U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2006, 02:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,171,103 times

Advertisements

North Carolina is at the top of our list for relocating to. I was briefly at UNC many many years ago and that's about as far as my personal experience with it goes. But I hear wonderful things. I've been reading posts around here and will continue to do so. But was wondering which towns/ cities people woud most recommend?

Here's what we're looking for:

- Four seasons, but mild weather. Summers not too humid (can handle heat but that wet feeling bites); winters not too cold (but a little snow is nice here and there). We'd be coming from just north of NYC, so that's our frame of reference (I hate the winters here and the fact that spring lasts about 2 seconds).

- Job opportunities in computer graphics/ animation (for DH) and in academia or mental health settings (for myself: psychologist).

- Good public schools and child-friendly communities.

- Gentle, slow pace with short commutes for our everyday lives; with access to a bit of urban fun when the mood strikes. (Fully self-contained towns/ cities would be great if they can do both).

- While I love my car and enjoy using it a lot, I hate *having* to use it all the time, even to just get a gallon of milk or take the kids to the park (baby and toddler). I'd be nice to live somewhere where walking places is a reality but driving my car and parking it is not an issue either.

-On the same breath, my husband loves going for nature walks and we both would love to get into more biking and hiking.

- Nice view. We love the mountain views and hate seeing just flat horizon all around us. However, we currently live ON a mountain and it makes it very hard to do anything outdoors (even kids playing in the yard) because it's literally THAT sloped everywhere (we're not athletic enough to bike mountains )

- We love food and in the NY area that's one thing that is not lacking. We can find any ethnic food we want and it is GOOD. My husband is under the impression that other parts of the country are lacking in this culinary diversity. Is that so?

- Speaking of diversity, I am Latina, my husband is white and our kids are biracial. So it's important to us to live in a diverse area that is middle class and up and that our kids go to schools with diversity.

I know that's a mouthful but thought I'd put out there as much of what we've been thinking about and hoping for so that those of you in the know will be more able to help. I know no place is perfect and I know we will need to make compromises on some of our wants, but jsut thought I'd list them and see how close we can get to our ideal.

Thanks for ANY help you could offer ... and the more specific, the better since I know nothing about NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2006, 12:04 PM

956 posts, read 4,067,695 times
Asheville is what you have described.
Farther East will be too humid for you and Boone will have a little more winter than you want.
I lived in Western NC for 5 years and now live in NYC, so I have a good frame of reference.
Stay close to the city. Smaller towns are less open to outsiders.
Good luck.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:44 PM

913 posts, read 2,306,513 times
I'd say Asheville except for the jobs situation. I live here and this is not the place to be looking for a technical position such as you describe for your husband. Other than that, I think it has pretty much everything you are looking for.

I work for a software company and if I were to lose my job, I would have to move to find something comparable. Those jobs just are not available in this area.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:48 PM

787 posts, read 3,317,238 times
Asheville or at least closer to the mountain areas or the end of the Piedmont area going from coast to the mountains. If you hate humidity, stay out of the eastern part of the state.

Old 08-22-2006, 01:55 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,107,135 times
Hickory probably would not be to bad either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina