Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 09:42 PM

23 posts, read 53,049 times

Advertisements

Great info! thank you all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 09:46 PM

23 posts, read 53,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
New Bern has some very good schools, one of the best middle schools in the STATE is in Havelock, but is open enrollment, but that would be a haul from dropping off kids to Kinston. However, a fair number from New Bern attend.
I didn't consider Havelock to live in, how is it compared to New bern?

Old 01-25-2011, 05:35 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Havelock is too far to commute to Kinston (though their are a few people who make the opposite trek to work aboard the base. The community at large is all about youth. It has a big parks and rec dept. always something going on at the city park. Havelock is fine, a big secret, IMO. The traffic lights will make you late for work if you live in the city itself.

The farthest east you'd want live is on the 70 East corridor between Havelock and New Bern. Maybe as far east as Tucker Creek (which is the middle school the previous poster alluded to) which is in Havelock and just outside the city proper.

If you're focused on New Bern other neighborhoods I'd recommend are Brice's Creek, Neuse harbor, Stately Pines, and Carolina Pines. Basically anywhere between James City and Havelock. I'd also throw in Trent Woods and River Bend. My more practical recommendations from New Bern, considering your commute, would be neighborhoods in the vicinity of Trent Woods. There's also a short cut to US70 from US17 close to River Bend as well.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:54 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imanfaith View Post
I didn't consider Havelock to live in, how is it compared to New bern?
Havelock is a military town and it's obvious. You wouldn't want to live there with a family if you weren't military (plus it is, as mentioned, farther from Kinston).

Old 01-25-2011, 09:44 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,898,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Havelock is a military town and it's obvious. You wouldn't want to live there with a family if you weren't military (plus it is, as mentioned, farther from Kinston).

Francois, I'd like to know exactly what you mean by this. I'm not attacking you, but am genuinely interested in what your percerption and opinion is of Havelock, specifically and military towns in general. One b/c, Havelock is not a stereptypical military town. Two, I suspect your view of what a military town is, is colored by what a military town was. If that makes sense.

Last edited by macjr82; 01-25-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,577 times
You would be safe living in Kinston if you live on the western side of town. It's divided by east/west (and race), with most of the crime being in east Kinston.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:45 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I would consider this an uninformed post..at least the part about Havelock.

I am also a bit taken aback by someone who would not live in a "military town." How do you feel about those military guys DYING FOR YOU?

Repulsive. IMHO.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:42 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I would consider this an uninformed post..at least the part about Havelock.

I am also a bit taken aback by someone who would not live in a "military town." How do you feel about those military guys DYING FOR YOU?

Repulsive. IMHO.

Dying to line the pockets of GE, Halliburton, and Dyncorp maybe, not dying for you or me. Smedley Butler said it best: war's a racket.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:37 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,730,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post

Dying to line the pockets of GE, Halliburton, and Dyncorp maybe, not dying for you or me. Smedley Butler said it best: war's a racket.
Disk error on that one. Needs formatting.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,144 times
Question for everyone... my family and I just moved to Clayton, NC and my husband works out of Goldsboro. We are looking to move closer to Seymour Johnson AFB but we aren't sure where to move. We have a 4 yr. old son that will be going to school soon. Keep in mind we just moved from San Antonio, TX this past Sept. so we are used to things close by not having a drive so far to a gas station or even Walmart. Where would you recommend looking, town wise?? Also, job wise for myself.... Clayton doesn't offer much and is very small/country. I was looking at New Bern as well but wasn't sure about the drive to Goldsboro. Thoughts anyone??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina