U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:11 AM

95 posts, read 297,834 times

Advertisements

Hello!

Well first of all I am so happy for this City Date Forum site! I am so confused and need advise. My husband and I are from Los Angeles, CA. We recently moved from Los Angeles to St. George, UT just 3 years ago and we are so ready to get out of here and make the move to North Carolina.

Recently, we went for a week visit to North Raleigh and Durham and were extremely impressed. Like I said we are ready to make the the move. We just put our house for sale and once it sells we are outta here!

The reason for our move is due to low wages, job market is not good and it is getting expensive to afford. I have a legal career in the workers compensation field for injured workers' working for applicant attorney's for many years in Los Angeles California. Since Utah is a right to work State there is very little I can do here as far as my career goes. There are maybe 2 or 3 law offices that do workers' compensation but the attorneys know very little about the rights of injured workers and are not as agressive as what I am use to working for California attorneys. I am also fluent spanish.

My question is...since i am mexican american born and raised in Los Angeles, is North Carolina a place where I can be accepted due to my race and my work experence? How are the wages in North Carolina compared to South Carolina? I have not yet visited South Carolina but I may have to depending on the answers I get from the forum.

I am seeking to live where people are open minded, artist, different, liberal, accepting, and employers offer and care about their employees. I dislike having to seek employment on a constant basis. My last employer in Los Angeles I was with for about 15 years and I don't really care working for employers with so much turn over as they do here in Utah. It is unbelievable what I've been through working for Mormon employers and the wages are a joke! I need medical benefits, 401 K, IRA, vacation, disability insurance and of course a vacation and for sure sick days. There is really nothing like this here in Utah....but slowly the employers are starting to provide benefits but they still suck!

So how is it in North Carolina? It's just myself and my boyfriend and our dogs and cats. We need to find an area where they are animal lovers and also close to work and hip places to hang out at and met people with a flair of life and positive energy. We were looking around the area of North Raleigh but our realtor is telling us to seek in relocating to Cary. However, after reading about Cary it is more of a cookie cutter area and we don't have children. We are in our 40's and enjoy staying home inviting new friends over for dinner or go out to see a movie, dining, cafes, shopping or just a neat place to hang out. We love ATV riding, boating and nature. We have dogs so a neighborhood where dogs can feel at home and are welcomed to hang out with us at the cafes or resturants and of course a "DOG FRIENDLY PARK" cuz they love making friends too!

Last edited by The Casselli's; 07-16-2007 at 03:13 AM.. Reason: add more questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 07:27 AM

310 posts, read 1,196,660 times
You might want to read this thread

North or South Carolina?

Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM

40 posts, read 78,074 times
Smile Relocated from CA in 2006

Hi, I spent 9 years in Orange County and the past 9 years in the Bay Area. Relocated to NC in 2006 and would say it is similar to the Bay Area. It has the ocean and the mountains accesible within 2 hours..sound familiar. I am a realtor based in Raleigh helping people buy and sell homes in the North Raleigh, Falls Lake Wake Forest area where I live. I too had a set of criteria which needed to be met and found a realtor who used to live in CA who could relate to what I was used too.

What specifically are you home search criteria. Compared to CA you gate more for your money and a better quality build of a home. When compared to SLC I think it is a matter of home style and newer homes and developments. Moderator cut: soliciting

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-18-2007 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-17-2007, 07:40 PM

95 posts, read 297,834 times
Red face I'm afraid of hurricanes! Any in North Carolina...

Thinking of relocating to N.C. soon. Would like to buy a home in North Raleigh area or Cary but not sure about hurricanes.

Can anyone please tell us about this and where is the best place to buy a home and avoid hurricane problems and flood areas.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:57 PM

45,095 posts, read 56,964,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
Thinking of relocating to N.C. soon. Would like to buy a home in North Raleigh area or Cary but not sure about hurricanes.

Can anyone please tell us about this and where is the best place to buy a home and avoid hurricane problems and flood areas.
As long as you are not living at the coast you are fairly safe from hurricanes -though be aware they can move in an bring lots of rain and/or flooding every so often. But this is true of any coastal state, even New York. So, I wouldn't let that stop you from relocating to NC at all. Seek to live in areas that are not in flood plains and flooding won't be an issue.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:18 AM

2 posts, read 14,227 times
Both NC and SC are right to work states. Neither offer employment protection.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:46 AM

134 posts, read 297,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As long as you are not living at the coast you are fairly safe from hurricanes -though be aware they can move in an bring lots of rain and/or flooding every so often. But this is true of any coastal state, even New York. So, I wouldn't let that stop you from relocating to NC at all. Seek to live in areas that are not in flood plains and flooding won't be an issue.
Unfortunately, anything east of the Piedmont is flood plain (about half the state)....including the Raleigh area.

Definitely don't let it stop you from relocating--it's not like FL, where the hurricanes can just cross over the whole state from ocean to gulf. Yes, hurricanes can move over lots of land to get to the interior of NC, but that's generally rare.

It's a better bet that hurricane damage won't occur as much in the Charlotte area as it might in the Raleigh area, though.

Have you checked out the Asheville area? It also has a lot of what you're looking for--and it isn't really conducive to hurricanes. The occasional ice storm, though.

You'll find that most states are right-to-work.

As for visiting SC, take JohnE1000's post with a large grain of salt.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM

1,025 posts, read 2,534,365 times
No offense,

But from what you described, you sound like you want CA lifestyle, just located somewhere else. I lived in CA and WA (I grew up in NC). The west coast and east coast (SE) are hugely different in lifestyle, flavor and pace of life. I'm personally battling demons on whether or not it's worth moving back south. The south is GREAT!!!, but it's waaaaay different than the west coast. You may not realize it until you are here.

I'd say it's worth a shot and if you don't like it, then you can always move.

As for NC/SC, I'd say that Asheville or Raleigh are your best bets.

Good luck

Tony

Old 07-24-2007, 02:47 AM

25 posts, read 98,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Casselli's View Post
We need to find an area where they are animal lovers and also close to work and hip places to hang out at and met people with a flair of life and positive energy. --- We love ATV riding, boating and nature. We have dogs so a neighborhood where dogs can feel at home and are welcomed to hang out with us at the cafes or resturants and of course a "DOG FRIENDLY PARK" cuz they love making friends too!
Did you say dog friendly? North Carolina is not exactly the most pet friendly state in the country; same goes for SC. Most parks will allow them on a leash, and a couple of cafes might allow them if you sit outside at a terrace during summer time, but that's about it. And although most people in general are okay around dogs, some people are just plain rude and stupid about it.

Also, I personally find most cities in NC boring compared to other states, but it's still better than SC.

Investment-wise, North Carolina is the way to go. Property value is on the rise, despise some slower periods once in a while, prices have definitely not gone down. And there's just generally more going on compared to South Carolina. Although, of course, our entertainment scene and night life are a joke compared to places like Manhattan.

I wouldn't worry too much about racism. Sure, you might bump into some racist a**hole once in a while, mainly in smaller towns, but nothing terrible or anything.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:18 AM

15 posts, read 17,795 times
I would say move to the Raleigh/ Cary area in North carolina, in South Carolina you wouldn't find a better job searching area and you have mountains & beaches in N.C so u have what california have also if you ever want to move to South carolina go for the Myrtle Beach area atleast but definately north carolina I would say! And don't worry about hurricanes they usually hit the coast like Wilmington area but the farther you are from the coast the better chance of you not getting hit. I live in Florida planning to move to Raleigh and we have them cross over Central florida where I live (Orlando) but haven't had a hurricane since 2 years so I have no problem they usually skip us :/ I would rather get hit by a hurricane instead of a Tornado definately! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina