U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Central North Carolina
1,422 posts, read 5,111,265 times
Reputation: 950
Question Transplants: How is life for you in the U.S. South?

In the past 5 to 10 years, I've notice a great number of people have moved to the U.S. South (particularly North Carolina) form other parts of the country and the world. I've wandered how people from these areas felt about there new area, and how it differs from where they are originally from.

Are you from another part of the country such as the Northeast, Midwest, or elsewhere in the U.S. or the world, and have relocated to the South? What area (e.g., city, town, or region) of the South do you live? Furthermore, how has life been for you here (again, in the South) compared to where you originally come from? Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2006, 11:28 AM
 
5,265 posts, read 10,053,063 times
Reputation: 3998
I'm leaving. Nothing against the South or NC in particular. I think that while overrated, it is a nice place. I just don't think it is in my family's best interest to stay here any more. I'm headed back to NY, mostly for family reasons............ do you approve of this statement JAS?

Last edited by just_sayin'; 08-21-2006 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: JAS whined
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 11:35 AM
 
2,295 posts, read 95,163 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
In the past 5 to 10 years, I've notice a great number of people have moved to the U.S. South (particularly North Carolina) form other parts of the country and the world. I've wandered how people from these areas felt about there new area, and how it differs from where they are originally from.

Are you from another part of the country such as the Northeast, Midwest, or elsewhere in the U.S. or the world, and have relocated to the South? What area (e.g., city, town, or region) of the South do you live? Furthermore, how has life been for you here (again, in the South) compared to where you originally come from? Anything else?
That's funny you said that, I was in NC for 2 weeks and came back to Phoenix yesterday and I thought I was in a different world. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 AM
JAS
 
Location: Metro Atlanta
493 posts, read 1,153,472 times
Reputation: 365
Default south

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm leaving. here are some extra words, the minimum length of a post thing is stupid.

I think everybody by now realizes you are leaving. Perhaps you could elaborate since he didn't ask "who was leaving", but was instead trying to seek more specific feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
 
336 posts, read 23,459 times
Reputation: 86
I am from the midwest(Minneapolis, MN suburbs) and now living around Charlotte. One big difference I have noticed so far is the town are different. I think "i'minformed" mentioned this before in another thread. It is hard for me to explain the differences, but I have done much driving around and have yet to find a town that even starts to resemble an average town where I am from. I am not yet saying this is bad, but definitely different. Established neighborhoods outside the limits of a large city also seem to be hard to find. I am not looking for one, but it is something that I noticed. If I am not happy here in a couple years and have not found the life I wanted in this area, then I will try elsewhere since I don't yet have any kids to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 PM
JAS
 
Location: Metro Atlanta
493 posts, read 1,153,472 times
Reputation: 365
Default approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I'm leaving. Nothing against the South or NC in particular. I think that while overrated, it is a nice place. I just don't think it is in my family's best interest to stay here any more. I'm headed back to NY, mostly for family reasons............ do you approve of this statement JAS?

Yes -- your post now gets my seal of approval.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
 
44 posts, read 151,232 times
Reputation: 25
Ive lived in NC for the last 2 + yrs. but am originally from MA, lived in NYC for over 7 yrs. I had culture shock for the 1st yr. I moved here and the last year Ive just tolerated it the best I can. Personally, I cant get a handle on the southern thing, especially the area I am in. The beaches arent too far away but they arent as nice as up north, they are dirty and the ppl are not as friendly as I had heard. They dont really like educated women who have a voice. I would seriously research and visit where you are thinking of in NC, before any kind of move. The only place Ive heard good things about is close to Asheville and the Blueridge Mtns. Luckily, we are in the military, and will be leaving soon. Ive never been so unhappy in a state, in my life. If you want further info as to why, feel free to PM me. I dont want to upset anyone that likes it here. Good luck to you! I cant WAIT to get out of NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Marion, IN
8,192 posts, read 18,945,863 times
Reputation: 6610
I grew up in the metropolitan DC area, and then spent 20 years in Florida (which is different from the rest of the South).

I find that the pace of life is calmer here. Folks are not in some all fire hurry to get everywhere.

Old fashioned values are strong here. Kids are still sent outside to play. I actually saw a parent grab a teenager by his ear and march him right down the street to his own house today to tell his mother whatever he had done. These same kids call me ma'am (makes me feel old, but the respect is there) and my husband sir and we are 40 and 36 respectively.

Our neighbors not only helped us unload our furniture, but had us to dinner the first 2 nights we were in our new house because they knew we did not have our stuff unpacked yet. I lived in my house in Florida for 2 years before I even met my neighbors. And I am one of those people in life who never met a stranger.

It is just different here. I am glad to have found my new home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman Area
1,215 posts, read 2,456,024 times
Reputation: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by phf919 View Post
Ive lived in NC for the last 2 + yrs. but am originally from MA, lived in NYC for over 7 yrs. I had culture shock for the 1st yr. I moved here and the last year Ive just tolerated it the best I can. Personally, I cant get a handle on the southern thing, especially the area I am in. The beaches arent too far away but they arent as nice as up north, they are dirty and the ppl are not as friendly as I had heard. They dont really like educated women who have a voice. I would seriously research and visit where you are thinking of in NC, before any kind of move. The only place Ive heard good things about is close to Asheville and the Blueridge Mtns. Luckily, we are in the military, and will be leaving soon. Ive never been so unhappy in a state, in my life. If you want further info as to why, feel free to PM me. I dont want to upset anyone that likes it here. Good luck to you! I cant WAIT to get out of NC!

Are you in Jacksonville or Fayetteville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2006, 04:57 PM
 
44 posts, read 151,232 times
Reputation: 25
We're at Ft. Bragg...Cumberland County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top