U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 04:47 PM

240 posts, read 494,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
North Florida looks very similar to eastern NC.
\

I have noticed that. Even Orlando is very similar to NC in many ways IMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 06:49 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,780,111 times
Default already happening?

Really it is already happening. Think about what NC was like 10 years ago and what it is like today, that show you the trend and if there is nothing to stop it , it will continue.

Remember "smart growth" yea right....

Old 04-09-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Really it is already happening. Think about what NC was like 10 years ago and what it is like today, that show you the trend and if there is nothing to stop it , it will continue.

Remember "smart growth" yea right....

Hmm, 10 years ago? By 10 years ago NC was exactly the same way it is now. The only thing that has changed since then is that: A) it has grown more, and B) more people have moved in. I would say that 20-25 years ago it was better. Now, it's just a total mess.

The one thing that makes no sense about the growth in NC are are these supposed ''small towns with that urban feel to it.'' Just to say the growth was poorly planned is an understatement. Being in NC now is almost as unplesant as being in L.A. and especially NYC. The hustle and bustle in each and every NC city? It makes no sense. There is nothing ''smart'' about that.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:17 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,780,111 times
Default yep

[quote=The one thing that makes no sense about the growth in NC are are these supposed ''small towns with that urban feel to it.'' Just to say the growth was poorly planned is an understatement. Being in NC now is almost as unplesant as being in L.A. and especially NYC. The hustle and bustle in each and every NC city? It makes no sense. There is nothing ''smart'' about that.[/QUOTE]

I agree completely with this. I really laugh when the towns hold meetings about upcoming building projects.....What the residents never matters they just go on with it all the time, thats how every town has almost the same exact stores (most of which are national or even global stores putting out small business owners. I also cant believe that people really think that a bypass is more than another highway to have more stores and traffic lights line it.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I agree completely with this. I really laugh when the towns hold meetings about upcoming building projects.....What the residents never matters they just go on with it all the time, thats how every town has almost the same exact stores (most of which are national or even global stores putting out small business owners. I also cant believe that people really think that a bypass is more than another highway to have more stores and traffic lights line it.
That too (with the lousy traffic patterns and drivers who don't know how to drive.) It's like it has become common place to: run stop signs and lights, get into a lane without signaling (or turn on the blinker for 1 second and then throw yourself into a lane slowly while impeding the flow of traffic.) The list is endless. Reasons of this nature are why I am getting up to the point that I don't want to drive anymore. Roads in this day and age just aren't safe anymore. Traffic lights/signs are good (providing people follow them,) but when they run them it's probably the MOST nerve racking thing I can think of. Drivers around here are also EXTREMELY discourteous towards pedestrians but I won't get into that. If they are really in that much of a hurry then they should put speed into it. One could tell the police but what will they do? That's right... NOTHING! They, if anything, contribute to the madness. Tough actions for people who claim they are all about ''taking their time.''

Another thing I get to hear people complain/talk/rant about (and this is totally unrelated) around here is about what they don't want to do. I guess it's not for anything why NC was rated the #4 laziest state according to this one online publication. Just google/yahoo it. I would move out (like people constantly tell me to do) but it's just not possible at the moment

Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM

34,592 posts, read 28,952,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iabhornc View Post
That too (with the lousy traffic patterns and drivers who don't know how to drive.) It's like it has become common place to: run stop signs and lights, get into a lane without signaling (or turn on the blinker for 1 second and then throw yourself into a lane slowly while impeding the flow of traffic.) The list is endless. Reasons of this nature are why I am getting up to the point that I don't want to drive anymore. Roads in this day and age just aren't safe anymore. Traffic lights/signs are good (providing people follow them,) but when they run them it's probably the MOST nerve racking thing I can think of. Drivers around here are also EXTREMELY discourteous towards pedestrians but I won't get into that. If they are really in that much of a hurry then they should put speed into it. One could tell the police but what will they do? That's right... NOTHING! They, if anything, contribute to the madness. Tough actions for people who claim they are all about ''taking their time.''

Another thing I get to hear people complain/talk/rant about (and this is totally unrelated) around here is about what they don't want to do. I guess it's not for anything why NC was rated the #4 laziest state according to this one online publication. Just google/yahoo it. I would move out (like people constantly tell me to do) but it's just not possible at the moment

I don't put much stock in online ratings. That's why we have so many relos here in the first damned place.

I will say this... if the "lazy" thing is accurate? It's not just the locals that are lazy. I'd be willing to bet there are more locals than transplants that don't even regularly use the Internet to respond to such polls.

Just some food for thought. I hope you get to move to whatever Utopia you feel is so much better than here, as soon as possible.

Me? I love it here. Except for all the complainers, it's a lovely place.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:04 AM

34,592 posts, read 28,952,710 times
Quote:
A local news station also said that whole thing about NC being #4 (and Louisiana being #1.)Also, many of those complainers are also natives As for the lazy people, many of those NYers and PAans contribute too. Not surprisingly, NY and PA also made the list.
Well, there ya go... lazy locals plus lazy relos equals Lazy Capital of the US.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 PM
j1n

1,237 posts, read 4,146,035 times
Quote:
I have noticed that. Even Orlando is very similar to NC in many ways IMO
Yikes. Sorry to hear that. Orlando is a pretty terrible place.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,985 times
As someone considering moving here, you have my word I would never want to do anything to change the state in any way. Otherwise it would not be the place I wanted to move to. Believe me, I don't want it to change either, I just want to move to North Carolina and be a part of the place.

Just as much as the natives, I want this place to stay North Carolina, not become some touristy retirement home like Florida. I like it because its southern culture appeals to me. I dearly hope it stays.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:50 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,787,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
Likewise, please let us keep some trees. I really like trees.

I've yet to cut a tree down in the south. In fact, I've planted at least a dozen and plan to plant several more in the very near future. Still trying to figure out... How on earth does "tree cutting" have anything to do with northerners? Are all of the developers in Weddington northerners, or are we simply brain-washing them to do our bidding?
Tree cutting is associated with all transplants.... myself included. Transplants are the main reason that the area has grown so much in the last 20 years. And as a result of us coming here, trees have been cut down to provide services for us even if WE don't physically cut down a tree our selves.

Kudos to you for planting a least a dozen trees. Those trees will benefit you, your home value, and your community for decades to come.

One last thing: Francois is far from the "hater" that some of you make him out to be. This transplant appreciates his insight, perspective of The Triangle, and concern about keeping the Triangle a livable place for all of us that are here.... native and transplants a like.
But I don't fool myself into thinking I haven't had an environmental impact on the area. Even though I bought an existing home, trees were cut down to build more shopping centers, schools, roads, libraries, etc to meet the demand for services that all of us transplants bring with us.

While it's true some folks who want things to be the same ol' same ol' might be bigoted, I think the majority of native NC residents who have a problem with change either fear there will be no place for them or their families when all the dust settles or they just miss how things use to be. Many towns in NC are loosing their culture, traditions, and the threads that use to bind the fabrics of their towns. That's a scary thing no matter what state you live in.
And just because the same thing happened in X town in X Northern or Western or MidWestern state, does not comfort a person when they see what has given them comfort all their lives be bulldozed or changed right in front of them.

But on the flip side, growth is going to happen in a lot of these little towns even if it hasn't already happened. In the little town my husband is from, the natives don't want growth, they just want all the non-natives to leave. And they put their heads in the sand while major changes happen around them because they are unincorporated. Instead, they need to wake up, form a township government and set their own zoning laws. Take control of their own destinies instead of complaining before they become the next Miami.

One last thing: Francois is far from the "hater" that some of you make him out to be. This transplant appreciates his insight, perspective and concern about keeping this area as a livable place for all of us.... natives and transplants a like.

Last edited by PDXmom; 04-17-2011 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: one last thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina