Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:43 AM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I understand exactly what you are saying. My parents moved us from Michigan to Cherry Hill, NJ when I was 13, in 1964. In 1964 it had a few housing developments, a couple of shopping centers, a mall, no downtown, & the rest of the township was farms & orchards. Over the years the farms were sold & sprouted into more housing develpments, apartments, condos & shopping centers. Now there's about 80K people, & the roads are packed. I can only imagine the shock & horror of natives here who see these changes in 10 or 20 years.

I currently live in Kings Mountain, 30 miles west of Charlotte. It's like Cherry Hill was in 1964. I don't want Kings Mountain to turn into present-day Cherry Hill, but because of the collapse of the mills, I know that there will be some change as businesses are brought in.

My cousin's fiance is from Kings Mountain. I heard it's very nice there. I only drive through on my way to ATL, but I might have to make a pit stop there sometime in the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
I too grew up in an area of NJ that was an escape from the chaos of Northern NJ. Slowly, people figured out that they could get more house and live a quieter lifestyle 45 miles south of Manhattan. Now, the town has exploded and the benefit of a quieter lifestyle is gone. There are those that were willing to have a longer commute to live that lifestyle and must now be disappointed in their decision.
What happened is that when our town began getting overcrowded, newer, more rural areas began being developed. These, like here, were places that nobody thought to live 10 years earlier.
So, you see, this is not a new phenomenon in the US. As our population continues to expand, established towns will become more crowded and new areas will become the "new" hotspot. You see it here in the Triangle where people are willing to move further out to get a new home, in a shiny new subdivision.
Of course, the economy has put the brakes on a lot of new development. Hopefully, people that transplant to the Triangle will see the value in buying in an already established area/neighborhood. There are plenty of great resales, that were well built and have mature landscaping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I understand exactly what you are saying. My parents moved us from Michigan to Cherry Hill, NJ when I was 13, in 1964. In 1964 it had a few housing developments, a couple of shopping centers, a mall, no downtown, & the rest of the township was farms & orchards. Over the years the farms were sold & sprouted into more housing develpments, apartments, condos & shopping centers. Now there's about 80K people, & the roads are packed. I can only imagine the shock & horror of natives here who see these changes in 10 or 20 years.

I currently live in Kings Mountain, 30 miles west of Charlotte. It's like Cherry Hill was in 1964. I don't want Kings Mountain to turn into present-day Cherry Hill, but because of the collapse of the mills, I know that there will be some change as businesses are brought in.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:21 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
My cousin's fiance is from Kings Mountain. I heard it's very nice there. I only drive through on my way to ATL, but I might have to make a pit stop there sometime in the near future.
Right now the town is a bit shop-worn, because of the mills leaving (Well. . . the empty mills are still here, just minus the jobs.) The officials are working on it. They are getting businesses in & have brought in some restaurants. It's coming along.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:12 PM

22 posts, read 34,728 times
Likewise, please let us keep some trees. I really like trees.

I've yet to cut a tree down in the south. In fact, I've planted at least a dozen and plan to plant several more in the very near future. Still trying to figure out... How on earth does "tree cutting" have anything to do with northerners? Are all of the developers in Weddington northerners, or are we simply brain-washing them to do our bidding?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:40 AM

92 posts, read 180,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I totally agree with you! I am for growth and I welcome anyone who wants to move to NC! Yes, I am a native NC'er and I'm glad that people want to move here, thus contributing to the tax base and bringing new cultures and ideas to this state! Like you said, most of the growth is occurring around the Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham areas and to a lesser extent, Greensboro and Wilmington! Like it or not, the growth isn't going to slow down, and once rural areas will eventually become more urbanized, so I guess, North Carolina is becoming the next Florida and in the next 10-20 years, the North Carolina we used to know will cease to exist, especially around the Piedmont region, where the more urbanized areas are!
Nah, I don't think most rural areas will become urbanized. My home county is rural and its in the piedmont and it will never become urbanized...well maybe a thousand years from now it could be, but not anytime soon. Because the people in charge will not let anything come to the county. No retail, not too many restaurants...they didn't even want the new library to be built, it took forever for them to approve it. They won't even let a mcdonald's or walmart be built in the county. Hardly any new small businesses even open here, except flower shops and antique shops. So the county has never had much growth. The only people who move here are those who were raised here, moved away and decide to return or those who have family here. Nobody else wants to move here. The counties around us have always grown though and add new retail and dining all the time.

I don't know how many other rural counties are like my home county, but if a lot are, then NC will definitely not become the next florida.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:32 AM

The way I interpret "becoming the next florida", is the whole state becoming full of housing developments and suburbs with houses crammed all beside each other. In the florida forum people who live there call the state "one big suburb". I've always wanted to move to florida since i was 12, so i've looked up cities there and looked at real estate in their cities. But every time i look at pics of homes in florida they're listed as having only .2 acres, .4 acres, .5 acres or some small acreage like that. the only houses ever listed as having just a simple 1 acre lot are old homes built in the 80s or earlier. most all the new homes have small lots, look like there are only 2 feet of space between most of them, and many have a little lake or pond behind them. I don't like any of that. I'm used to most houses having close to or at least 1 acre and having a couple yards of space between each house. So that's been kinda turning me off from wanting to live there when i'd want a house. Now i've been thinking i'd only live there while i'm young and don't care about space from neighbors. I don't think the whole state of NC will ever be crammed like people living in florida say their whole state is. We still have less than 10 mil and most people moving here are all going to raleigh and charlotte.

Old 03-17-2011, 11:34 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
Likewise, please let us keep some trees. I really like trees.

I've yet to cut a tree down in the south. In fact, I've planted at least a dozen and plan to plant several more in the very near future. Still trying to figure out... How on earth does "tree cutting" have anything to do with northerners? Are all of the developers in Weddington northerners, or are we simply brain-washing them to do our bidding?
I'm talking about the types of growth that occur with a large population of relos. We don't just have relos from the Northeast, and I did say I actually enjoy the diversity that relos bring to the area.

Good for you, planting those trees. I do love trees.

One of the saddest sights I've seen in a while was the removal of a gigantic oak from the future site of Parkwest Village in Morrisville (Cary and Morrisville might as well both be to blame. Cary demographics are what's luring stores out there).

It was depressing. That thing was probably there before the pilgrims landed.

*sigh*

Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,973,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani NC View Post
Nah, I don't think most rural areas will become urbanized. My home county is rural and its in the piedmont and it will never become urbanized...well maybe a thousand years from now it could be, but not anytime soon. Because the people in charge will not let anything come to the county. No retail, not too many restaurants...they didn't even want the new library to be built, it took forever for them to approve it. They won't even let a mcdonald's or walmart be built in the county. Hardly any new small businesses even open here, except flower shops and antique shops. So the county has never had much growth. The only people who move here are those who were raised here, moved away and decide to return or those who have family here. Nobody else wants to move here. The counties around us have always grown though and add new retail and dining all the time.

I don't know how many other rural counties are like my home county, but if a lot are, then NC will definitely not become the next florida.
What county is this? If they don't even have a McDonald's or Wal-Mart, then they are definately behind the times! I thought my home county of Davidson County (grew up in Lexington) was backwards, but this county takes the cake, no offense!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What county is this? If they don't even have a McDonald's or Wal-Mart, then they are definately behind the times! I thought my home county of Davidson County (grew up in Lexington) was backwards, but this county takes the cake, no offense!
Oh, no offense taken. Warren County. Everybody from here that ain't old has always been annoyed by the fact that the people in gov. here seem to want the county to be stuck in the past when it comes to businesses. It's the only county i know that lost amenities over the decades rather than gained them. The only fast food places we even have is BK, subway and hardees and a handful of local restaurants. in the 60s I hear they at least had a movie theater and in the 80s had a belk in the county. By time i was born there was not one clothing store or activity to do. Everybody has to go to vance, franklin and halifax just to go the movies, get more restaurant options, a walmart, and to go clothes shopping. And people have to go all the way to Rocky Mount, Durham or Raleigh if you want to go to the closest mall and do some serious shopping and get the most options.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatRoy1 View Post
Those of you worried about people from Florida, New York, and the Midwest moving in, buying up homes and land, and ruining the rural nature of North Carolina might want to consider counting your blessings.

Minnesota is becoming inundated with people from Chicago, Milwaukee, Detroit, etc. "seeking services." As support services are cut back in their home states, they move here seeking subsidized housing, food stamps, medical and mental health care, etc. MNCare (state subsidized health insurance for those with low incomes) is struggling to keep up. Our schools are overwhelmed with students needing Special Ed. Charitable organizations are drained of funds.

At least those moving to North Carolina are paying taxes. Minnesota should be so lucky.
I hope they are paying. I see so many license plates from New Jersey. Either they are driving and clogging the roads without paying their fair share, or so many are moving down I keep seeing new ones. You know, like cockroaches, if you see one, their are millions more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina