U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:08 PM

983 posts, read 3,580,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
NC Highway Patrol is not a "state police" agency. It is a highway patrol. Many southern states do not have a state police agency, only "state patrol" or "highway patrol".

The primary duty of the NCSHP is to investigate wrecks that occur in unincorporated areas of the state and to enforce motor vehicle laws, plain and simple. While NC state troopers have state wide jurisdiction, they are assigned one area of the state to patrol, typically a certain county, and they hold no more authority than a deputy or police officer. You will not see a NC state trooper respond to a domestic or shoplifting call or something like that (unless another jurisdiction requests assistance and vice versa).

So I do not agree that there is any type of ranking among law enforcement in NC.
There IS a ranking among law enforcement. And it breaks down as previously mentioned. But troopers DO have a more extensive training than other LEO's. They spend 27 weeks at the Highway Patrol Training Academy undergoing para-military type training. They have former Marines "wash out" that can't take the training. You won't find a BLET or city police training academy as tough as Highway Patrol Basic School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:57 PM

75 posts, read 125,696 times
Wow lots of love for the Governors personal bodyguards. Yes they patrol their assigned counties for speeders and other violators of the GS-20 statutes. They also investigate accidents, and in turn must do as ALL OTHER law enforcement officers must do, notify family members of motor vehicle deaths. While I am a former Law Enforcement Officer who personally knew many SHP officers I think I can speak with a more educated opinion of that entire organization than most. I will say that the older members of the HP were the most tolerant and caring when it came to the issuing of what I consider frivolous citations. The older members did not feel the need to announce their presence with authority like the younger ones who did so with much vigor. They were actually were very vocal about the "new" blood who were entering the HP during my time in LE and they were not happy with them. They knew that when you present yourself as "God" you actually cause the entire organization problems with the "regular" people that you are sworn to protect and serve! The mentality of the NCSHP is one of arrogance that spills over in the way "most" of them interact with the general public. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. I am sorry to say that the current NCSHP have more of the former than the later.
The reason many LE officers want to become members of the NCSHP is because the pay is so much better than a city or county law enforcement officer. And the biggest thing is because they are mainly there to write citations. You would be shocked at the lack of care for ALL those in law enforcement who get a "kick" out of sitting in their air conditioned vehicle all day and do nothing but write citations. Yes its a dangerous job but trust me I have worked in law enforcement and I have worked in other professions and if you are smart, use common sense when dealing with others, have patience, and know when to be forceful and when not to be, the danger is negligible. We were always taught that if we wanted trouble it was just outside the door! So why would a trooper or anyone else invite trouble? Its all about the power and the ability to wield it. There is an old saying there are some people you cannot allow to have any power over others as they will abuse it. There are more people in the NCSHP who have this problem than any other law enforcement agency in the state!
Oh yes for those who may say I feel this way because I wanted to be a member of this organization let me say this. I never respected them before I entered law enforcement, and from the way they conducted themselves while I was a member of that community, they never gave me a reason to change my opinion of them.
Having said that I will admit that there are some genuinely good officers out there doing a fantastic job. Its just sad there aren't more of them!

Old 05-29-2011, 04:49 PM

1,477 posts, read 3,710,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
There IS a ranking among law enforcement. And it breaks down as previously mentioned. But troopers DO have a more extensive training than other LEO's. They spend 27 weeks at the Highway Patrol Training Academy undergoing para-military type training. They have former Marines "wash out" that can't take the training. You won't find a BLET or city police training academy as tough as Highway Patrol Basic School.
I don't how else to tell you, but there is no "ranking" among law enforcement in N.C. Please provide a source, unless this is your personal opinion then that is fine I understand.

CMPD has a 26 week long academy, are you saying they are "better" than all surrounding agencies simply because of the time spent at their academy? There are police academies in NC where people "wash out" all the time for whatever reason, it is not a situation unique only to the highway patrol.

The ticket issued by a trooper is the same one issued by a police officer, the same issued by a deputy, its the same wreck report, etc.

The same requirements to enter NCSHP is the same requirements to enter almost other agency in NC.

With all that said, I have nothing at all against NCSHP. They are a great organization and I will say that NC troopers have the best looking uniform I have seen.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:23 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,945,071 times
As a matter of fact I would say that CMPD are "better" than surrounding agencies. An Army Ranger shoots with the same weapons as a standard infantrymen, gets the same basic pay (not counting jump or dive pay), but it's still understood that he is "better". Better training makes you better. Just like a masters degree is better than a bachelor's degree.

I'm not trying to sell short anyone, and being one level of LE vice another doesn't make you a better (or worse) individual. I'll admit, pay is a big part of it, but most City Cops aspire to work for the Sheriff's Dept, people in the Sheriff's Dept aspire to be Troopers. This general ranking, for the most part and in my experience, is held among the LEOs in NC. Mayne the roots of the ranking simply come from the hierarchy of "city-county-state" of which the pay typically follows suit. I'm just saying this ranking isn't something I pulled out of my rear and came up with on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I don't how else to tell you, but there is no "ranking" among law enforcement in N.C. Please provide a source, unless this is your personal opinion then that is fine I understand.

CMPD has a 26 week long academy, are you saying they are "better" than all surrounding agencies simply because of the time spent at their academy? There are police academies in NC where people "wash out" all the time for whatever reason, it is not a situation unique only to the highway patrol.

The ticket issued by a trooper is the same one issued by a police officer, the same issued by a deputy, its the same wreck report, etc.

The same requirements to enter NCSHP is the same requirements to enter almost other agency in NC.

With all that said, I have nothing at all against NCSHP. They are a great organization and I will say that NC troopers have the best looking uniform I have seen.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:03 AM
LLN

5,027 posts, read 8,954,917 times
Anyone who routinely walks up, alone, to a darkened, occupied car, at night, has my respect. Period.

I don't know about an official ranking, but among the general public, I can assure you, that NC troopers are considered the top dogs.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:30 PM

232 posts, read 406,210 times
I agree that there is an assumed ranking structure. I think the HP is so highly regarded because of the rigorous training. I had a recruiter for the army tell me that they observe the academy every now and then because of how well its put together.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:28 PM

983 posts, read 3,580,216 times
First of all, I've been married to a deputy & a state trooper (2 different people--still married to the trooper, although he's a Motor Carrier Auditor now). There is definitely an "unofficial" ranking.

As for training, yes, Highway Patrol Basic School IS tougher than any other program, and it is much more difficult to get accepted into the Highway Patrol than say, a city police department program. Anyone with the money & can pass the criminal background test can get accepted into BLET, but they would not be guaranteed acceptance into the Highway Patrol School.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 7,942 times

North Carolina Police Departments all over the state have warned their officers to put their personal property (houses, land, cars and other assets) into someone else's name because they may now be subject to lawsuits from the People of North Carolina.

The warning was issued in response to the recent ruling that upheld that the local Police Departments in North Carolina are classified as "private entities" and NOT connected to the state of North Carolina.

Judicial Review Judge, Paul C. Ridgeway, Wake County General Court Of Justice, Superior Court Division, upheld a lower court ruling that most Public Officials / Agencies are "private entities." Judge Ridgeway upheld the earlier (1.17.11) ruling of lower court Judge J. Randall May in Class v. NORTH CAROLINA, Case No. 10 DOT 7047 (now known as 11 CVS 1559).

The police officers will now also have to fund their own Surety Bonds.

Judge Ridgeway's September 15, 2011 ruling creates a conflict in the public's perception of basic government legitimacy because Judge Howard E. Manning, Jr (who recused himself in August 2011) declared in Mr. Class' 4.21.11 hearing that "the Defendants were NOT 'private entities' or 'private contractors' ", but were "public officials."

Are the judges confused ? Are these "government" agencies and officials NOT what they're portraying to their constituents ? Are they immune because they're "private" ? Do we actually have government "agencies" and elect "Public" Officials OR do we deal with "Private Entities" ? Is the public being frauded ? So many questions ! So many conflicts !

Here's some background:

Judge May's original 1.17.11 ruling:
Page 1 [url=http://min.us/mbmc4SfNoQ]1.17.11 Page 1 Judge May 10 DOT 7047 - Minus.com[/url]
Page 2 [url=http://min.us/m9ygLN5Fe]1.17.11 Page 2 Judge May 10 DOT 7047 - Minus.com[/url]
Page 2A (marked for emphasis) [url=http://min.us/myxFZuE3d]1.17.11 Page 2A marked Judge May 10 DOT 7047 - Minus.com[/url]
Page 3 [url=http://min.us/mbrIPmoLma]1.17.11 Page 3 Judge May 1.17.11 10 DOT 7047 - Minus.com[/url]

Judge Ridgeway's 9.15.11 ruling upholding Judge May is viewable at:
[url=http://min.us/mbi7bovuy0]9.15.11 Rod Class NC Judge Ridgeway Ruling - Minus.com[/url]

Judge Manning's rambling recusal statement, that was the subject of the Ridgeway ruling, is viewable at [url=http://min.us/m6M40HRrB]8.19.11 Obstruction of Admin Justice NC Traffic case - Minus.com[/url]

Judge Manning's rambling recusal: [url=http://min.us/muCmadmgF]8.16.11 Judge Manning Rambling Recusal - Minus.com[/url]

The only legal law enforcement anywhere in the state is the county sheriff. Anytime you are pulled over for a traffic infraction the officer is guilty at minimum of violating ncgs 15a-1111 and 14-242 and if they tow your vehicle (unless it's a traffic hazard) aiding and abetting grand theft auto as well as conspiracy to commit as there are three requirements for lawful towing 1-Driving drunk 2-Driving drunk on revoked 3- No insurance. This can be found in ncgs 20-28. I have the utmost respect for old school peace officers but zero respect for these young wannabe Nazis. (The argument is not with the officer on the side of the road it is in the courtroom where you make him look the fool he is)

Old 11-02-2011, 11:59 AM

1,578 posts, read 1,868,990 times
Back in the day I had no use for the highway patrol as they were constantly on me. I know that by the high number of tix I got from them. Now that I'm a lot older and wiser and realize I was the problem, I have the utmost respect for them. They have a job to do and that's all they want to do is do it and go home safely. As for the "corruption", you'll have that in all jobs, you just don't hear about it. I think they do a great job and have some badass looking rides as a bonus.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:21 PM

1,477 posts, read 3,710,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRoyal10900 View Post
First of all, I've been married to a deputy & a state trooper (2 different people--still married to the trooper, although he's a Motor Carrier Auditor now). There is definitely an "unofficial" ranking.

As for training, yes, Highway Patrol Basic School IS tougher than any other program, and it is much more difficult to get accepted into the Highway Patrol than say, a city police department program. Anyone with the money & can pass the criminal background test can get accepted into BLET, but they would not be guaranteed acceptance into the Highway Patrol School.
I was just not going to respond but since the thread has been revived here it goes:

I know someone (very well) who applied to both Charlotte Police and the SHP at the same time. He was turned down by Charlotte but was hired by SHP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or