Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:18 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Well it's already that way somewhat, just like it is for many other states. But I think it's a good thing that the divide won't be geographical like it is in Florida. That ensures there's more or less of a political balance throughout the state since NC's urban/rural population is kind of evenly distributed throughout.
Yes, NC is far from the only state with a rural/urban divide. Think of Georgia vs Atlanta; Illinois vs Chicago; and especially Nevada vs Las Vegas. For that matter, Washington vs. the Puget Sound region or even update NY vs. NYC/LI. NC's geography does help the "urban crescent" from Raleigh to Charlotte remain a little more integrated with the (by and large) rural rest of the state).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,538,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
People are free to move where they please. If you don't like what is happening to NC, either deal with it or move.
Francois you are so right its insane...and what's even worse is all of those red drops like the one quoted above then ridicule people who choose to stay in the red bucket (or, even move back from the yellow bucket) because it is home....they talk crap about how much better the weather, the taxes, political climate, and and everything else is in the yellow/orange bucket and feel a sense of superiority to those still in the red bucket. I don't remember if you were a regular poster on here back in the early days of this forum, which were coincidentally the last days of the housing boom when EVERYONE on this forum was a prospective transplant from Long Island, Massachusetts, New Jersey, or Florida who through a hissy fit if ANYBODY questioned their decision to move to NC for a bigger house and supposedly easier lifestyle. I made this same kind of predictions and points of view that you make now about how NC would soon become the next Florida or LI/NJ and got blasted and labeled a troll in DM's and on the boards. It was unbelievable.

This is of course not to say that all transplants are this way, there are plenty of zthatzmanz out there too, especially on the post-transplant wave city-data forum.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 AM

7,974 posts, read 10,545,212 times
yes

Old 01-19-2011, 04:35 PM

240 posts, read 557,349 times
Is North Carolina becoming the next Florida? (transplants, house)

I am afraid that it is. Like Florida (and most of the Southeast region), a rather high number of people from the Midwest and especially Northeast (and California) have moved here and have ''brought it with them'' as they say. Occasionally, you have people saying things like: ''it's becoming like New York/California.'' I have been to both of those places. I see more similarities to NY(C) but only attitude wise. Many argue about the cost of living here, but after doing research, I don't find it any cheaper than it would be anywhere else in the country (unless you compare it to places like: CA, IL, NY, NJ, MA, MD, DC, etc.)

I would say that NC was a little better 2 decades ago, but with all the growth the state has seen since then (and the population boom it experienced in the mid 90's) most of NC has seen a big change in most of the state. I tend to side more with what the natives say about the people moving in b/c even I am getting tired of it (and I am not originally from NC.) These are only my opinions on the matter, and they are not intended to start a war.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM

240 posts, read 557,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrebel View Post
Yeah and with more and more of you moving to the country, the country becomes a suburban and is less country...

You get what i'm sayin?
I strongly agree. A lot of the countryside in NC is practically gone Whatever you see left is close by to some ''urban'' area and doesn't have that rural feel to it.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,276,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
I strongly agree. A lot of the countryside in NC is practically gone Whatever you see left is close by to some ''urban'' area and doesn't have that rural feel to it.
This only true in a few pockets. I can name a bunch of counties from the mountains, foothills, piedmont and coastal plain that are predominantly rural where the native North Carolinians are still in majority.

Where I live in western Lincoln County there is one Dollar General and one stop light and it takes 15 minutes before your in a town that has urban amenities; Nothing but farmland. The only urban I see is 18 wheelers picking up crops that have been harvest.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:05 PM

3,069 posts, read 8,866,908 times
I drove in ahuge circle today from Goldsboro, to Raleigh, to Greenville, to Kinston to Goldsboro. I saw way more country than I did city.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:08 PM

257 posts, read 607,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrebel View Post
I really am afraid of that happening, With North Carolina becoming one of the most fastest growing states in the US, this would be terrible for North Carolina to become Florida or jersey/new york.

As a native, This is shocking to me.. North Carolina is a beautiful state and i don't want it to be ruined by all the these northerners moving down here and building big suburbs and huge cities.

These yankees don't understand what they are doing to our state by moving down here, they are transforming us into what they were trying to get away from.

I know i will get negative feedback because most the people on this forum and people moving here, but i think i speak for most natives on this issue.
I am a young yankee and I live in Connecticut. I don't like the lifestyle up here and I have been visiting the south with my family for years and I love it. Before I ever knew about how over run the south is becoming with us yankees, I always wanted to move down and live out in the country close to a self contained town or small city that I can find a blue collar job in. I never would want to live on less then a few acres in those stuck together homes with the real manicured landscaping and lawns.....not that I don't think thats nice, I just want to be laid back. Maybe it doesn't really matter, but I don't think I would be a typical transplant. I would try to avoid the big metro areas and buy an existing home on a big lot, not in a sub division. I also would like to say I have many of the same interests as southerners, and even some of the traits.

Hopefully when I do relocate, I will fit in pretty darn good and won't PO any of you real southerners.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,728,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
Not just yet--we'll see, once the official Census data is out, but in 2000, only something like 17 of the 100 counties were classified as "Urban", which means population density of > 200/sq mile. So that means 83 were still classified "rural". In 2010, there will be a few more "urban" ones, but still, at least 3/4 of NC's counties are "rural", by official definition, anyway.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 AM

9 posts, read 47,709 times
It's funny reading the comments from people, like the one about N.C. being ruined by people moving from the North. I'm sure the real natives felt the same way when the ancestors of you current "natives" moved to NC hundreds of years ago. Face it. The United States has become much more mobile in the past 30 years with many people moving all across the country instead of generations of families staying in one state. I'm one person planning on moving to N.C. from Florida but don't feel so bad, I won't try to change your state. It could be worse. You could be living here in S. Florida where you no longer feel like your living in America. Here, we call it North Cuba and are just looking to move to a place where people still speak English and have good traditional family values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina