Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 07:18 AM
JAS

582 posts, read 2,041,562 times

Advertisements

I'm 63% Dixie.

Not bad for someone who grew up in Florida (albeit northern FL, which is southern).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 07:19 AM

954 posts, read 4,377,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
. Pop we thought must be a midwest term.

38% Dixie.
I think it is a Northern Great lakes thing. I know that they call it pop in upstate too.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:53 AM

104 posts, read 386,874 times
My old boss lives in Manorville, way out on Long Island. She gets up at 3:30 a.m. to get to work at 7:30. Some people just have more ability to handle traveling.

I used to take the L.I.R.R., but moved to Queens. Now it's about a 50 minute door to desk commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
I agree about the kind of commuting many people do here. When we decided to move to NYC, we made the commitment to each other that we would stay as long as we could live in the five boroughs and not have deal with the two hour commutes. So right now I have my longest commute since moving to NYC. About 30-35 minutes door to door. For four years I lived on the same block as my office. Literally about 5 minutes. Before that I had a 12 minute walk from 3rd ave to 6th ave in Manhattan.
I certainly would not sign up for the kind of commuting that lots of Long Islanders and Jersyites do.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:20 AM

33 posts, read 133,996 times
I just posted this in the thread about relocating here to NC:

My husband and I are originally from MA. We decided to move to NC after we got married because of employment opportunities, affordable housing and a better climate. Of course we moved to NC during the ice storm of 2002 so the climate aspect was pretty ironic at first.

All in all we really like it down here. We are both happy in our jobs and have since purchased our first home. I would say that we did have to do some adjusting when we moved. Personally I have found the majority of people orignally from NC to be very nice, but there is also a good few who don't appreciate northerners one bit. I've done my best to do the "when in Rome" bit by smiling, saying hello etc., but some people simply don't like us northerners no matter what we do, good or bad. I hate to be judged based on what someone did before me, but the only thing I can do is continue to be pleasant and respectful.

The second part of moving here that has been VERY difficult for me is the racism. It's overwhelming on both sides of the coin. White vs. black and black vs. white. It's scary and sad. Of course that isn't to say that everyone is that way. I just seem to experience it much more here in the south.

Anyway, for the most part it has been a good experience. Definitely a learning one and the good definitely outweighs the bad. My husband and I are happy to be here. Although I don't know if it is our "forever" home.

Old 08-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1197 View Post
I just posted this in the thread about relocating here to NC:

My husband and I are originally from MA. We decided to move to NC after we got married because of employment opportunities, affordable housing and a better climate.
Where in NC did you move.

Last edited by Yac; 08-25-2006 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-25-2006, 11:36 AM

33 posts, read 133,996 times
We rented a townhouse in Mebane when we first got here and then we moved to a new community in Timberlake. We both work in Durham and Timberlake is about 30 minutes away. We found a wonderful starter home in a new development. Bought a brand new house on 2 acres of land for the price it would have cost us to purchase a HALF of a duplex where we used to live in MA. Ideally I would like to move a bit closer to everything though.

Old 08-25-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1197 View Post
We rented a townhouse in Mebane when we first got here and then we moved to a new community in Timberlake. We both work in Durham and Timberlake is about 30 minutes away. We found a wonderful starter home in a new development. Bought a brand new house on 2 acres of land for the price it would have cost us to purchase a HALF of a duplex where we used to live in MA. Ideally I would like to move a bit closer to everything though.
Oh yea, been through there many times driving between Greenville and Marion.
My wife says she wants to retire to Boston's North Shore area. Who knows. Happy in Brooklyn for now.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:08 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Wow. Bummer that you picked such a bad place to live. There's just no accounting for some people's taste. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/mgcheerful.gif (broken link)

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Where is this place that you speak of? This is what a typical parking lot looks like where I live in NC.

Last edited by Yac; 08-28-2006 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-27-2006, 06:35 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Default No fish biting here

[quote=T.S.;72588]The picture above was the local Wal-Mart earlier this afternoon. Here is the local BI-LO this evening. >>
----------------

Again, it's really a bummer that you CHOSE such a bad area in which to live and shop. Go pick a fight on another forum. I'm not taking the bait.

Cassie

Old 08-27-2006, 07:06 PM

336 posts, read 513,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Again, it's really a bummer that you CHOSE such a bad area in which to live and shop. Go pick a fight on another forum. I'm not taking the bait.

Cassie
Not trying to pick a fight or bait anybody, just posting what I see. This is not anywhere that I would call a bad area either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina