Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:42 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times

Advertisements

Yankee Transplant here to stay. If you do not like it, MOVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Yankee Transplant here to stay. If you do not like it, MOVE!
Why should people move if their families have lived here since the 1800s? Mine have.

There's nothing wrong with the natives being discouraged about the barrage of people piling into the area looking for the Holy Grail (cheap housing, good schools, jobs, etc) and potentially making the area less enjoyable in the process.

If more relos would employ a little more of the "When in Rome" attitude, I'm sure they'd see more "Southern Hospitality."

But, what do I know? I'm just a native, married to a relo who actually dislikes what this place is becoming even more than I do.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Well I feel like bluediamond may have meant her blunt "MOVE" comment to be directed at other transplants who complain about not liking the area.

However, if it is the other than you are right meh....that's ridiculous and natives or longtime residents are justifiable in being concerned about the effect of the giant wave of transplants of the last decade has had.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:16 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani NC View Post
Oh, no offense taken. Warren County. Everybody from here that ain't old has always been annoyed by the fact that the people in gov. here seem to want the county to be stuck in the past when it comes to businesses. It's the only county i know that lost amenities over the decades rather than gained them. The only fast food places we even have is BK, subway and hardees and a handful of local restaurants. in the 60s I hear they at least had a movie theater and in the 80s had a belk in the county. By time i was born there was not one clothing store or activity to do. Everybody has to go to vance, franklin and halifax just to go the movies, get more restaurant options, a walmart, and to go clothes shopping. And people have to go all the way to Rocky Mount, Durham or Raleigh if you want to go to the closest mall and do some serious shopping and get the most options.
Tyrrell and Hyde counties are the same, minus the having had stuff in the past part. I think the Andy's cheesesteak place that opened up in Columbia a few years back is the first fast food joint in either county. It's way too sparsely populated to support any real development. Growing up, going to McDonald's was a treat you got to do a few times a year, let alone eating at a real restaurant. It was an hour each way to Plymouth or Edenton to get new school clothes at Belk's or shoes from Latham's.

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 03-29-2011 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Well I feel like bluediamond may have meant her blunt "MOVE" comment to be directed at other transplants who complain about not liking the area.

However, if it is the other than you are right meh....that's ridiculous and natives or longtime residents are justifiable in being concerned about the effect of the giant wave of transplants of the last decade has had.
Well, if I misread her, I do agree with the sentiment. If you move here from someplace else, and this place doesn't suit you, I95 is pretty easy to find.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Tyrrell and Hyde counties are the same, minus the having had stuff in the past part. I think the Andy's cheesesteak place that opened up in Columbia a few years back is the first fast food joint in either county. It's way too sparsely populated to support any real development. Growing up, going to McDonald's was a treat you got to do a few times a year, let alone eating at a real restaurant. It was an hour each way to Plymouth or Edenton to get new school clothes at Belk's or shoes from Latham's.
I remember living in a town that had no McDonalds.

I'm pretty sure we were healthier back then.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:32 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default history and "progress"

Simply put people are living very different that earlier times, they want their life automated and taken care of for them. The change that is happening in NC is happeining ALL over the country, just at different paces.

Right now migration is a huge thing going on across the US, people are trying to run from their issues (big city cost, illegal immigration, no jobs, ect) but it is a cat and mouse game because it is nation wide issues that are driving these moves.

Most people cant admit to themselves that their behavior might contribute to the problem that they are trying to run from.

If everyone from NY or NJ were to move here and they all said that NJ or NY went downhill, ask them why it went downhill and why they think that it wont happen here?

Remember that all these homes are approved for building by local governments, not the people that have even yet to move here. If there were higher restrictions on building density then you would be able to preserve the NC feel. Who is in charge?

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
Simply put people are living very different that earlier times, they want their life automated and taken care of for them. The change that is happening in NC is happeining ALL over the country, just at different paces.

Right now migration is a huge thing going on across the US, people are trying to run from their issues (big city cost, illegal immigration, no jobs, ect) but it is a cat and mouse game because it is nation wide issues that are driving these moves.

Most people cant admit to themselves that their behavior might contribute to the problem that they are trying to run from.

If everyone from NY or NJ were to move here and they all said that NJ or NY went downhill, ask them why it went downhill and why they think that it wont happen here?

Remember that all these homes are approved for building by local governments, not the people that have even yet to move here. If there were higher restrictions on building density then you would be able to preserve the NC feel. Who is in charge?

Nicely put! It is, however, a circular thing.

People read in Forbes that NC is the best thing since the flush toilet.

They pack up the wife, the kids, and the dog and haul it on down here to NC where their NJ dollars from the sale of their overpriced house can buy them a house better than they had up there for way less money.

They tell all their friends, who do the same thing.

The realtors and builders here notice that people seem to be eager to pay top dollar for homes, so they start hatching plans to build even MORE top dollar homes (I, for one, remember when Preston and MacGregor were the ONLY places around here to buy a million-dollar home in a subdivision)... suddenly, there are places springing up all over the place where you can take your NY/NJ dollars and build your dream home... and so more people move here....

Enter the housing crash. Now, those homes people bought and built for 900k that would've cost them 3 times that much in NJ are houses that are worth about 700k and they STILL cannot sell them because the banks don't want to lend out for jumbo unless the clients have 30% or more down. And right now, not many folks have that to pay to buy a house that may not even appraise right now.

Sooo... things aren't as rosy... but you wouldn't know it according to the city planners and developers who want to build stuff like ParkWest Village in Morrisville (using Cary demographics, because aside from Weston Estates, and a tiny sliver of Preston, what high end stuff is in Morrisville?).

It's not just the relos (though I wish they'd researched better, some of them, and not thrown money around like it came out of a Monopoly game instead of their pockets)... perhaps we could've avoided the overinflation of prices here.

It's the city planners, who went nuts and started imagining that with their grand plans for expansion, they too could buy a house on the 14th hole out at Prestonwoods... (or whatever other golf community you wanna choose at this point, we have several).

Bottom line? This isn't Cibola. Stop treating it like it is.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:17 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default yep

the same people who follow the herd will continue to make mistakes with their money since they rely on media to tell them what to do. The media also told them to buy things they cant afford (they still do...or does the entire nation that is crying the economy is so bad really need an iphone)

The planners, builders and buyers are all still only doing what the local governments are permitting (literally) them to do.

If all these local wake county governments want to retain that small town feel ....(they all say that or have said that) then why do they appove the same exact plans that have overbuilt any buildable area by cramming in homes, put big box stores in that shut down mom and pop stores that are already in the next town over, create more traffic (hey I thought that bypass was to help traffic not attract it), and strain infrastructure?

If these things didnt occur you would still have a country feel. I understand progress but it is never balanced. Dollars motivate all of this.

Then everyone moves on to the next "country" that will be the next hot spot while complaining about the previous one...

Old 03-31-2011, 09:53 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shani NC View Post
The way I interpret "becoming the next florida", is the whole state becoming full of housing developments and suburbs with houses crammed all beside each other. In the florida forum people who live there call the state "one big suburb". I've always wanted to move to florida since i was 12, so i've looked up cities there and looked at real estate in their cities. But every time i look at pics of homes in florida they're listed as having only .2 acres, .4 acres, .5 acres or some small acreage like that. the only houses ever listed as having just a simple 1 acre lot are old homes built in the 80s or earlier. most all the new homes have small lots, look like there are only 2 feet of space between most of them, and many have a little lake or pond behind them. I don't like any of that. I'm used to most houses having close to or at least 1 acre and having a couple yards of space between each house. So that's been kinda turning me off from wanting to live there when i'd want a house. Now i've been thinking i'd only live there while i'm young and don't care about space from neighbors. I don't think the whole state of NC will ever be crammed like people living in florida say their whole state is. We still have less than 10 mil and most people moving here are all going to raleigh and charlotte.
All of Florida isn't like that, much of the state is still very rural and Southern. North Florida looks very similar to eastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina