U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 04:38 PM

1,185 posts, read 813,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
What's with the Winston Salem misinformation on this thread? Winston Salem is on the same tier as Greensboro, Charlotte and Raleigh. In the past election it went by a 10 percentage point margin to Clinton.
If you're going by that, I'd still say not really. Forsyth county is turning bluer, but not to the extent of some of the other metro areas in the state.Sure, Clinton won it by 10 points but Cumberland County (which I wouldn't necessarily call a liberal place,
) voted in her favor by 16%. Wake (20.5), Mecklenburg (29.9), and Guilford (20) all voted for Clinton by at least 20 point margins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 04:59 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
If you're going by that, I'd still say not really. Forsyth county is turning bluer, but not to the extent of some of the other metro areas in the state.Sure, Clinton won it by 10 points but Cumberland County (which I wouldn't necessarily call a liberal place,
) voted in her favor by 16%. Wake (20.5), Mecklenburg (29.9), and Guilford (20) all voted for Clinton by at least 20 point margins.
Cumberland County has nearly a 50% minority population of which around 36% is Black, the rest mostly Hispanic, hardly a breeding ground for Trump voters. Forsyth County has much more of a Caucasian population 68.5% versus 50% in Cumberland, a Black population at 25% and only 6% Hispanic. Also taking away the lack of a major public state university like Guilford, Wake and Mecklenburg I would say Forsyth did surprisingly well considering it's the home of a sizable Baptist-affiliated university and medical center.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:27 AM

5,494 posts, read 5,033,284 times
Don't forget, we are Gerrymandered like crazy...

Please move to a conservative area and vote liberally!

Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 PM

181 posts, read 210,411 times
City-data has red/blue pie charts of how areas voted in the last election. That will have all the answers you need without starting a political fight

Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,624,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Cumberland County has nearly a 50% minority population of which around 36% is Black, the rest mostly Hispanic, hardly a breeding ground for Trump voters. Forsyth County has much more of a Caucasian population 68.5% versus 50% in Cumberland, a Black population at 25% and only 6% Hispanic. Also taking away the lack of a major public state university like Guilford, Wake and Mecklenburg I would say Forsyth did surprisingly well considering it's the home of a sizable Baptist-affiliated university and medical center.
WFU severed its ties with the Baptist State Convention of NC in 1986. In fact, WFU was something of a thorn in the side of the BSC for many years before the split.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 PM

647 posts, read 358,582 times
I hope they hurry and rename Fayetteville State University to UNC @ Fayetteville.
So I could say something positively statistical about it.

Methodist University is a pretty good college I could imagine, though FSU brands itself negatively, I'd like to see it as a Well Ranking university that could compare to NC state and Chapel Hill in the future without the costs.
Methodist might be well ranking, I hear it's pretty good, but 1/3 of the size of FSU, so quite small.

I've been inside FSU and it's definitely not run down, but could use effort from the state to bring it up.

Back on topic, most urban areas in the state are liberal except Fayetteville, Wilmington, and occasionally Charlotte.

But as a Republican who voted Trump / McCrory / Burr / Robertson
I don't feel out of place outside of Fayetteville, Wilmington, and Charlotte if that is what you are wondering.
Sure, I wouldn't move to Raleigh or Asheville, but i would definitely travel there temporarily and converse with the residents, I'm not Anti-Social to liberals, even in politic based conversations - Until outrageous claims copied from CNN comes about. I could go with any area of the state. I like it here in the state. If the entire state though like Asheville, then that would be a serious problem - Liberals could probably agree, but It's pretty even right now.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 AM

10,622 posts, read 11,204,862 times
Archer, I'm glad you like Fayetteville, but you are seriously delusional if you think Fayetteville State will EVER begin to compare in any way with NC State or UNC. FSU would be doing awesome if they could catch up with NC Central a little more.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:39 AM

647 posts, read 358,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Archer, I'm glad you like Fayetteville, but you are seriously delusional if you think Fayetteville State will EVER begin to compare in any way with NC State or UNC. FSU would be doing awesome if they could catch up with NC Central a little more.
I know that lol, I'm just saying that it needs more support, I should've said UNC Wilmington/Asheville. New group of students every 4 years, lower the acceptance rate tremoundsly, raise the budget, and FSU would be something Fayetteville could actually be proud of having, I would say it would Fix Murchison Road, but not sure as that didn't really work well for The area around Duke.

The only thing that could fix Murchison Road is closing the gate to Fort Bragg and bringing manufacturing jobs while encouraging more gentrification and large apartment complexes. Annexing Shaw Heights is a start, rezone to industrial or Multi family Residential will put Murchison Road to a start. Same for Bonnie Doone, except keep that gate open, and encourage Conteactors to base in Bonnie Doone.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:15 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,437,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard2 View Post
City-data has red/blue pie charts of how areas voted in the last election. That will have all the answers you need without starting a political fight
I found this wonderful map recently. It's a precinct map which shows the magnitude of victory, not just the winner of the precinct. The historical east/west divide is very visible on this map.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...maps.html?_r=0

One grain of salt I would add is that this is Clinton vs Trump, not necessarily liberal vs conservative. The venn diagram might have a lot of overlap for those but it isn't the same.

A second grain of salt is that it doesn't show the precinct borders, so it can be kinda hard to tell what the population density is in different areas in neighboring precincts that had the same outcome.

Last edited by Vatnos; 08-07-2017 at 12:29 PM..

Old 08-09-2017, 01:59 AM

4 posts, read 3,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Don't forget, we are Gerrymandered like crazy...

Please move to a conservative area and vote liberally!
Wait..... So people of like mind who prefer to live, work, shop and play in areas with others of like mind... Why on earth would one intentionally move to those areas for the purpose of changing it all up?

Why can't people live in peace they way they desire?

Would you recommend thousands of highly conservative, hard core Trump supporters move into Asheville for the sole purpose of manipulating the political and social atmosphere?

Many people move to areas because the social atmosphere aligns more closely to their own preferences. Are we so intolerant of views different from our own that we feel it necessary to move into areas populated by other views for the sole purpose of changing them?

I don't like the lifestyle, political outlook, and social atmosphere of Chapel Hill, but I'm not so intolerant to think they can't live as they please in the atmosphere they prefer. Their views differ from mine, so I wouldn't move there. I certainly wouldn't do so just to screw things up for them by suggesting conservatives flood the area to force change on them.

So why is the party that demands tolerance so intolerant of others views that they'd seek to do that to them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina