersey. Several times.

Was just up there a couple months ago, actually.

I like a good number of people from Jersey. My company has offices in Philly, and I have teams I work with up there.... some of them live in ... Jersey!

So, I was being colorful, but the gist is that I don't want NC to become Little Jersey, no matter how pleasant many of the good people of the state may be.

I like NC being NC.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:16 AM

34,493 posts, read 28,697,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Oh so true. I have relocated and lived so many different places. This is the strangest state as far as being open to new experiences. Many are afraid of learning new things and ways of life. Again, I have found a great group of forward thinking folks here, but many are like people on this board.

What a sad, short life to only want to live the way you have lived for decades. To only see new things on the television and curl up into a ball and say "We will stay the same. Always! No changes in NC for us! No outsiders with new ideas should move here!"

I like change. I just don't like change for the sake of change. Why fix what isn't broken?

Old 05-19-2011, 12:58 PM

10,389 posts, read 19,310,656 times
Quote:
Quote:
I just don't wanna live in a remake of Jersey Shore.

Actually, if there is one place other than NJ that is sending the biggest swarms of transplants to NC, it is Long Island... I seem to recall noting that Nassau and Sufflolk were the two counties that relocated the most people to NC in that 2008 "Where people are moving" map. So becoming "Long Island South" is probably no more attractive to native NC'ians than becoming "NJ South"

Quote:
I don't recall anyone saying that--but the irony is that so many New Yorkers/New Jerseyans are the ones who move HERE and then incessantly complain that things are different from what they are used to, whether it's pizza or snow removal equipment or school assignments or what! Where is their "openness to new ideas"? Why move to somewhere you know is going to be different, only to wake up in the morning every day complaining about everything that's not precisely like it was "back home"? Frankly, probably most of the hostility the natives have towards transplants is this very scenario, and why everyone who's lived here a few years soon learns the "if you don't like it, you can go back" retort. I suspect you would be similarly insulted if thousands upon thousands of folks from somewhere else descended on the place you grew up and mostly did nothing but (loudly) badmouth the way you talked, the food you ate, and complained that you didn't have X, Y, or Z that they had where they came from and therefore you were clearly less evolved (or whatever).

Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 AM

4,677 posts, read 8,014,654 times
This thread is actually kind of funny. I find it funny how northerners who move here complain about what we don't have, we tell them get over it and accept what's down here, and now we're told we southerners are wrong. Lol. Now that's funny. I actually welcome the growth and I think Charlotte among other NC towns are doing a good job of handling the growth. And when you think about it, it's only Charlotte and Raleigh that are expriencing break neck speed growth. If you don't live in any of these areas, probabl not too much has changed.

But I like the growth Charlotte and Raleigh are experiencing and I think both cities still retain much of their Southern heritage as they do so. I think that goes to show that Southern doesn't equate to backwoods, even though we can still git er done.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:51 AM

144 posts, read 289,805 times
Being from NY I can understand why they complain. But after falling in love with teh south and spending 15 years of my life there. I defend it violently against northern close minded-ness. But at the same time I take the time to educated non northerners what's really going on in the northeast.

1. There was to many hills.
but after a while I loved concrete surfing with my friends while it rained. And Georgia rains a lot.

2. It's because NY/northern people are so use to working like slaves that they can't accept a slower pace of life. Believe this or not, in the Northeast if you DARE leave to go somewhere on vacation, they will fire you and have your replacement doing your job within 3 hours. This is why northerners rarely take vacations.

3.The constant unstable weather.
It's because NY'ers like knowing the weather because most people have to wait on the bus or for a ride. So they like to dress accordingly.

4. The driving. My personal favorite complaint.
In NY you don't have room to sneeze. When my NY cousins visit the talk about how fast people in ATL drive. When they go visit my FLA cosuins, they compalin about how fast FLA people drive.

That's because in NY there's no room do do anything over 35mph. most of teh roads are just 2 lanes with no DEDICATED turing lane. But down south it's a totally different story. I personally miss having my heavy right foot. I miss doing 80 with the windows down, blasting my Rick James and everybody else around me doing the same. But up here in NY, the most I can do is 50 and then I have to stop for a light. It's not the same.

This is why NY'ers complain (well some of the reasons). I hope I was able to shed some light.

On another note I'll be in Raleigh (my future home) this july and I can't wait. By January I hope to move there and start working (once this stupid transfer stuff is settled) and in June 2012, my family will be back with me.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM

Thank you for your explanations, takealready...but I actually have NEVER heard someone complain about the hills or the unpredictable weather. Mostly it is the ever-present PIZZA griping, followed up by the snow-removal griping in the winter ("Whoyyyy don't you have 10 times the number of snow trucks you do, like we do, so your road is plowed instantly after a snow??"). Interestingly, most of those folks moved here to get away from high taxes, yet what do they think pays for things like snow trucks? Ya move to a lower-tax area, you're gonna get less in govt services. Especially for something like snow that is a rare occasion here.

It's the folks who move here thinking/expecting it to be exactly like where they left behind, but with better weather and lower taxes, who are the biggest complainers. Very rarely in life is a new change going to be 100% for the positive in every conceivable way, yet some who've "drunk the Kool-Aid" clearly expect this when moving to NC from the NE.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:20 PM

144 posts, read 289,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Thank you for your explanations, takealready...but I actually have NEVER heard someone complain about the hills or the unpredictable weather. Mostly it is the ever-present PIZZA griping, followed up by the snow-removal griping in the winter ("Whoyyyy don't you have 10 times the number of snow trucks you do, like we do, so your road is plowed instantly after a snow??"). Interestingly, most of those folks moved here to get away from high taxes, yet what do they think pays for things like snow trucks? Ya move to a lower-tax area, you're gonna get less in govt services. Especially for something like snow that is a rare occasion here.

It's the folks who move here thinking/expecting it to be exactly like where they left behind, but with better weather and lower taxes, who are the biggest complainers. Very rarely in life is a new change going to be 100% for the positive in every conceivable way, yet some who've "drunk the Kool-Aid" clearly expect this when moving to NC from the NE.

Thank you for your explination. Now would you be able to anser a question that nobody seems to want to speak about. What's the issue with Cary? I'vev seen people say

"Oh it's not like Cary..." or "Yeah that's Cary for ya" or "Oh come on, at least it's betterthan Cary".

Old 05-23-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
Thank you for your explination. Now would you be able to anser a question that nobody seems to want to speak about. What's the issue with Cary? I'vev seen people say

"Oh it's not like Cary..." or "Yeah that's Cary for ya" or "Oh come on, at least it's betterthan Cary".
Cary has a reputation (i.e. stereotype) of being very "Stepford"-ish and also one of being nothing but Northeastern transplants. I don't know which "reputation" you have heard The saying around here for many years has been that CARY stands for "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees", because it is high on the list of destinations for those moving in from up there. But the other stereotype is that everything is Cary is so cookie-cutter, dictated by Homeowners' Associations, and so regulated that they do everything short of telling you which way to wipe your butt. A lot of this came about in the 1990s when certain things did start getting overregulated (sign ordinances, mailbox requirements, etc) that the surrounding towns/cities looked at with bemusement, and of course once somewhere has a "reputation" for something, it takes a long time before it is shaken. In truth, Cary is exactly what many are looking for--since it is so predominately suburban and new, there can indeed be a "Stepford" feel to some of the neighborhoods (or if you're even seen the cable show "Weeds", think of the theme song "Little Boxes"), however, for those raising families, I can see how this is very safe, predicatable, and secure. But it IS kind of boring for young childless people who like to go to funky nightclubs or such...they go to Raleigh or Durham for that. I guess you could compare it, in NYC, to "moving to Connecticut"?

So...I suspect this is usually what people mean when they take digs at Cary, or more specifically, Cary's "reputation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina