U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 20,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
In the part of NY I'm from they say "pop"..... in NC they typically say "soft drink". There are some extreme examples of different names that, for lack of a better word, only "rednecks" use. I once heard a guy call toast "barbecue bread". And grandmothers are often called "meemaw".
Right on! My "meemaw" lives in SC. My neighbor from Long Island has a two-year old son and she coined the term "Glamore" for her mother. So fitting, imo. When this same neighbor starting teaching English at the local middle school, she had the students write essays and they'd mention their meemaws. She was like WTH is a "meemaw." Then she realized they were "southern grandmas."

Never heard of toast called BBQ bread, but there is some bread either Merita or Bunny sells called Barbeque Bread. It's great buttered and toasted.

Not sure what jimmies are. Do you mean sprinkles that you use to decorate cupcakes? I call soft drinks, "drinks" and I use "buggy" for shopping cart and "subs" for those sandwich things.

Funny thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 PM

956 posts, read 4,067,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by li23 View Post
That was fun... I scored 47% Dixie and I am born and raised on Long Island -- maybe we have more in common with NC than people may think! or maybe the test is inaccurate...
I didn't get all the "You know you are from North Carolina" jokes though...
I scored 31 on the Dixie side. Guess being raised by parents originally from NC and my 17 years down there still kind of have a "holt" on me.

Oh, and I got all of the jokes and thought of a few more.

I work at a public university in the heart of Manhattan and my office looks kind of like the united nations. I am trying to educate them on the difference between a red-neck and a motor-head. Somehow they keep missing the nuance.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
St. Louis area, but on the East Side: Illinois.

When as guests, we generally try to at least sample whatever is on the menu, even BBQ, though I'm not afraid to say that it's not to my taste when I'm asked "now isn't that goood? what are you talking about with this Midwest BBQ stuff?" Fish or seafood is another thing entirely. And we have been invited to pig pickens, just been lucky enough to have a conflict of schedule. Sometimes at the last minute *wink* Meat on the hoof or paw is something we're mostly willing to at least sample. I've had fried squirrel, even raccoon. Bison is good stuff. Passed on the possum, though. The person wouldn't name the source of the meat and I was afraid it was something he'd literally picked up driving home So Brunswick probably wouldn't phase us. Cracklin' bread I had to look up. I might have had it without knowing. It actually doesn't sound bad, though I wonder where anyone got the idea to put orange juice in it.

You didn't mention grits, but everyone here seems to view it as a southern thang. When we had our "Discover Charlotte Trip": the weekend our company paid for to introduce us to an area where we'd have the choice to move or lose our jobs, we were "introduced" to grits. All of us Midwesterners looked at each other, looked at our hosts, and stifled a grin. Grits is also a Midwestern staple, though I think it's only the older generations who eat it. They pour milk, butter and lots of sugar on it, and scoop it right up.

Stuff that swims in its own toilet is what I've never been able to swallow, so seafood is out. Honestly. I used to spend summers in the NW, at the home of a relative who made his living as a sea fisherman. Everyone wanted to be his friend, since he had a never ending supply of crab, halibut, salmon .. fresh from the nets. I didn't see red meat again until I got home. Seeing my cousins eagerly grab those tiny forks you use to prise meat from crab legs ... *shudder* .... made my stomach turn. If we're invited to a food feast where the main course has fins, scales, or an exoskeleton, I bow out
My best friend from college is from Desoto, but his Dad worked in St.Lewis all his life (McDonald Douglas). My friend is definitely a country boy, but lives in Nashville and loves the city. Visits up here a couple of time a year. He scored a 68 on the test. Yea I was aghast when I saw them ruin good grits with gravy or hot sauce. Of course, I always preferred cream of wheat (I holding my pinky in a very pretentious manner).

My problem with the fish stew is that they don't remove the bones. I mean, I am trying to eat this stew and having to pick out the freaking bones.
My wife is the sea food nut in our house. I have learned to like some of the little varmints, but actually spit out part of a soft shell crab a couple of weeks ago. Yuck.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:34 PM

63 posts, read 192,825 times
Quote:
38% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.
LOL
Both my grandparents are from the PA area, so that's were most of my language comes from I suppose.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:50 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,891,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Take the test.
http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

My score was 55% Dixie. Not bad, considering I spent 70% of my life in the Northeast.

38% Dixie for me, I'm a yankee. I have some work to do

Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 PM

110 posts, read 415,146 times
Default What about the Greenville area?

I'm considering a job in the Goldsboro/Kinston area, but from everything I've read, not the place to be. What about Greenville? Not toooo far to drive. Looks like one of the suburbs (Winterville) is mostly newer homes (judging from what's on the market). Any suggestions? Any other former Oregonians who are happy in NC? I'm from a very small town in Oregon, although less than an hour from Portland. I love it here, but the cost of housing is killing me. I could pay cash for a house in Greenville with the equity in my house here and not have a house payment, which would sure help me get ready for retirement! But it's a hard decision.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:39 PM

110 posts, read 415,146 times
Cool test! I was 53% dixie - maybe I'll feel right at home in NC. I've only lived in California, Illinois and Oregon........but it was southern Illinois, and I was there over 20 years........guess it rubbed off.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin from Oregon View Post
I'm considering a job in the Goldsboro/Kinston area, but from everything I've read, not the place to be. What about Greenville? Not toooo far to drive. Looks like one of the suburbs (Winterville) is mostly newer homes (judging from what's on the market). Any suggestions? Any other former Oregonians who are happy in NC? I'm from a very small town in Oregon, although less than an hour from Portland. I love it here, but the cost of housing is killing me. I could pay cash for a house in Greenville with the equity in my house here and not have a house payment, which would sure help me get ready for retirement! But it's a hard decision.
I am probably not your best source, since Greenville is probably my least place on the planet. I lived in Greenville and Winterville. Was in the area 7 years. Winterville is a small town, that is in the direction of lots of growth in Greenville.
Maybe your years in Southern Illinois will prepare you for it, but just know that it is very different than the rest of Carolina. Eastern NC is much more old south in attitude and for me as a Midwesterner, a very hard culture to embrace and penetrate. Many others feel differently, as it has been growing steadily for about the last 30 years. If your only choice is Goldsboro or Kinston and you are determined to take this job, then Greenville or Winterville is certainly much better than either of those two.
PM me if you like.

PS-Niki - I promise I will play fair.

Old 08-25-2006, 02:23 AM

333 posts, read 1,095,421 times
Default Beggar's night??

Shows you what kind of life we live near Detroit lol

We are the ONLY place in the country to call the night before Halloween Devil's Night... here I thought that was a nationwide thing

I learned about the pop/soda thing in college - the east coast people called it soda as did the down south people. Pop we thought must be a midwest term.

38% Dixie.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:13 AM

42 posts, read 168,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
If you're in a military town, I'm not at all surprised that you're not happy. I have a great love for North Carolina, but I would hate to live in or near Fayetteville, Jacksonville or Goldsboro.

I personally love NC's beaches. All the one's I've been to have been clean and beautiful.

Goldsboro isn't as bad as Fayetteville or Jacksonville. I grew up in Goldsboro but really didn't know much about the air force being there. (Until I married someone stationed there )They haven't "taken over" like they have in Fayetteville or Jacksonville. (not overloaded with tattoo or pawn shops thankfully) We're currently in Fayetteville stationed at Pope. I'm just glad to be back in NC, but I sure wouldn't have picked the Fayetteville area. Too many military making up that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or