Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Graham: rental truck, old dog, less taxes, insurance, bubble wrap, grown kids, great neighbor

Old 07-18-2007, 08:14 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times

Advertisements

In April of 2006, my husband and I found this forum. We "joined" in June of that year.

We have been living here for 8 days now. It was a long drive, very long, from Ft. Lauderdale to Graham. We had a rental truck with my husband and our old dog in that and myself and our cat in our Santa Fe. I must say the pets did better that we did.

For the newcomers who want to move here, do your homework. Research and visit. We were in the Raleigh area in May of 06 and the Triad in October of that year. We found what we were looking for in the Triad. Ft. Lauderdale is very crowded and hectic and we were looking for someplace that wasn't so congested. We are in our 50's. Our son got married in June and is still in Ft. Lauderdale. Our daughter is engaged and is living in Jacksonville, Fl. We miss them but they are going on with their lives as we are with ours. And we are a few hours away by plane and 12 hours by car to South Florida with Jacksonville obviously closer. They supported our move which made it easier.

Aside from the congestion, we were looking for our "last" home. Our taxes are less here as is our insurance for both car and home. Other things are about the same. We could retire as my husband officially is but will try and find work to keep busy and it never hurts to have money to spend wisely.

We don't think life will be automatically different here. The same issues, problems and good things are going to be here just as it was in Ft. Lauderdale. So we do not have unrealistic expectations. But we gain mountains and the beach. Seasons which I have missed since my move 35 years ago from Chicago. Really, really nice neighbors and a little bit more laid back lifestyle.

We researched and came in with our eyes wide open. So far we hate everything that has to do with boxes or bubble wrap but I am sure we will get over that when we are totally unpacked which by the way may not happen in my lifetime. Boy are we packrats!

Anyway. Go for what you want in life. It's too short. Obviously you must watch out for the interests of your children and family members. Just know that it is not a utopia here. Just a very nice place to live and a place to enjoy and explore. Different from where you come from. And by being realisitic, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks to everyone on this forum and those whose names I don't see much any more (JAS, Bethanytedder, RaleighRob, I'informed) for all the input. We really did get a lot of great, honest information here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 10:57 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
Congratulations on your move. I hope that y'all will be happy here for many years to come.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:54 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Good for you! We'll be in the same spot within 5 years and although the thought of leaving grown kids behind and losing that day to day connection of grkids and the like, we must keep foremost in mind the fact we have a life to still live too! And no doubt, your kids will visit often and as it happens, move your way before too long themselves! As a compliment for you, you sound like someone I'd love for a neighbor! Good Luck!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
Congratulations on your move. I hope that y'all will be happy here for many years to come.

Thanks Niki. And thanks for all the replies to our ealier questions. Your posts have been very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good for you! We'll be in the same spot within 5 years and although the thought of leaving grown kids behind and losing that day to day connection of grkids and the like, we must keep foremost in mind the fact we have a life to still live too! And no doubt, your kids will visit often and as it happens, move your way before too long themselves! As a compliment for you, you sound like someone I'd love for a neighbor! Good Luck!"

smalltownusa: Good luck to you down the road when it comes time to move. We are hopeful the kids will move this way. But if not, we can still visit. My daughter has and extra room and a lot of suggesting on my part caused my son to get a sleeper sofa. You sound like a great neighbor too and you will fit in here quite easily.

Thank you both for your kind words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina