Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 11,422 times

Advertisements

I really am afraid of that happening, With North Carolina becoming one of the most fastest growing states in the US, this would be terrible for North Carolina to become Florida or jersey/new york.

As a native, This is shocking to me.. North Carolina is a beautiful state and i don't want it to be ruined by all the these northerners moving down here and building big suburbs and huge cities.

These yankees don't understand what they are doing to our state by moving down here, they are transforming us into what they were trying to get away from.

I know i will get negative feedback because most the people on this forum and people moving here, but i think i speak for most natives on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
As more folks move in with $$, more land is sold for bigger $. Suddenly there is less and less farms, and more and more gated communities. I understand the temptation for the farmers / land owners to sell BIG. But there needs to be more land trusts that have the means to buy LARGE sections of land at a fair price and preserve it before NC becomes a subdivision state with 4,000 sq ft lots and millions of 1200 sq ft homes built in a grid pattern.

I do not think it is the people moving here per se, but the developers building cookie cutter communities that are identical to homes they left and recreating a place that was bad enough to LEAVE. Population growth is good, watering down a culture is akin to civilized genocide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCrebel View Post
As a native, This is shocking to me.. North Carolina is a beautiful state and i don't want it to be ruined by all the these northerners moving down here and building big suburbs and huge cities.

These yankees don't understand what they are doing to our state by moving down here, they are transforming us into what they were trying to get away from.
We are from the North Country, and moved here because it is North Carolina and NOT what we left. What surprises me is that many of the folks we have met here (both natives and transplants) are confused by where we choose to live and that we LOVE where we live. The native folks are shocked we don't want to live in a development like Flowers Plantation or Glen Laurel, and transplants are amazed we want to live in the "sticks."

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 01-04-2011 at 06:05 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
As more folks move in with $$, more land is sold for bigger $. Suddenly there is less and less farms, and more and more gated communities. I understand the temptation for the farmers / land owners to sell BIG. But there needs to be more land trusts that have the means to buy LARGE sections of land at a fair price and preserve it before NC becomes a subdivision state with 4,000 sq ft lots and millions of 1200 sq ft homes built in a grid pattern.

I do not think it is the people moving here per se, but the developers building cookie cutter communities that are identical to homes they left and recreating a place that was bad enough to LEAVE. Population growth is good, watering down a culture is akin to civilized genocide.

We are from the North Country, and moved here because it is North Carolina and NOT what we left. What surprises me is that many of the folks we have met here (both natives and transplants) are confused by where we choose to live and that we like where we live. The native folks are shocked we don't want to live in a development like Flowers Plantation or Glen Laurel, and transplants are amazed we want to live in the "sticks."
Yeah and with more and more of you moving to the country, the country becomes a suburban and is less country...

You get what i'm sayin?

Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Yeah and with more and more of you moving to the country, the country becomes a suburban and is less country...
I have met and talked to zthatzmanz28 (and Mrs. zthatzmanz28) and they are very sincere about the area and what they love about it, and are not "those types" who want to move somewhere cheap, then promptly turn it into the very thing they left (and invite everyone they knew from "back home" to move down, further destroying the home atmosphere). All transplants should be like them.

However, yes, I do fear frequently that since many consider FL to be "ruined" by overzealous growth and people who don't appreciate thet area, and instead just complain about everything that's different from where they chose to leave and move here. Now this trend has caused people to leave Florida, as well, and somehow NC has gotten in the crosshairs, so in some cases, the same foils who "ruined" Florida are showing up to "put their special mark" on North Carolina as well.

Unfortunately, people tend not to compare and area with how it used to be, but with how the place they moved from was. So, even if a certain area may have, to locals, lost 75% of the charm, character, and niceties of whata it was like 20 years ago, it's still a good thing for someone who arrives from somewhere "even worse". And in the meantime, of course, their moving here pushes it even father in that direction. Take the traffic issue. NC used to have far less traffic than many "transplant magmet" areas do now, but complain about it and you will hear "it's NOTHING compared to Long Island/New Jersey/wherever they came from." Of course, locals cound't care less what traffic is like in those places, but to the transplants, it's an improvement (though ironically adding to the very traffic they claim is "nothing" :-/ )

It is kind of like two buckets of paint. Imagine that Yellow is "good" and Red is "bad". A drop of red paint find its way to the yellow bucket and thinks "Wow, this is great!" that one drop doesn't affect the rest of the yellow drops much, so all are happy. Then Red Drop tells his friends back in Red Bucket that they all need to come to Yellow Bucket right away! More red drops arrive, still having negligible effect overall. But soon, more and more and more Red Drops arrive, and suddenly Yellow Bucket is a little but Orange, which is noticeably inferior to the Yellow Drops than what they had before. But compared to Red Bucket, it's still a great deal, and they continue to implore their fellow Red drops to move to Yellow Bucket just as fast as they can. It gets Orangers and Oranger, but if a Yellow Drop dares to suggest that things were better a little while ago, where there weren't so many Reds there, the response is an indignant "Are you KIDDING? This Orange is SO MUCH BETTER than the Red we used to have! In fact, I've just invited everyone on my old street in red Bucket to get the heck out of there and come here as fast as they can!"

Oranger and Oranger. Always a good deal with the Reds, by definition, but the Yellows see their formerly nice, yellow home becoming more and more Red. And one day, when it starts to tip more toward Red than Orange "(but ti's still better than Sold Red! Here we come, whee!!"), soon those Orange drops now start to seek out yet another bucket, as they realize "it's not quite the nice place we thought it was, for some reason. Sure seems awfully Red here."

And they move to another Yellow bucket...

Last edited by Francois; 01-04-2011 at 10:18 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 11:11 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
North Carolina will likely end up like Florida, and by that I mean being a very divided state politically and culturally. I live on the AL/FL state line, and I can tell you that northern Florida is still very "old South" (similar to eastern NC), it's the south end of the state that has been changed drastically. The northern end of the state is conservative and the southern end is liberal, and it's a battle between the two every election year. NC will likely end up the same way, with a deep divide between the cities and the more rural counties.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
Quote:
I really am afraid of that happening, With North Carolina becoming one of the most fastest growing states in the US, this would be terrible for North Carolina to become Florida or jersey/new york.

I know i will get negative feedback because most the people on this forum and people moving here, but i think i speak for most natives on this issue.
People are free to move where they please. If you don't like what is happening to NC, either deal with it or move.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
People are free to move where they please. If you don't like what is happening to NC, either deal with it or move.
Moderator cut: mod cut

You're telling me to move? My family has lived in North Carolina for over 200 years, if anything you need to move.

I believe i have the right to express my opinion as a native North Carolinian and not get responses like "Deal with it or move"

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-05-2011 at 03:09 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 05:27 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:

You get what i'm sayin?

So by moving into an old farm house we have made the country more suburban?

By supporting local farm markets, we have made it more suburban?

Frankly Scarlet, I don't get what yer sayin...

Old 01-06-2011, 05:56 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: mod cut

You're telling me to move? My family has lived in North Carolina for over 200 years, if anything you need to move.

I believe i have the right to express my opinion as a native North Carolinian and not get responses like "Deal with it or move"
You do have the right to express yourself. You can either accept the reality of NC today or move somewhere else.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:52 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
North Carolina will likely end up like Florida, and by that I mean being a very divided state politically and culturally. I live on the AL/FL state line, and I can tell you that northern Florida is still very "old South" (similar to eastern NC), it's the south end of the state that has been changed drastically. The northern end of the state is conservative and the southern end is liberal, and it's a battle between the two every election year. NC will likely end up the same way, with a deep divide between the cities and the more rural counties.
Well it's already that way somewhat, just like it is for many other states. But I think it's a good thing that the divide won't be geographical like it is in Florida. That ensures there's more or less of a political balance throughout the state since NC's urban/rural population is kind of evenly distributed throughout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina