Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2006, 05:17 PM

6 posts, read 23,755 times

Advertisements

Can someone please give me a basic rundown on the real estate prices/schools for the Granite Falls area? I am thinking about moving my family(my wife,myself and four daughters ages17,14,13,11) to this area but can't get seem to get enough info from basic internet. It seems with the forum that good, bad or indifferent, I can hear from real people that don't stand to gain anything by giving me their opinion. Any help would be appreciated-tks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 04:40 PM

8 posts, read 25,139 times
Smile granite falls area info....

When I was looking at the area, I found 1 yr. old new construction 3 bed, 2 bath, w/ attached garage on an acre for 115000 and taxes ran $600/yr. I looked everything up on realtor.com.

Good luck!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM

49 posts, read 114,098 times
The high school for the Granite Falls area is South Caldwell High School. It's about 99% white, but has a huge socioeconomic diversity. You have the have and the have nots. Anyway, technology is pretty good there, but it's a bit hard to make friends since it's a lot of country people with their old ways. The big sport is baseball since they had a pitcher sign on to the major leagues just a few weeks ago straight out of high school with a 2 million dollar sign on bonus. There are a great variety of classes since the student population is about 1700. Most of the classrooms do not have doors or windows since they were build way back when people thought open classrooms were the best way to go (not!). Anyway, there are a lot of "hicks" and "rednecks" there, but it's a good school.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:48 PM

219 posts, read 962,296 times
We travel from Taylorsville to Granite Falls for my son's Boy Scouts. On the way there, it is very pretty with many houses , farms and some small developments. The town of downtown Granite Falls does look like it had a better day but it does not look like a horrible place to live

Melissa

Old 09-24-2007, 01:25 PM

25 posts, read 110,860 times
Contact Donna Laws with Baker Realty. She was a big help to us when we moved to Granite Falls last year (we have since moved away). She is very knowledgeable about the area having grown up there. She also would be able to give you a good idea about the town of Granite Falls and also surrounding areas as well as schools. Not sure if I can post a web-site here but their web-site is Baker Real Estate, New Construction, Property Management - 2310 Hickory Blvd.,Lenoir, NC 28645 Phone: 828-726-0003

We did not live right in the (very small) town of Granite Falls but on the outskirts between Granite and Hickory. We loved the area. VERY rural but within 15 minutes or so to Hickory and whatever shopping and dining you may need or want. For more high-end shopping you would probably need to travel to Charlotte. I researched schools on GreatSchools.net

45 minutes to an hour up to Blowing Rock and Boone and the Blue Ridge Parkway.

As far as housing goes, pretty much anything is an option. From double-wide trailers to custom brick homes built on the lake. We had bought a 4BR/3BA/2CG with a bonus room on 1 acre, hardwood floors, tile in the bathrooms, stainless appliances in kitchen, standard formica countertops, stone front with vinyl siding, gas fireplace for $234k last year. My mom had also looked at buying up there in the $125k range and those were 3BR/2BA/2CG with hardwood floors, standard kitchens, linoleum in baths.

Hope this helps some.

If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM

451 posts, read 1,905,033 times
The poster was asking about Granite Falls, North Carolina...if what you say is true, I hope the NC Granite Falls isn't like the one in WA!

Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,743,090 times
Granite Falls is located just north of Hickory. Do a search of these boards for: Hickory, Grace Chapel, Granite Falls, Hudson and Caldwell County. There has been quite a few posts this past year about this area.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:56 PM

14 posts, read 35,626 times
Hello All,
My wife and I recently bought land in Granite Falls and will be building in another year or so.
We are relocating from Maine.
I was hoping for some input as to what the need for plumbers is?
I am a master plumber and plan to go into business for myself when we move.
Here in Maine there are not enough plumbers to go around so I am hoping it is the same in the G.F. area. Im thinking of doing mostly service /repair with a little remodel thrown in. Is there room in the market and how well will a yankee be received ?
{I was actually born in S.C.} Thanks for any help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina