U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 09:52 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,299,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrebel View Post
but i think i speak for most natives on this issue.

No, You're not speaking on behalf of me at least.

If you want to live in Rural NC, there is no problem finding rural places to live in NC.... at all.

I like to live in quite places in a rural setting but I also love big cities. I love the growth Charlotte is experiencing and I am excited to see Charlotte bloom into a mature, economic engine, large City.

If you want to live in a Rural setting, then live in one. It's not hard to find in NC. At all.

Edit; And as far as transplants go. I love expats of every place. Isn't the USA all about people from all backgrounds coming together forming a society of new traditions while retaining their own family/cultural/religious/regional customs? I'm glad people think NC is a great place to live. It is, and it only gets better and better. Enjoy what transplants have to offer. They might introduce you to a food or a nifty trick you've never heard of that you might like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 AM

164 posts, read 312,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayCharlotteGuy View Post

Edit; And as far as transplants go. I love expats of every place. Isn't the USA all about people from all backgrounds coming together forming a society of new traditions while retaining their own family/cultural/religious/regional customs? I'm glad people think NC is a great place to live. It is, and it only gets better and better. Enjoy what transplants have to offer. They might introduce you to a food or a nifty trick you've never heard of that you might like.

The issue is, even if you talk about a food or activity or something new, some (not all) natives get their guard up. Like "I don't need to know about anything new. Go back to your old town if you want to dare introduce me to something I never heard of". It is so weird to me. I lived in NYC for a long period of time, and I learned so many new things there. I loved it

It baffles me that many people in the south don't want to hear or try anything new. Some people just don't like to learn

GayCharlotteGuy--You seem educated. I appreciate your opinions. Thank you!

Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 AM

And, for the record, I now live in NC and I LOVE all of the new things I have learned here. And when I relocate again, I will share what I learned here with others in my new state. That is what people should do It makes life interesting.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:20 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,414,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
The issue is, even if you talk about a food or activity or something new, some (not all) natives get their guard up. Like "I don't need to know about anything new. Go back to your old town if you want to dare introduce me to something I never heard of". It is so weird to me. I lived in NYC for a long period of time, and I learned so many new things there. I loved it

It baffles me that many people in the south don't want to hear or try anything new. Some people just don't like to learn
No, it's all a matter of attitude. If you say "Hey, come over to my house sometime and I'll cook you this dish we eat back home, I bet you'll love it", people (natives) would be intrigued and excited about trying it. But if you say "What's wrong with you people!? You really don't have ____ like we do back home? What kind of backwoods place is this?????" the response will be very different. And don't pretend there aren't those with the latter attitude--we encounter them frequently.

"Offering to share something new" vs "griping that something isn't here" are two very different attitudes.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:36 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,899,704 times
Just returned from Florida (Daytona area) and IF NC evers becomes like Florida, it will indeed be a sad day...

Old 03-15-2011, 10:17 AM

10,821 posts, read 15,122,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
No, it's all a matter of attitude. If you say "Hey, come over to my house sometime and I'll cook you this dish we eat back home, I bet you'll love it", people (natives) would be intrigued and excited about trying it. But if you say "What's wrong with you people!? You really don't have ____ like we do back home? What kind of backwoods place is this?????" the response will be very different. And don't pretend there aren't those with the latter attitude--we encounter them frequently.

"Offering to share something new" vs "griping that something isn't here" are two very different attitudes.

Aren't you the big shot who said the "NC is not a dumping ground for unemployed northeasterners" ? In your world it's all about who has the "attitude" !

See your own post on that in the "Need serious help finding NC job" topic.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:26 AM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:

This is the truth. I heard those exact words many times in South Jersey before I moved here.

One of my favorites was the fine folks who told me (& anyone who was within earshot) how lousy the pizza was, because the water back home was so much better. Little did those geniuses realize it, but the water in my town came from the same reservoir. I wasn't about to waste my breath explaining it. The information was on the back of the bill.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 AM

10,401 posts, read 19,414,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Aren't you the big shot who said the "NC is not a dumping ground for unemployed northeasterners" ? In your world it's all about who has the "attitude" !
Nothing "big shot" about that; I am simply stating that there seems to be a misconception, especially in NY/NJ that if you want to get out of the NE, you MUST come to NC, job or not, knowing anything about the area or not. That's not "attitude", just wondering why other states never seem to be in consideration. Injecting thousands of unemployed people into an economy that is already shaky is not helping anybody, particularly when they are based on outdated information about NC's job market.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Nothing "big shot" about that; I am simply stating that there seems to be a misconception, especially in NY/NJ that if you want to get out of the NE, you MUST come to NC, job or not, knowing anything about the area or not. That's not "attitude", just wondering why other states never seem to be in consideration. Injecting thousands of unemployed people into an economy that is already shaky is not helping anybody, particularly when they are based on outdated information about NC's job market.
You have a bad attitude. Reading your past posts, you just hate anyone who did not exit their mother's body in NC. You are the type that looks to be offended.

Thank you to the forward thinking Southern Folks that I have found I do so love hanging out with open minded people. It is what makes me happy.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:09 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,899,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
You have a bad attitude. Reading your past posts, you just hate anyone who did not exit their mother's body in NC. You are the type that looks to be offended.

Thank you to the forward thinking Southern Folks that I have found I do so love hanging out with open minded people. It is what makes me happy.

Like most folks who have seen sprawl, some of us would hate to see another great place go to pieces because a few want to make it look like, sound like, and taste like the very place they left because it was so unacceptable..why move someplace to make it like the old place>?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina