U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,093,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
It's comical that people move to NC because they think it's cheap, never snows, and we're all oozing with Southern Charm.
wait! It isn't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM

265 posts, read 260,824 times
Every place isn't for everyone. What's great about this big country of ours is that you have so many options to choose from when it comes to a place to live, and you're free to move to any of them!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:05 PM

30 posts, read 54,608 times
I can empathize with your feelings about North Carolina. I moved to the Raleigh area 14 years ago from the Northeast and have never really felt at home here. I miss being in a vibrant metropolitan area with plenty of entertainment venues and cultural diversity. Raleigh is basically a sleepy Southern hamlet that cannot accommodate the demands of a growing metropolis.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:34 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,444,834 times
Thank you for starting this thread. I thought I was the only one too after I came down here from Michigan a year and a half ago. But then, I came only because I couldn't find a job in my field--or any field--back home.

I mean, NC is beautiful, the Triangle is great, the people are nice and the winters mild, but even after all that I just feel kind of "meh" about the whole thing. But everyone else here LOVES it! I feel like I'm the only one who isn't jumping for joy at living here. So I usually just go along with the good things without mentioning how I really feel because I don't want to look like a grouch.

Maybe it's homesickness. Maybe it's living in a rural, depressed area where I haven't been able to find many people I can relate to. (I live an hour north of Raleigh) I don't know. All I know is that, at the moment, NC isn't bad--but the idea of spending the rest of my life here--away from all of my immediate and extended family--terrifies me. I miss the midwest, the wide open fields, the north woods, the beauty of the great lakes, the cooler summers and--yes--the snow, and people I relate to. Here I feel a little disoriented, disconnected. I still don't feel like I belong here, and I don't think I ever will. It's just that there are no jobs back home to be had.

Last edited by mackinac81; 02-06-2011 at 09:47 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM

610 posts, read 2,749,429 times
No, there is nothing wrong with you not liking it here.

I was born and raised in NC and I do not like it here. Every time I take a trip out to places like Wyoming or Colorado, I feel like that is where I belong.

The people in NC seem rather weird. It seems like everyone that grows up around here only hangs out with their buddies from high school.

Even though I was born and raised in NC, everyone thinks I am from up north because I do not have a southern accent and I do not "look" like a native North Carolinian.

NC still has many racial problems too. The NAACP is always complaining about something.

I am losing my patience with this State....

Old 02-07-2011, 07:13 AM

265 posts, read 260,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
NC still has many racial problems too. The NAACP is always complaining about something.
The last time I looked, that's not confined to NC.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:07 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
Gracious no! There is nothing wrong with you!

I have lived in NC for almost 6 years now......there are still times I find myself in tears wanting to move back home (California!)

If DH were to agree to move, I would be out the door.....but DH and the kids love it here. Sigh.

Dawn

Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 PM

1,696 posts, read 3,978,144 times
NC is not for everyone (though if its snow you miss, my brother in boone has more than he wants every year LOL)

if youre not happy, go. No need to make yourself miserable by staying. do whats right for you

Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 PM

7,180 posts, read 11,195,308 times
I'm another one that doesn't find this area to be all I thought it could be. Given the choice to live here for my job as I do now, yes, we would do that again. However, it's not our favorite place to be.

And there's no way in h*ll I'd ever move back to my native NJ. That place is the armpit of America.

We've relocated several times since 1990 and I find myself homesick for the last place we lived (Central MD near Gettysburg, PA). We only lived there for a little over 2 years, but we took to the history, beauty, recreation, etc of the area quite well. I truly wish I could return there to live, but that is just not in the cards.

We'll roll the dice again on a new area one day. I figure I've got three moves left in my lifetime. The first into a downsized house for when our kids move out and we still need to be here for our jobs. The next move will be down to the eastern sections of GA or SC to be closer to the cruise ports in Florida.

Of course, the last move will be into an Urn on the fireplace mantel at my widow's place!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:58 PM

103 posts, read 151,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanoption View Post
I cannot stand living here, but everyone who lives here likes it, so Iím starting to think that something is wrong with me for not liking it. I like the Northeast more, but then I see some people from the NE moving to NC, and then I think that Iím wrong for wanting to move back.
No Itsnotanoption, there is nothing wrong with you. The northeast is a fabulous place to live, usually first in the country to experience trends, faster and more sophisticated. If you are from the NE and moved to NC, I can relate to you having a very hard time acclimating or liking it. Personally, I had to live in NC for two years by default (a personal downturn) and the moment my life turned around for the better I left skid-marks on I-95 hightailing it back north.

I know this is all subjective and people will say how much they love NC, how they would hate the northeast, blah, blah but if you are from the north, there is a good chance you will not enjoy living in the south unless perhaps you are ready to retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina