Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 07:58 AM

191 posts, read 999,453 times

Advertisements

I guess this is an odd question. I heard that most of the housing in NC does not have basements. Is this true? We are looking in the Concord area and with all the stuff we have a basement is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2006, 08:02 AM

333 posts, read 1,198,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaPGH View Post
I guess this is an odd question. I heard that most of the housing in NC does not have basements. Is this true? We are looking in the Concord area and with all the stuff we have a basement is a must.
There are not as many basements down there - they can be found though. I think part of it is the crazy elevation of many of the lots.... when I drove through I saw driveways at 45 degree angles in some areas.

I think the general consensus is about 30% or so of older homes have them so if its a "MUST" you can have it, but just have fewer choices. And in new housing you will pay more for the 'extra'. But its not "unheard of" like it seems to be in California.

When I first started researching I did searches in both Charlotte and Raleigh on realtor.com both with and without basements, and Charlotte had about 40% with basements and Raleigh was a smaller number, I think 30% or 25% - something like that. I was looking sub $300K so maybe at the higher price points there are more (or less) garages.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 AM

I wonder where people put all their stuff (treadmill, big TV, computers, Christmas stuff) if they don't basements.

Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 AM

333 posts, read 1,198,433 times
Quote:
I wonder where people put all their stuff (treadmill, big TV, computers, Christmas stuff) if they don't basements.
Big TVs are so 1990s. Now they hang them on the wall (plasma, LCD)

Computers also getting smaller and lots of people are going to laptops as the power of laptops is approaching that of desktops for only a small premium. With the "wireless" world we are entering people are going to be carrying around their computers with them throughout the house instead of "sitting at 1 spot" - but to answer your question people have computers in a "den" (extra bedroom if not a den), or in their own bedroom, etc.

Lots of houses have attics, or storage rooms over the garages - that seems to be where they store stuff. Nothing like having a basement in my opinion but if this is what they know, it is very normal. For someone from out of town we grew up with basements and probably have a lot more clutter!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:35 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,002,054 times
Just as a note, we dont have a basement (we did at our old house in apex), anyhow, we have our "stuff", tv, computer space, tredmill, eliptical and weights in the bonus room over the garage. Other stuff, we have in the storages spaces throughout the house (most places are going to attic storage of some sort.

We do have a sealed crawl space and we have our christmas stuff in there.

Leigh

Old 09-09-2006, 08:39 AM

That's true about the TV sizes but we have a basement with a total surround system and we still have the 57" huge tv (still works and looks great) So until the TV takes a crap, we're stuck with it. I can't wait to get a plasma screen!

That's right - I forgot about the bonus rooms that a lot of homes have there.That is a great option.

I'm sure I'll make it work!

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:50 AM

42 posts, read 138,784 times
Quote:
They keep them on the screened-in patio!
I don't. I have an extra room in my home for those things, but I've seen almost everything on an outside patio.
Yuk!

Old 09-09-2006, 08:53 AM

I wonder if I can keep the kids in the outside screened patio and all their stuff? Now THAT will save a lot of room.

. . . yes I'm only kidding . . I think

Old 09-09-2006, 09:29 AM

sounds beautiful!

The snowblower going with the PGh house - as an incentive to buy

Old 09-09-2006, 10:22 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,578,165 times
No basements. Is it because of a naturally high water table or the cost? Personally I love my basement. It is finished and I have my exercise equipment, television with surround sound and a seperate storage area down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina